Brainstorming (D&D like/CF) Setting specific ideas about other planes... just dreaming aloud, join if you dream about planar travel too

Working on a fantasy settings right now. Use Mythras-Classic Fantasy for the rule system - it is the closest system to what I wanted, just adding some minor lore specific requirement on spell casters.

Anyway, I plan to have (arch)angel, (arch)demon, and other extra planar entities having a big role and impact and presence in the upcoming adventures. Which begs the question, how do the players travel over there?

I guess other plane of existence was not really that important and a lot is left to the imagination... Hence my brainstorming here!

First there is a large soup of planes I have little interest in (all the inner planes: elemental planes, positive, negative), might just... ignore them (they be in "scholarly book" untouched, why bother change them either way, but no relevance)

Then there is the ethereal plane... only seem to be there for ghosts and such. With no spell to get there. feels cool but also redundant and only there to confuse thing further, kind of want to scrap it, spirit simply have an immaterial state that is on off? How about that?

Finally the interesting bit, Astral Planes, Outer Planes. For the look factor I imagine the astral sea being like deep space, only with no spacetime... ahem, cough, cough,... only thoughts and mana, but in which realms/outer planes floats like a fractured island in space. One need spell to get there and survive (somewhat physically? in this plane of thought an magical energy? without a concept of space or time... I like to have a boat with a bubble of real space "floating around") then one can "move" (remember, no spacetime, hence the quotes) about and find outer plane / island, which are very much like discworld+a tardis.

Now what kind of spell would I need for that? Probably all rank 5 I imagine.. but Astral Spell ain't it... 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

• Lloyd Dupont changed the title to Brainstorming (D&D like/CF) Setting specific ideas about other planes... just dreaming aloud, join if you dream about planar travel too

Gates, Magic Items, Portals, Whirlwinds that scoop them up and spit them on on the Astral Plane, Being carried there by Demons or Angels, Spells, lots of different ways.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

transitory portions of the normal world that allow transition might be an alternative to portals, a gradual switch into the unreal/magical/holy.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, soltakss said:

Gates, Magic Items, Portals, Whirlwinds that scoop them up and spit them on on the Astral Plane, Being carried there by Demons or Angels, Spells, lots of different ways.

me thought further.. maybe Astral Spell is fine, it's safe at least... but yeah there should be Gate spell, and maybe Reality Bubbly spell, an overpowered spell which allow to create a safe bubble of normal reality in the astral plane! 😄 But anyway, they will probably find and use an astral boat, a simple device taking care of the issues... Being able to navigate the astral sea! 🙂

And I guess astral denizen of relevance will automatically materialize a body when reaching prime material plane and/or bubble of reality, so there is that too!

• 4 months later...
On 6/15/2023 at 3:02 AM, Lloyd Dupont said:

they will probably find and use an astral boat, a simple device taking care of the issues... Being able to navigate the astral sea! 🙂

Am I correct in that you are not familiar with and haven't checked out Lovecraft's Dreamland cycle of stories and Chaosium's Dreamland manual?  In that Mythos, there are many ships that sail the astral/extraterrestrial/interstellar seas.  

On 11/9/2023 at 11:40 PM, Lloyd Dupont said:

Indeed, I haven't anything.. except some interesting tidbit in rule books...

not much of a Lovecraft fan, truth be told..

The "Dreamlands" isn't much like other Lovecraft.
It's much closer to Gaiman's Sandman stories (or the recent Netflix adaptation).

C'es ne pas un .sig