Larnsting Toe Hole

As an offshoot to g33k's post:

Huh... is the Syphon a key trade route?

So, somewhat infatuated with all things Herotland, Backford and the Syphon...

There would be increased flow into the Toe-Hole, particularly in Storm season but also Sea (rain?) and Dark (melting snows). I'd imagine the area around the whole be like a rain forest with the heat coming up the hole from Hell if its not 100% filled with water, which I speculate it is not but rather like Niagra Falls with some pockets or crevices behind the water, as there always is at every fantasy waterfall... again this flow would reduce towards the end of Fire Season maybe enough so the brave would be climbing down into the hole to try an find Larnste blood crystals.

Larnste the Changer was bitten by Krarsht and where he bleed it burned a hole to the Underworld? GtG p.255 - Where Larnste bled, there rose up a foul and evil forest, a perfect nesting place for all things Chaotic. In my Glorantha, there are probably blood crystals from Larnste that may still be found but those doing so must get to the subterranean Toe-Hole levels somehow without being washed into Hell.

How fun would that be, archeology with chaos beings abound, I am sure Saronil Whiteteeth (Tradetalk #12 p.10) would like to hire Rivermen and Stom Bulls to get to the Toe-Hole to investigate. Everyone should be prepared with a ring of flight and a bag of wins with plenty of extension before heading upriver from Backford.

Maybe they disguise the boat as a tree covered in leaves as camouflage? Maybe they use the Fish Road diving out of it just at the right moment to keep from being plunged into Hell?

I thought there would be a more contemporary holy site or shrine where Larnste was bitten, an abandoned cave or ledge somewhere down in the hole with winds roaring past. Again, like a massive A secret wind cave Larnsting mysticism grotto with winds howling up from the Underworld while water crashes or cascades downward.

This has huge questing possibilities, just don't fall down the hole!

Do mining operations in the hole bring forth metals as well as crystals? Do they invigorate trade in Backford via the Syphon? Your Glorantha will vary... yes mining is very dangerous, especially in the Toe-Hole.

image.png.f42d03d03299ca185b81d76421b0c14e.png image.png.d06cde0180bd188b3c37bbef447a47b0.png image.png.d59ae0a37fb4138472ca7be86429b3d9.png image.png.ba5537320f6d63b299ae23448789cf08.png

Does the water flow simply dropping off the edge? Does the water swirl as it goes down? Does the terrain of the hole step as it goes down, does it have ledges and landings that beings could swim in and climb up? How has it eroded over the years? Does the water flow decrease as Fire Season progresses and so does a bit of land appear at the opening rim of the hole which has over 100's of years eroded steps as it descends at various points which allow those either crazy (Storm Bulls) or brave enough Llankor Mhy's would venture there?

The crystals may be part of or a required element of the Larnsting's awakening? It rains, is foggy or misty all the time and if the sun shines through there are a hell of a lot of rainbows... is the a child of Elmal? 

Back to the shrine topic. There might, just maybe a Larnsting shrine which is quite similar to a particular Tien Shrine in the Wastes but will assist Illuminated Lightbringers via enchantments... of course there are guardians that prevent chaotics from entering.

I can't stop smiling while typing this: A Larnsting shrine in the Toe-Hole for illuminated Lightbringers with guardian spirits whole will create enchantments and attack chaotics. Oakfed's purifying fire, Larnsting's blood crystals.

What powers might the "living blood" of Larnsting have, of course Larsting's blood would be somewhat malleable rather than a hard crystal as he is of movement isn't he?

Amazing water hole, amazing, miracle, sea, ocean, HD wallpaper ... image.png.987c0bf4de879ffb3118dcd4bcc874c4.png 5 Most Impressive Blue Holes Around The World | Amusing Planet image.png.14ba8994dcddcde22ab1cfc378e5127b.png 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

There would be increased flow into the Toe-Hole, particularly in Storm season but also Sea (rain?) and Dark (melting snows).

Definitely Storm and Sea seasons. The rainclouds come in off the ocean and the Mirrorsea, climb up the Heortland plateau and dump their rain from the plateau edge to the Storm Mountains. Think Ireland or Washington State. 

52 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I'd imagine the area around the whole be like a rain forest with the heat coming up the hole from Hell if its not 100% filled with water, which I speculate it is not but rather like Niagra Falls with some pockets or crevices behind the water

The Footprint is variously blighted, lush, decayed into rot, spawning chaotic plants, etc. Sometimes rain forest, sometimes almost desert-like, and anything in-between and constantly changing. 

The Footprint is also an enclosed pocket, so you might have inundating rains or dense, unmoving air or any various abnormal weather conditions. 

Could definitely have at times great waterfalls down the sides (particularly coming off the Storm Mountains) - this is probably good as it makes the rocks very slick and difficult for scorpionmen to climb up and out.

57 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I thought there would be a more contemporary holy site or shrine where Larnste was bitten, an abandoned cave or ledge somewhere down in the hole with winds roaring past.

Oh, there is a shrine/holy site there - it just happens to be to Primal Chaos! All his spilled blood got corrupted so if you want a Chaos Feature, it's a good place to visit. (Well maybe you'd find some drops that weren't corrupted around in the hole itself, but you won't know for sure as to whether it's a Chaos crystal until you've attuned it.) 

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Do mining operations in the hole bring forth metals as well as crystals?

A few challenges with that. First, you'll draw the attention of Chaos once you're in there. Second, you'll draw the attention of Storm Bulls who I'm sure will be convinced your chaotic for going in and trying to bring the stuff of chaos out. Third, the "easiest" exit is through the Stone Woods, and its denizens likely won't let you readily pass either as anything not chaotic is needed for the defense against chaos (and if you disagree, they'll probably turn you to stone to help serve as additional bulwark against chaos).

Does the water flow simply dropping off the edge? Does the water swirl as it goes down? Does the terrain of the hole step as it goes down, does it have ledges and landings that beings could swim in and climb up? How has it eroded over the years? Does the water flow decrease as Fire Season progresses

Likely yes. Possibly. No one who's gone down as likely ever returned to report back. There are hell-spawned fish and demons that sometimes make it out, but they originate in Hell so aren't bound by the conventions of Death (mortals going in have the usual problem of being blocked by the Guardians of Hell). Water flow generally decreases in Fire and Earth seasons.

Back to the shrine topic. There might, just maybe a Larnsting shrine

I think no shrines to Larnste - this has been a Chaos Nest since the God Time and there's no way to repeatedly enter to provide ongoing worship (not even annually) to sustain anything like that. Look for Larnste shrines elsewhere in Heortland where his blood spilled as he limped away. 

What powers might the "living blood" of Larnsting have

He's the god of Change and Movement, so any of Mastakos' magic, Larnste would have had first (e.g. Teleportation, stepping to other places). Also powers of transmutation (you can see why this so readily gets corrupted by Chaos). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Look for Larnste shrines elsewhere in Heortland where his blood spilled as he limped away.

I like this, could be anywhere in the Mountains but likely its at the Old Wind Temple... it works for me.

The idea of a Primal Chaos shrine parallels the idea of the Dyskund Caverns but it's more difficult to get to than the Caverns would be... thanks!

• Like 1

The crystals resulting from Krarsht's bite would likely turn out to be Flawed Crystals. But keep on mining, and have fun with the additional chaotic features.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

This has huge questing possibilities, just don't fall down the hole!

I want a sign halfway down:

YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY DEAD —
DO NOT ASCEND PAST THIS POINT

10 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I think no shrines to Larnste - this has been a Chaos Nest since the God Time

Minor sub-cult of Krarsht: Larnste the Subverted — who was turned by Her bite. Of course, some non-Chaotic Larnstephiles rock up thinking it is a shrine to “proper” Larnste. Do the Krarshtites attack or otherwise give the game away? MGF says no: Krarsht effigies are hidden and they warmly welcome their siblings in Larnste. The world needs more unwitting Chaos worship. (This echoes the fact that Krarsht worshippers don’t know what their god is or is up to. Dupes all the way down.)

• Helpful 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

11 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Minor sub-cult of Krarsht: Larnste the Subverted — who was turned by Her bite.

Or Bagog. The scorpion folk claim it was Bagog who did the biting. (And if you follow some of the progression from Greg's older writings to Cults of Terror, the myth of the Footprint gradually evolves and Krarsht and Bagog become two chaos deities vs one.) Hence even among the tribes of Chaos there will be disputes, and Primal Chaos, of course, claims the First Blood for its own too. 👹

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 10:41 AM, Erol of Backford said:

I can't stop smiling while typing this: A Larnsting shrine in the Toe-Hole for illuminated Lightbringers with guardian spirits whole will create enchantments and attack chaotics. Oakfed's purifying fire, Larnsting's blood crystals.

Larnsting Magic is not aggressive.  Sartar was a Larnsting, and he never drew a weapon or slew anybody.  No.  Far worse.  He CHANGED them.  And no, he didn't change them from alive to dead.  I get the impression that he might have had a geas against such things.  For example, he changed King Brangbane and his remaining followers into ghouls.  Now imagine if as a scorpion person you enter an area and your nippers change into fluffy bunnies on the ends of your arms, and your tail turns into a great big hibiscus flower?

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 6:28 AM, mfbrandi said:

I want a sign halfway down:

YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY DEAD —
DO NOT ASCEND PAST THIS POINT

Halfway down the Maelstrom...

GtG p.472 Nowhere Land: Nothing grows on Nowhere Land, but it lies exactly on the boundary of the regions of Life and Death, so no one ever dies there.

Maybe there is an outcropping of stone or earth in the shaft that is the Toe Hole that sticks out where there is a Humakti shrine that guards access from the underworld... maybe the PC's set one up there... yes its impossible but with the use of the Fish Road it becomes much more navigable than the maelstrom.

• Like 1