Dynamic D100: how to make it more accessible?

RosenMcStern

We are in the process of writing additional materials for the next reprint of Dynamic D100. I was thinking that we could also take advantage of the opportunity to make minor corrections and clarifications.

The target of the game is clearly defined as "fans of vintage mecha anime", who will appreciate it in any case out of nostalgy. However, the robot combat rules require a certain amount of system mastery. Your average anime fan is probably more willing to enjoy a "sit down and play" kind of game, while Dynamic D100 requires some study of the rules that a casual gamer may not appreciate.

We have already removed the character creation phase, as the players will play the classic heroes, so you can in fact grab a character sheet and start playing. How can we present the rules in a simpler format?

My first idea is to split robot combat rules into basic and advanced and let players learn gradually. Basic rules would include only:

• ground movement
  • ranged attacks and their combat effects
  • punching and grappling
  • battlecries

The amount of rules to memorize would be halved, but this would be enough to run a simple combat including Mazinger Z (without Scrander), Venus (without Scrander and enhanced weapons) and Jeeg (without Mach Drills and with the Big Shooter not joining the fight). The players would then move on to the full rules and the remaining robots.

What do you think? What else woul you do to make the game experience simpler?

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I love the way that skills are treated in Revolution D100 and have used the same concept elsewhere, it really simplifies the game.

Personally, I would do the same to other areas, so I would have a list of Powers and would simply have them accessed by the various spells systems to give the same results. That makes a lot of things very simple and easy to use. So, a Divine Spell and a Common Magic spell would access the same Power, but the Divine Spell version might be more powerful or might give more points of the Power, and a Science version would use the same Power but might be a fixed value or a variable value depending on the Science item used.

I don't want really complex combat, as too many options really slow the game down. My Players only really used a few combat options anyway, as they didn't see the point of the others. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2023 at 2:29 PM, RosenMcStern said:

What do you think? What else woul you do to make the game experience simpler?

I think the problem isn't the complexity, but in the name.

I for one didn't know that Dynamic D100 was a mecha game until you mentioned it in the ORC thread. Now, I'm not really following Revolution D100 so I might not have bought Dynamic D100 even if I knew it was a "vintage mecha anime" game, but not knowing that pretty much ensuired that anyone insteded in a mecha game who was not verse in Revolution D100  wouldn't even consider it. "Dynamic" does have any special mecha connotations, and instead just makes me think of a game focused towards the action genre. Kinda like how Pulp Cthulhu is  Cthulhu adventures in the Pulp Genre. So I think getting the message out of what the game is about is key.

Secondly, based on the game's granndaddy, BRP Mecha, I'd say soltakss is right that skills should be the same between games. In fact I'd say vehicles should be the same as well. That would make it much easier to port over vehicles from other sourcebooks to the game to allow games based in different times. For instance a GM might want to set a game in the 1950s and use 1950s tanks and aircraft, while another GM might want to run a Macross type peroid piece and  use vehicle designs from the 1990s, a third GM might want modern day stuff, and so on. If Dynamic uses different stats that the other Revolution games then GMs will have to redo stats for anything not included in Dynamic. If the stats are the same, they can just port them over. So the more compatibility the better.

Thirdly, I'd suggest putting in a chapter on Kaiju along with some sample generic Kaiju. I could see kaiju have some basic types each with their own perks and flaws that would make them a bit different to build than mecha. There is a good deal of crossover in the Giant Robot and Kaiju genres so it fits the game, and adds a whole new layer of possible adversaries (or allies). Cyborg kaiju would be another cool idea.  It also might make the game interesting to kaji fans who might otherwise not want a mecha game. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 10/13/2023 at 8:29 PM, RosenMcStern said:

My first idea is to split robot combat rules into basic and advanced and let players learn gradually. Basic rules would include only:

It would open the game to players not interested in accurate simulation. You may even limit the combat effects to the most used (or to the ones you'd like to be used the most).

May be simplify the Karma rules as well, even without Karma-points economy (like instead allow to re-roll or shift the success level or exchange the dice or bestow a bonus...), or at least without die-rolling the gain.

Note that I'm competely out of the Anime-geekism and I never played DD100, so I may be wrong.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

Thank you for the feedback guys.

4 hours ago, Zit said:

May be simplify the Karma rules as well, even without Karma-points economy (like instead allow to re-roll or shift the success level or exchange the dice or bestow a bonus...), or at least without die-rolling the gain.

It's the easiest part to grasp, and well tested. And it really adds to the feeling of the game.

21 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

"Dynamic" does have any special mecha connotations, and instead just makes me think of a game focused towards the action genre. 

On the contrary, anyone who has played Super Robot Wars knows what the Final Dynamic Special is. Check on YouTube atg. Note that the first scene of that video is the background of the Dynamic D100 combat tracker. The IP is perfectly recognizable from the brand "Dynamic".

Secondly, based on the game's granndaddy, BRP Mecha, I'd say soltakss is right that skills should be the same between games. In fact I'd say vehicles should be the same as well. That would make it much easier to port over vehicles from other sourcebooks to the game to allow games based in different times. For instance a GM might want to set a game in the 1950s and use 1950s tanks and aircraft, while another GM might want to run a Macross type peroid piece and  use vehicle designs from the 1990s, a third GM might want modern day stuff, and so on. If Dynamic uses different stats that the other Revolution games then GMs will have to redo stats for anything not included in Dynamic. If the stats are the same, they can just port them over. So the more compatibility the better.

You can use all vehicles described in Revolution D100 with DD100, without much conversion effort. However, the setting for Dynamic D100 id fixed, so no room for 1950 vintage or Macross vehicles.

Thirdly, I'd suggest putting in a chapter on Kaiju along with some sample generic Kaiju. I could see kaiju have some basic types each with their own perks and flaws that would make them a bit different to build than mecha. There is a good deal of crossover in the Giant Robot and Kaiju genres so it fits the game, and adds a whole new layer of possible adversaries (or allies). Cyborg kaiju would be another cool idea.  It also might make the game interesting to kaji fans who might otherwise not want a mecha game. 

There is a Kaiju sample in the game, the GinGirGan. The rules do not explain in detail how to build a Kaiju, we might add some details about organic monsters , though. Could be a good idea.

2 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Thank you for the feedback guys.

You ask, we reply. It's a working system.

On the contrary, anyone who has played Super Robot Wars knows what the Final Dynamic Special is.

THat might not be as big of a fanbase as you think, nor have a huge crossover with D100 RPGs. Plus Dynamic D100 isn't the same as Final Dynamic Special i

Check on YouTube atg. Note that the first scene of that video is the background of the Dynamic D100 combat tracker. The IP is perfectly recognizable from the brand "Dynamic".

Which isn't really a brand per say, but a crossover anime that is less well known than any of the Go Nagi shows is derived from.

And is Dynamic D100 actually set in a Go Nagi style multiverse with Mazinger, Getter Robo and such? Or is it more generic? FYI if it covers actual Getter Robo, you  probably got me hooked!

You can use all vehicles described in Revolution D100 with DD100, without much conversion effort. However, the setting for Dynamic D100 id fixed, so no room for 1950 vintage or Macross vehicles.

Fair enough. As long as the stats port over. That GMs who want to tinker with the setting (or if it's Earth, just have a old vintage vehicle sitting around) can easily adapt what the wish. 

There is a Kaiju sample in the game, the GinGirGan.

Good.

The rules do not explain in detail how to build a Kaiju, we might add some details about organic monsters , though. Could be a good idea.

I think it would be a good idea. As would some sort of cyborg option. Imagine, the PCs have a tough battle but finally managed to defeat Boss-Kaiju of the bad guys. Then next season the have to face the new and improved  Mecha-Boss-Kaiju!

On 12/5/2023 at 11:16 PM, Atgxtg said:

And is Dynamic D100 actually set in a Go Nagi style multiverse with Mazinger, Getter Robo and such? Or is it more generic? FYI if it covers actual Getter Robo, you  probably got me hooked!

Question: what do you think that Getter Dragon on the cover mean?

Of course it covers actual Getter Robo.

5 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Question: what do you think that Getter Dragon on the cover mean?

Answer: What makes you think I saw the cover?

5 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Of course it covers actual Getter Robo.

Nice. If I had known that back when the game first came out I would have bought it just for that.

But just seeing the title "Dynamic D100" on the forum somewhere doesn't indicate any of that.