Gloranthian Trowjang Curry

Erol of Backford

What would be the sources for spices similar to the following: turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cinnamon, cumin, black pepper, ginger, and cardamom?

If curry thrives in a hot, humid climate could these spices not be known to come from Trowjang and they are the cause of extensive trade from there since the Opening?

If that is the case maybe the name for the City of Uxoral Ecstasy comes not from what happens there once a year but via the food and recipes that originate therefrom?

As spicy as an Amazonian is a new saying along the southern coast of Genertela? (I realize the Islands and southern continent have likely sources but at this time we are not interested in them thank you.)

Also some female yellow elves from the adjacent islands help with tending the spice gardens...

image.png.7f9990aa5fd532f2b6fa338a78f1df69.png

• Helpful 1

YGWV but I like the idea that Melib got so sleepy because the island was overrun with tropical aromatics . . . primarily clove, which doesn't help you much, but also cardamom, cinnamon and galangal for the curries. Reopening all these crops to export has taken a lot of the heavy pressure off the local air and helped the people get moving again. This doesn't really address the question of origins but some truly funky plants probably do come out of Trowjang. Maybe they have a "red saffron" there that will blow all the minds.

• Like 3

singer sing me a given

5 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

This doesn't really address the question of origins but some truly funky plants probably do come out of Trowjang. Maybe they have a "red saffron" there that will blow all the minds.

Cocoa, opium, etc. better than haiza for hero questing... made me think of puffer fish - fugu, leave in just enough poison to tingle the nerves?

Saffron and bay scallops, as long as the spice doesn't overpower the scallops! if that is what you meant by "red"?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGEpG6dsyM1OamzLf4G-wk3feP44UGkjThODnYvHpRUbdHt1jDr-DSk7vH_vhZknv9h5Q&usqp=CAU

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I am for it.  In my game many of these including Chiles are imports from Pamaltela through Nochet.   I agree with you. Others must come from the East Islands.  And I'd say ginger from Teshnos. unless you have a different reference.  Spices and silk are some of the " royal goods" which make very long distance trade profitable.  (IMG spider silk comes from the Uz, but real caterpillar silk is from Kralorela.)  

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spelling / typing
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

If curry thrives in a hot, humid climate could these spices not be known to come from Trowjang and they are the cause of extensive trade from there since the Opening?

Jeff has commented before that the spice trade from Melib/Teshnos is very lucrative and has resulted in a great blend of flavors in Nochet.

Remember that Dosakayo on Melib is a Nochetite colony!

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Saffron and bay scallops, as long as the spice doesn't overpower the scallops! if that is what you meant by "red"?

I was thinking of something we might not have on earth that would blend saffron with opiate "latex" cultivation as well as impact. Something red for the red god of ecstatic island that supports the communal uxorial trance. So yeah, it would taste killer on scallops and would trigger HQ effects!

On the other hand people in distant lands would pay a high price for cumin and pretend to get high. That's okay, it still tastes good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

singer sing me a given

On 8/15/2023 at 11:50 AM, Joerg said:

Fethlon have rubber trees or coca leaves, or other Amazonas jungle plant life??

Archaeological records show the Olmec people were the first to create a tangible, usable rubber “product.” Because natural rubber melts in heat and tends to get sticky when handled, they mixed harvested latex with morning glory juice for a sturdier material.

I will have our Glorantha's Trowjang dotted with rubber trees and morning glories?

Vine and liana seedlings grow fast in the tropics and often get their start at the forest edge or in gaps where trees have fallen and sunlight floods in.

So curry, latex clothing and rubber boots come from the Amazons. No wonder all the guys want to go there?!

If the architectural frieze were in color you'd see the reflective red on their hats and shirts paying homage to Toldat. Maybe we should start another thread with rubber use in Glorantha?

image.png.2f4a41e0b9e9371453d4a44e508e0d2c.png image.png.bdc00fdb15a37b8c08a12a5fbf666911.png image.png.1ae1f895d94c935e0bc62e2c7b918441.png

On 8/15/2023 at 11:59 AM, scott-martin said:

Sleaford

Do they have good curry there? We are in London once a year, were thinking on the Victoria Aviation Museum one of these times and could stop in Sleaford on a travel loop of sorts if there is really good curry there? (Possibly the mention was an inside joke of sorts and we should skip Sleaford?) Several things to see in Sleaford but its missing the really big wow factor in regards to points of interest?

On that note would there be coconuts on Trowjang or anywhere in Glorantha, torn between Thai coconut curry and that originating from the Subcontinent...

This also caught my eye... would the small Hsunchen population on Trowjang not have some males as part of their tribes/clans and if so would they be kept corralled in certain areas? If so on what terms would they interact with the Amazons?

image.png.0dca80f48b37666e6b411381b2e7a0f3.png

Edited by Erol of Backford