Pass skill, but use luck to improve… check box or not?

Actually, this presents one reason why inverting the process of experience checks may work better. That is, you check a skill every time you fail a roll but then have to roll under the skill value at the end of the session to be able to improve.

Mathematically, it is the same, but it avoids the spending Luck issue - you can spend the Luck to succeed but not be able to learn from it as you would if you failed and then self-analysed it.

Posted (edited)

The rule on page 99 of the Keeper Rulebook says "no skill improvement check is earned if Luck points were used to alter the dice roll."

I think that probably means to change from a failure to a success, not to change the degree of success. I agree that that they earn the check.

Edited by SaintMeerkat
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

In the Delta Green Quickstart there is an option for skill increases I thought was an intriguing way to adjust skill advancement

1) You tick the box when you fail a skill check for the first time during a game-session

2) The skill ticked increases by 1 point (without further rolling) at the end of every session.

I havent tried that out in my gaming group, but it could make a smoother way for more regular albeit smaller increases especially for skills that have a lower value.

Edited by Mister Wonderful
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 8:33 AM, TrippyHippy said:

Actually, this presents one reason why inverting the process of experience checks may work better. That is, you check a skill every time you fail a roll but then have to roll under the skill value at the end of the session to be able to improve.

Mathematically, it is the same, but it avoids the spending Luck issue - you can spend the Luck to succeed but not be able to learn from it as you would if you failed and then self-analysed it.

It's the same if you make only one skill roll in a session. Otherwise, it's very different.

• Like 1