Disadvantages of Becoming a Shaman- Obligations to Tribe/Cult

That_Old-Hammer

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

I wonder whether shamans with a spirit community rather than a human community would be feasible.

Raises the interesting question of whether spirits can participate in worship ceremonies, and in particular contribute MP.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:56 AM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I agree.  It's just punitive.  Everybody has ignored or hand waved ("of course, going to XXX is a cult duty, just like your last 24 random adventures were, by strange coincidence, also cult duty") this rule for 40 years.  Nor do the NPCs seem to follow it. 

I disagree!

It's not 'punitive', it's world-building. And, for me, it would annoy me the same way it annoys me about that other big TTRPG which has character classes with very little effort to build a world around them - it's all just "I want to do X, so I do....".

That means, for a good game, the GM and players should come up with an appropriate scenario (and campaign hooks) that make it feasible for the 90% time commitment to make sense. (and for it to be pulled back on track when it goes astray!) In a way that's not too different to using Passions... and worship ceremonies.

I presume you've read a LOT more of the published scenarios and campaigns than I have, but I'll ask anyway - which NPCs are you referring to that aren't following such restrictions?