Who took the Quest for Temertain in 1613?

Yinkin

In 1613 the Stafford House Campaign tells us

4/3/2/1613 THE STORM BULL QUEST 
On this date a number of bold souls chose to take a dangerous and questionable Magical Road in an attempt to reach the southlands of the Holy Country to 
search for an reputed heir. On this some of the adventurers did well and emerged on the slopes of the Turning Mountain with Storm Bulls or Spells to prove their courage. 

I cannot find who these bold souls were. Is it recounted anywhere? The references I can find are:

5/5/2- TERMERTAIN AGREES 
 Although reluctant at first the heir apparent finally agrees to the venture after Camille Laurin points out the opportunity to be the fabled Philosopher 
King and bring enlightenment to the barbarians. Flattered, Temertain agrees. Part of the agreement is based on Alexander’s promise that Redbird, considered 
something of a hero in the Holy Country, will aid him and act as advisor. As soon as the heir agrees the Lhankor Mhy cult sends for Redbird, and the Orlanth 
people report their success.

Camille Laurin is not mentioned elsewhere in the Stafford House Campaign, unless it is under a different name. The spelling of the characters names sometimes varied.
Alexander Yellowbelly is mentioned a few times but give no further clues as to my question above. 

There are two mentions of characters owning sky bulls:
"...riders of the Sky Bulls, such as Rilar and Toneria." (SHC page 28)
"Toneria, a Colymar Orlanthi who claimed to own a Sky Bull which she left home" (SHC page 42)
Rilar is named on page 28 as "RILAR BULLFLYER, among the King's Bodyguard". Toneria is only mentioned twice, as noted.

These last two probably took part in the quest, but are probably not quest leaders as they are not mentioned elsewhere. 

Is there a recount of the quest of 1613 somewhere else? I know of the writeup of the quest in TotRM18 but I am thinking specifically of who went on the quest to find Temertain.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yinkin said:

Alexander Yellowbelly is mentioned a few times but give no further clues as to my question above. 

I believe Alexander was a Duck.

18 minutes ago, Yinkin said:

Is there a recount of the quest of 1613 somewhere else?

See also Wyrms Footnotes #13, p.20. THE TRAVELS OF REDBIRD (Excerpted from his travelling diary)

Redbird was, I believe, the leader of the expedition, but no others are named there.

I'm not aware of any additional sources.

It is interesting how many versions there are. Even in the same text there are differences.

Redbird and Leika found Temertain in the Seapolis library during Starbrow's Revolt.

Maybe Redbird's trollkin slave was with them, possibly a couple of them?

https://glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Redbird_the_Sorcerer

Kallai and some Colymar elders agreed to organize a small party who would travel through the Other Side to the Holy Country. Redbird evidently meets some ducks sailing downriver and gets a ride with them. WFN 12 p.12-15

Camille Laurin convinced him by suggesting he become the grand Philosopher King of Grey Lord's lore...

1613 CLAYDAY / ILLUSION WEEK is when the party approaches Temertain with the treaty.

It is also note in WFN p.15 that Gringle Goodsell was in the Holy Country with the heir and so he may have also been part of the small party organized by the Colymar?

What is interesting is that when Alexander is with Temertain and promises that Redbird will be his adviser, then the Lhankor Mhy cult sends for Redbird?

Clayday/Illusion Week/Fire Season 1613 - Redbird was summed to come to Temertain from Nochet after Alexander, Laurin and possibly Gringle and Leika found him in the Seapolis Library?

It was also noted that Ducks were garding Temertain it seems, prior to Redbird heading from Nochet to Seapolis... interestingly there isn't a Y shaped building or one that looks like most of a Y in Seapolis that I am able to see. Guessing its a simple structure or group of buildings on the same island as the Temple of Dormal?

Then again, maybe the library isn't in town as the dampness of the bay wouldn't be conducive to long term storage of scrolls and the like?

Curious would air elementals be able to purge humidity from air similar to water elementals being able to cleanse/purify water? It'd be like the forefathers of modern AC units.

Edited by Erol of Backford

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

........ Then again, maybe the library isn't in town as the dampness of the bay wouldn't be conducive to long term storage of scrolls and the like?

Curious would air elementals be able to purge humidity from air similar to water elementals being able to cleanse/purify water? It'd be like the forefathers of modern AC units.

Since the RW Librzry of Alexandria was in a seaport, humidity must not be a deal breaker for scrolls.

If you want to mimic an air conditioner  could you have your Air Elemental alternately compress itself into a bottle (radiating heat)  and then release itself Into a box  thus cooling itself and condensing the water? You periodically drain the box it is in and vent the cooled Elemental to a room? Problem is, that is invoking RW physics in Glorantha so I'm not sure that would work.   You would have to make up a mythical explanation.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Since the RW Librzry of Alexandria was in a seaport, humidity must not be a deal breaker for scrolls.

Humidity is a killer for papyrus, which is why there are hardly any sources for West Roman Empire administration prior to the conquest of Egypt by the Caliphate (when papyrus supply was interrupted and Frankish scribes had to switch to Vellum).

I suppose it is the combination of cold climate (when the scrolls don't dry out again that easily) and humidity which kills papyrus, as the humidity won't be taken away regularly by heat. The small Ice Age that coincided with the collapse of the Western Roman emperors (not its administration, though) may have played a role in this, with a sudden greater demand for heating.

6 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

If you want to mimic an air conditioner  could you have your Air Elemental alternately compress itself into a bottle (radiating heat)  and then release itself Into a box  thus cooling itself and condensing the water? You periodically drain the box it is in and vent the cooled Elemental to a room? Problem is, that is invoking RW physics in Glorantha so I'm not sure that would work.   You would have to make up a mythical explanation.

Daga in a jar.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

My apologies to Yinkin, this post was about the group that went to get Temertain in Seapolis not the Gloranthian refrigeration cycle...

Sources I looked at show that it seems to be up for grabs as to who was there when Temertain was initially approached about being the heir but for me its leaning away from Redbird being the first.

Redbird and Leika found Temertain in the Seapolis library during Starbrow's Revolt. Maybe Redbird's trollkin slave was with them, possibly a couple of them?

Kallai and some Colymar elders agreed to organize a small party who would travel through the Other Side to the Holy Country. Redbird evidently meets some ducks sailing downriver and gets a ride with them. WFN 12 p.12-15

Camille Laurin convinced Temertain by suggesting he become the grand Philosopher King of Grey Lord's lore... (does anyone know more about Camille as she's not in the Digest, the Well of Daliath

1613 CLAYDAY / ILLUSION WEEK is when the party approaches Temertain with the treaty.

It is also note in WFN p.15 that Gringle Goodsell was in the Holy Country with the heir (Temertain) and so he may have also been part of the small party organized by the Colymar?

What is interesting is that when Alexander is with Temertain and promises that Redbird will be his adviser, then the Lhankor Mhy cult sends for Redbird so maybe he wasn't with the original party that went to look for Temertain? 

Clayday/Illusion Week/Fire Season 1613 - Redbird was summed to come to Temertain from Nochet after Alexander, Laurin, possibly Gringle and Leika found him in the Seapolis Library?

On 8/7/2023 at 6:02 AM, Yinkin said:

Camille Laurin is not mentioned elsewhere

I am thinking she is Camille the Quick... if so she seems kind of slimey to me, just like Redbird. 

https://glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Camille_the_Quick

Thanks for the great thread topic Yinkin!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There are many noted persons in the Sartar Companion p.204 that are assisting with Temertain's rule of Sartar.

Does anyone know if any of these individuals are with him before he becomes King?

Also curious who of these may have been killed when Temertain was assassinated?

There is little in the King of Sartar about this... any sources out there?

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does anyone know if any of these individuals are with him before he becomes King?

Also curious who of these may have been killed when Temertain was assassinated?

There is little in the King of Sartar about this... any sources out there?

Always remember to check the Well of Daliath as Jeff's FB posts get recorded there.

See: Prince Temertain – The Well of Daliath (chaosium.com) and The Death of Prince Temertain – The Well of Daliath (chaosium.com)

Note this: "Temertain was of the sacred bloodline, and was protected by a Royal Guard of fierce werewolves." and "a group of Humakti hunted down and killed Prince Temertain for breaking sacred oaths (which he did do), but had to kill Goram Whitefang and his Telmori followers first."

Clearly his Telmori bodyguards were with him when he was killed.

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Temertain was of the sacred bloodline, and was protected by a Royal Guard of fierce werewolves.

One of our PC's is a Bearwalker and hates werewolves, so maybe they'll also be there when it happens!?

Goram Whitefang and his Telmori followers were killed yes.

What about: Berra Stone, Brenna the Doorkeeper, Quinulf the Royal Librarian, Umathkarl the Priest, Gordius Silverus the Legate for Barbarian Affairs and of course, Estal Donge?

Was if a full purge and all were put to the sword or just the guards and then Temertain.

Somewhat related: Does Sarostip Coldeye wear a left eye patch?

I like the idea that his deathray is like Cyclops' eye-ray but is blue like Oakfed's fire, or that of Broadblade Blue, the ghost from Snake Pipe Hollow, maybe the Blue Ghost from Skyppen's Mansion or the blue flash of fire from the altar there doing 4d6 points of CON damage?

image.png.c095028441922a473a3cd4c3215824bb.png image.png.d30d1b28f779ccf47ef5876ed663f8c0.png