Wind Lord requirements - Hide and Move Quietly

glarkhag

Hi,

In times gone before one could become a Wind Lord by having Hide and Move Quietly amongst your mastered skills. These skills are specifically discounted for initiates in RQG so I presume they are considered cult skills. What is the reasoning behind not counting them for Wind Lord status now?

thanks
Rich

Edited by glarkhag
spelling in subject

• glarkhag changed the title to Wind Lord requirements - Hide and Move Quietly

YGMV but in general every temple has its own interpretation of how to assess and qualify priests and wind lords. So feel free to come up with a reason why yours accepts these skills. Maybe it’s a clan that survives by hunting. adheres more to the idea of the ambush and thus perhaps is less of an adherence to honour codes etc etc. Maybe it generates a story in which Orlanth won through via stealth….maybe using the dark magic weapon, dark walk.  Have fun, and best of all, make it fun for your players.

21 hours ago, glarkhag said:

In times gone before one could become a Wind Lord by having Hide and Move Quietly amongst your mastered skills. These skills are specifically discounted for initiates in RQG so I presume they are considered cult skills. What is the reasoning behind not counting them for Wind Lord status now?

Maybe because Orlanth the Bandit is not the preferred way of thinking about Orlanth Adventurous? I have stopped looking for rational reasons behind design decisions and instead embrace, or ignore, the change.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

16 hours ago, Geoff R Evil said:

YGMV but in general every temple has its own interpretation of how to assess and qualify priests and wind lords. So feel free to come up with a reason why yours accepts these skills. Maybe it’s a clan that survives by hunting. adheres more to the idea of the ambush and thus perhaps is less of an adherence to honour codes etc etc. Maybe it generates a story in which Orlanth won through via stealth….maybe using the dark magic weapon, dark walk.  Have fun, and best of all, make it fun for your players.

A minor story like an ambush in the Auroch Hills perhaps...

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 1:07 PM, glarkhag said:

What is the reasoning behind not counting them for Wind Lord status now?

I can only speculate but I think that the authors wanted a more noble status despite the myths and the name of the subcult. An easy solution is to just add the skills back.

If you want a more detailed rationale, use the description of the cults for the Dragon Pass area, but change them according to local requirements, myths, legends, and so on. Say, in Sartar with the strong connection with the Orlanth Rex subcult it's fine to not allow the stealth skills. In Old Tarsh, where many survive by hunting or raiding, and the strong connection with the Yinkin cult in Kero Fin, they should be allowed. The Pol-Joni and the Bison Tribe of Prax will probably require that a candidate has 90% in Riding. If the temple has shrines to the Four Magic Weapons and a strong connection to them, they may prefer candidates that know the spells and the skills to use them (so Shield Parry for the Shield of Arran, Move Silently and Hide for the Sandals of Darkness, Spear, Javelin, or Grapple for Lightning).

• Like 1