Traditional D&D-esque magic weapons?

Atheorem

Hello, I'm new to BRP and the forum but I'm in the process of converting a savage worlds Dark Sun campaign to BRP because I like the system so much. I haven't yet bought Classic Fantasy, so I was wondering if a similar magic system to D&D's could be implemented. I've noticed that magic items in BRP strictly have powers, and not modifiers (unless I've misread). I realize this could probably be worked around fairly easily by giving +% bonuses to the corresponding weapon skill (like a +4% longsword, etc.). Has anyone done this or something like it? Would it make characters too powerful? Would it not be significant at all?

It is indeed customary in BRP games to singularly devise each magic weapon. You may however go for a D&D-esque approach and convert each +1 into a +5% (I wouldn't recommend this, though).

You may find a few interesting ideas here: http://www.basicrps.com/links/bryan/convert5.html

Yes, there are all kinds of effects like that you can toss in, such as:.

+5% to hit (usually this is handled in 5% increments)

+1 to damage

Armour piercing (ignores 1 pt armour)

Heartseeker (always hits the chest on a special or critical for max damage)

Durable (has more HP than normal)

Vorpal (no increased chance to hit, but all specials are treated as criticals).

Sword of the Sweaty Palm (cursed - fumble range is doubled)

Toe-Stabber (+2 damage, but only 1D10 is rolled for hit location)

Flail of Tripping (+10% to hit + on a successful hit, victim must roll DEX*5% to avoid tripping)

Sledge of Knockback (automatic knockback)

Axe of Dismounting (any rider struck by this must roll STR*1% or be pulled from his mount)

Soul Sucker Spear (when a victim is impaled, 1 HP per round is transferred from the victim to the wielder as long as the spear remains within the victim)

Gladius of Speed (allows wielder to act sooner in the round)

Sorry - I got carried away, there... I love coming up with stuff like that!

Anyway, have fun with it!

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

If you are using the Magic system in BRP, which is based on Worlds of Wonder, you can just add spells to items. A +1 great axe equivalent would be a great axe with Sharpen 1 on it, and it would have +5% to hit and +1 damage. A Ring of Protection +3 might be a ring with Protection 3 on it.

You do want to differentiate how and when the spells in the items take effect. For the axe or ring, you'd probably want to say it is always on and activated.

For a wand, you would want to require the user activate it. Per the BRP rules, most items have their own power points and skill levels. I use the Worlds of Wonder item rules, and require the user make a Luck roll to use the item instead.

129/420

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new to BRP and the forum but I'm in the process of converting a savage worlds Dark Sun campaign to BRP because I like the system so much.

One of my players have almost finished his conversion of the setting to d100, which he soons plan to game. I'll try to get him to make his notes available here when it's finished. :)

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Hello, I'm new to BRP and the forum but I'm in the process of converting a savage worlds Dark Sun campaign to BRP because I like the system so much. I haven't yet bought Classic Fantasy, so I was wondering if a similar magic system to D&D's could be implemented. I've noticed that magic items in BRP strictly have powers, and not modifiers (unless I've misread). I realize this could probably be worked around fairly easily by giving +% bonuses to the corresponding weapon skill (like a +4% longsword, etc.). Has anyone done this or something like it? Would it make characters too powerful? Would it not be significant at all?

And why would you want to do that? DnD magic items are... Uninspired!

Screw the +Damage and +Hit Chance.

If you want to convert, and elemental weapon does 3D6 instead of normal damage (4D6 on crit / spec and 5D6 on crit, depending on the success levels you use)

The vorpal Sword as seen in the alice movie may very well fight on it's own skill rating (and on crits, hit always on the head, BAM!) and even have some +damage (though i would give it truesword damage, or roll twice and get the best result).

A "magic" sword (the powerful kind, like excalibur or the green sword from crouching tiger) is always affected as per the truesword (double weapon damage) spell. Special/Crits whatever double only the base weapon damage of course.

Then you have life stealers (that "heal" 1 HP per every X damage done, 3 sounds like a nice number)

Erm... Am i missing something?

Brilliant energy and bane weapons do double damage (as per truesword) agains the specific creatures, and may very well add a bonus (+30%?) to hit.

Ghost-Touched weapons may be used against spirits

The Sun Blade may be used with any sword skill, does double damage against undead (as per truesword)

Then again, if you seen RetroQuest, im in a "rules-light" phase ;)

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I didn't respond to this thread in a timely manner, but there are good ideas in here.

@thalaba and icebrand: I can see where you're coming from. I like conceptual weapons, and I'll be using a few of your ideas.

@Narl: I understand, I'll need to look at the rulebook for powered weapons again and see all of the applicable powers so I can go from there.

and I'd definitely like to see that conversion setting!

I wouldn't strictly give an item bonuses and call it a night. I don't think I've given out a plain +x weapon in my entire GM career. I was just wondering how the bonuses translated into BRP. Perhaps it's best if they don't entirely; It's not good when a character depends on an item all of the time to succeed.

If you think that the characters will depend on a magic item too much, then work some disadvantage into it - perhaps an ancient sword has a higher fumble chance due to its age, or an item could be cursed (which may not be divined unless with a spec or crit Detect Magic or something like that). Perhaps it reacts adversely in a particular situation (like having a memory of a bad event that occurred to its previous owner etc). Whatever it is, over-reliance on magic items can be easily fixed, even with items the characters already have (the characters just have not come across the situation yet that triggers the disadvantage).

D&D items (indeed items from most other rpgs) can be easily ported over, but as usual its best to disguise them with setting specific names & history. But it sounds like you're already working along those lines

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"