Location of Lath Eskan (and other locations missing from the maps in the Guide to Glorantha)

Jex

So, I'm in the process of reading through the Guide to Glorantha from cover to cover.  It's been slow going, because as I read the entry for each site I've been trying to find it on the map, and that's not always easy particularly for the sections, like Fronela and Fonrit, that cover large areas split over multiple maps, and it sometimes takes time to find the location.  A few times I was unable to find a site on a map, but in each case a web search turned up a post by someone else asking about the site in question, and it turned out that either (a) the location was specified in an older book, or (b) at least there was confirmation that its location wasn't specified on the map and I hadn't missed it.

But now I just finished the section on Kothar, and there's a site that's got me stumped.  I can't find Lath Eskan on the map, and this time a web search didn't help.  All the Guide to Glorantha says about the site is "This oasis is where Pamalt broke the mask of Trickster and freed him from his own worst trick."  So it's apparently somewhere in Kothar, but Kothar is a big place, and it doesn't seem to be on the map; I was wondering if anyone has any idea where it was (or, conversely, could set my mind at rest by confirming that its exact location hasn't been established).

I suppose this isn't really particularly important, given that I don't anticipate running or writing an adventure set in Kothar any time soon, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Glorantha, and it bothers me a bit not to know where something is, though again it'd bother me considerably less to have confirmation and know for sure that its location isn't defined and that I haven't just missed it.

Edited by Jex
Changed the thread title, since the topic seems to have broadened
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Whoops, yes, you're right, of course; I meant Tarien, not Kothar.  Got the sides of Pamaltela mixed up.  Still, though, yeah, I couldn't find it on the map and couldn't find any information about it online so I was wondering if anyone knew where it was or if it hadn't been specified.

(I think the reason I had Kothar on the mind was that there had been a different location in Kothar I couldn't find in the maps in the Guide to Glorantha: Manelarpanan.  But in that case I checked the Argan Argar Atlas, and it turned out that while for some reason Manelarpanan wasn't labeled in the maps in the Guide, it was marked in the Atlas.  But I checked the Argan Argar Atlas for Lath Eskan, and no luck.)

4 hours ago, Jex said:

Still, though, yeah, I couldn't find it on the map and couldn't find any information about it online so I was wondering if anyone knew where it was or if it hadn't been specified.

Think it just didn't make it onto the map. There's a few spots like that - think I found some site in Zamokil not on that map a few years back.

10 hours ago, Jex said:

I can't find Lath Eskan on the map

It's not there, it's been missed out. I've gone back to the original edits when we were doing the Guide, then traced back to the Missing Lands, Stafford library book. That contains the same entry. That comes from the unfinished Pamaltela book (of which there are two different versions, 1987 & 1988...) that didn't go in to the Glorantha boxed set. The 1988 has a map that has the location of Lath Eskan!

X marks the spot in the AAA

image.png

If you find any more entries that have missing info, please let me know and I will add to the Guide Q&A page

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh, wow, thanks!  To be completely honest, I wasn't necessarily expecting to be told the exact location; I would have settled for getting confirmation that it wasn't there and that I hadn't just missed it.  But of course actually finding out the location is much better!

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

If you find any more entries that have missing info, please let me know and I will add to the Guide Q&A page

Oh, I did find more entries that were missing from the maps, but I didn't ask about those because I'd either found them in other sources or found a post by someone else asking about them that confirmed they weren't on the map.  But if you want to know about them for the Q&A page, let me try to remember...

• As I said in a previous post, Manelarpanan in Kothar isn't labeled in the Guide,  though it is labeled in the Argan Argar Atlas.
  • The section on Fonrit describes Benestros, but it doesn't appear to be labeled on the map.  (I found a forum post speculating that it was synonymous with or included within Gargosganda, which seems plausible but doesn't seem to be confirmed.)
  • The cannibal island of Motumobabi in the East Isles does not appear to be labeled on the map.
  • In the section of Maniria, Troll Mountain and the Haunted Fields are not labeled on the map.  I did find an older source that showed they were next to Ice Peak, but this isn't clear just from the Guide.  (Granted, the description of Ice Peak does mention "a nearby troll stronghold", and it's reasonable to guess that might refer to Troll Mountain, and certainly it makes sense for a troll hunting ground to be near the troll stronghold too, but the Guide doesn't explicitly say so.  As a matter of fact, until I found the older source confirming their location, I'd guessed that Troll Mountain and Haunted Fields might have been in that area, but dismissed that idea because I thought it was unlikely that the Haunted Fields would be so near the Temple of Peace, but it turns out they were there after all.)

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, but there might have been more.  If I remember any others, I'll let you know.

Oh, wait, one more, though this one's maybe a bit more obscure.  The entry for Hornilio says that the goblin Queendom is "a few hundred miles south along the coast from the Cliff of the Agankar Wind", but there's no other mention of the Cliff of the Agankar Wind and I couldn't find any indication of its location.  (For that matter, a few hundred miles is a long way, and it would be nice to get a more specific location for the goblin Queendom—though of course that's not really important since it's not a place many PCs are ever likely to be going.)

• Jex changed the title to Location of Lath Eskan (and other locations missing from the maps in the Guide to Glorantha)

@Scotty: Oh, I think I just ran across one more.  Currently reading the section on Umathela, and there's a description of a port city called Gargulla, but I couldn't find any city by that name on the map, either in the Guide to Glorantha or in the Argan Argar Atlas.  There's a city called Govgulla  on the Jarasan Gulf, but that's a different city with its own separate description in the Guide.  There's also a Garguna in Fonrit, but, again, that's a different city.  I can't find any city on the map called Gargulla.  Apparently I'm not the first person to notice its absence; a web search turned up a relevant post from a few years ago, but with no apparent followup or resolution.  Seems like an interesting city, with its own Gnostic-flavored sect of Malkionism, and it would be nice to know where it is.

(Also, FWIW, since the topic of this thread seems to have broadened, I changed the thread title; hope that's okay.)

On 6/14/2023 at 11:00 AM, Scotty said:

Yeah, I've never been able to find the region Benestros in Afadjann on the AAA, supposed to be the breadbasket of that realm.  I asked about it on here a few years ago and I seem to recall jajagappa helping me to settle on situating it near Blue Man Hills in Gargosganda, but I've never seen an official map marker for the place.

Edited by dumuzid
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:57 PM, dumuzid said:

Yeah, I've never been able to find the region Benestros in Afadjann on the AAA, supposed to be the breadbasket of that realm.  I asked about it on here a few years ago and I seem to recall jajagappa helping me to settle on situating it near Blue Man Hills in Gargosganda, but I've never seen an official map marker for the place.

In a copy of Missing Lands annotated by Greg, after the original 1998 publication, Benestros is written in Pencil on the map on page 68, here it is added to the AAA

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1