Southern (Trash) Tarsh Borders After Grizzly Peak

So have been working on scenarios in northwest Sartar and southern Tarsh. Let's say Alda-Chur, Dwarf Mine, Goranthal, Irsthold and the Tink general area. There is a lot of material in this area. (not going into Snake Pipe Hollow until later)

Curious as to passing to and from Sartar after the Battle of Grizzly Peak and before the 1602 Invasion. What sort of papers, vermilion seal, medallion, whatever might be held by caravans or groups if any, to pass borders for trading or any other purpose? Are there weigh-stations/toll booths of a sort along major roads or guessing caravans would be taxed upon entering cities?

What would be a rule of thumb for a general tax when crossing borders or entering a town and how often would it levied as being taxed at every town would stymie trade unless it were quite small am guessing?

Also, what sort of border guards, garrissions or forts would be set up to pacify Tarsh and or keep say the Exiles from raiding into the newly conquered Lunar areas? I was thinking the any Lunar outposts would be just like those in the Grey Crane scenario but am curious what others have set up as border garrissions across southern Tarsh. What would the Sartarite garrisons be if any and as the Sartar invasion becomes more of an imminent danger thinking both the Sartar and Tarsh borders would be patrolled/scouted incessantly?

Were there not some skirmishes along the border prior to 1602 and if so is there a record of them anywhere?

Any sources or thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1

• Erol of Backford changed the title to Southern (Trash) Tarsh Borders After Grizzly Peak

The biggest and best border control method for Tarsh is the Glowline.  I dunno if intrusions into the glowline can be magically sensed but there could be a detachment of Lunar magicians at the Temple of the Reaching Moon using their spirits to watch the border.  They would also have Moonboats to provide troops at short notice.    The formal points of entry into Tarsh from the south would be lightly guarded, not because the Lunars have nothing to fear but because they can retaliate effectively.

Beyond the Glowline, the Lunars simply have not bothered.  The land is largely conceded to their neighbours such as the Shaker Temple and the Grazers.  Constructing a foward defence or forts and customs points in those lands is more trouble than it is worth.  They may have a consulate in North Post to allow prospective visitors to purchase a magical totem for trouble free passage beyond the glowline.  But in terms of the Bush Range, the Shaker Temple or the Red Dragon Valley, it's largely "Don't Care".

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

trailers

Well I met her out at Murphy's restaurant
She said she was fresh from the farm
I remember thinkin' for a country girl
That she went pretty well armed
We sat there talkin' by the lobster tank
I ordered her a sloe gin fizz
And when them chicken fried steaks arrived
She said, "I like living' like this"
So I made her the queen of my double wide trailer