Death of a Telmori's Wolfbrother

Peter Hart

My understanding is that the Telmori just don't draw a moral distinction between two-legged people and four-legged people. If you kill a wolf brother. . . Well, you just killed this person's brother. Their family is probably gonna come after you.

This obviously is a neat explanation for how all these wars and border conflicts between the Telmori and all the other Sartarite tribes occur; some farmer shoots a wolf and oops, that's a blood feud. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Do characters or beast brothers whose companion dies remain orphaned, or do they form new bonds?

The Coming Storm says:

If the wolf brother dies, or is killed, another may not be found.

• Like 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

Telmori can get quite old (at least those descended from Ostling and Onelisin, few others ever received a name in history). Do these bonded beast brothers gain protection from old age like the butterfly companions of Chalana Arroy healers?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

21 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Telmori can get quite old (at least those descended from Ostling and Onelisin, few others ever received a name in history). Do these bonded beast brothers gain protection from old age like the butterfly companions of Chalana Arroy healers?

In my mind, this terminology confuses us. The "wolf brothers" are Telmori, they regard their two-legged companions as part of their own community. They bond with them for life when the two-legged are old enough for their adulthood initiation (no doubt the four-legged ones find it frustrating waiting for the two-legged pups to mature more slowly). If the two-legged companion dies, I'd expect that the four-legged Telmori do not bond again with another two-legged sibling.

It makes no sense to think that the two-legged ones offer the four-legged some kind of "protection from old age" unless we privilege the two-legged partner in the relationship. I think all we can sensibly say is that we don't know how long the four-legged can live. This is where much of the previous official material fails, in my view, to make a sufficient imaginative leap. Perhaps there are four-legged Telmori living to a great age, and they play an active part in Telmori history that writers have so far failed to reveal. The description in The Coming Storm (pp 126-127) certainly implies that, without then going on to follow through.

• Like 2

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

15 minutes ago, Brian Duguid said:

It makes no sense to think that the two-legged ones offer the four-legged some kind of "protection from old age" unless we privilege the two-legged partner in the relationship. I think all we can sensibly say is that we don't know how long the four-legged can live. This is where much of the previous official material fails, in my view, to make a sufficient imaginative leap. Perhaps there are four-legged Telmori living to a great age, and they play an active part in Telmori history that writers have so far failed to reveal. The description in The Coming Storm (pp 126-127) certainly implies that, without then going on to follow through.

To me, this rather sounds like it takes both a two-legged person and a four-legged person (using the Animal farm definition for weirder beasts) to make up a whole Hykimikyh person. There will be orphaned or unpartnered non-whole persons of either number of legs, regrettably incomplete people.

One thing I am a bit unsure of is how being a shaman with (yet) another approach to becoming a complete person interferes with this concept of a whole person in two bodies.

There are Hykimi folk who are more or less incomplete by default, like the Basmoli of Prax.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

As per the RQG bestiary pp162-163 (wolf companions are Dire Wolves) "The Telmori claim kinship with a breed of wolf that is larger and more intelligent than normal." so maybe these have a greater longevity too. Since (again, as per the bestiary) they are raised together from birth into adulthood the implication is that they would have a similar life span.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Hart said:

As per the RQG bestiary pp162-163 (wolf companions are Dire Wolves) "The Telmori claim kinship with a breed of wolf that is larger and more intelligent than normal." so maybe these have a greater longevity too. Since (again, as per the bestiary) they are raised together from birth into adulthood the implication is that they would have a similar life span.

Humans have rather extreme neoteny, with a long-postponed adulthood (even if you allow for early teenage adulthood) compared to most beasts. Any beast brother (wolf or otherwise) would long have experienced full sexual activity by the time the human partner approaches it.

Canon tells us that the shape-shifting magic is bestowed (to the human-shaped Hykimi) only upon reaching (magical if not sexual) adulthood. (The elusive goal of mental maturity is hard to define, and while there seems to be something like a minimum age for certain phases of brain development to finish, full development of social and intellectual maturity may be delayed long after the wetware architecture allows it.)

Things could be different for pups shifting between the two shapes or at least mental developments.

• Like 2

The adventurers in the campaign that I run recently killed a Telmori ituvanu shaman's wolfbrother.

The consequences have not yet played out, but they'll be finding out soon enough! 🐺😤

Edited by Brian Duguid
  • Like 3

--

On 9/19/2023 at 3:29 AM, Brian Duguid said:

The adventurers in the campaign that I run recently killed a Telmori ituvanu shaman's wolfbrother.

The consequences have not yet played out, but they'll be finding out soon enough! 🐺😤

In our campaign, during a Great Hunt, my Vingan PC killed a Telmori priest's wolfbrother, but spared (and even healed) the fatally wounded Telmori, out of pity and Honor.  Eventually, after some very interesting trials and strange paths, they were reconciled, and are now mythically bound together.

• Like 1