Prince Valiant 2nd edition!

Got a great deal on a 2nd edition of Prince Valiant and the episode book! Not only were they seemingly brand new (pristine, no dings, no shelf wear and they feel like I'm the first person to ever actually open them), but it also came with the character sheet tear pad, the custom metal coins and a copy of the 1st edition in really good condition (better than the copy I already own).

And since it came with that I can sell the 1e copy I already had, and probably recover half of what I paid for this entire 2e set. Quite a steal.

Anyway, that's all. Just excited to have a complete 2e set and wanted to share

Now all I need is to find a copy of Chaosiums Le Morte d'Arthur once it finally ships...

Edited by Metalzoic
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 3:47 PM, Metalzoic said:

Kept the signed copy and sold the other for a fair price and the person that got it was stoked to finally own it. So win win!

That might have been me...

If so, yes, I'm stoked!

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: 1870s Mashup Hero System | Playing: nothing | Planning: D&D 5E/OSE/Fantasy Hero Home Game

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

Posted (edited)

It arrived in excellent time and fantastic condition! Now, I just need to find Prince-Valiant-themed coins to use for the dice!

EDIT: You know, I posted that and then I said, "Let me Google that..." Huh... Was not aware Chaosium made these, ever!

Prince Valiant 10-coin set

Edited by AlHazred

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: 1870s Mashup Hero System | Playing: nothing | Planning: D&D 5E/OSE/Fantasy Hero Home Game

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2024 at 8:55 PM, Metalzoic said:

Ha! Cool, glad it arrived safe. Yeah I didn't realize there were cins either until my new copy showed up with them. They didn't even tell me they were coming with the book I bought.

I have metal FATE tokens that have been gathering dust since my FATE group went bust; I might just repurpose them. 

ROLAND VOLZ

On 8/12/2024 at 4:57 AM, AlHazred said:

I have metal FATE tokens that have been gathering dust since my FATE group went bust; I might just repurpose them. 

I know the game explicitly says it must be played with coins, but, honestly, isn't it easier to use regular dice and count those with an even result ?

On 8/13/2024 at 6:11 AM, Mugen said:

I know the game explicitly says it must be played with coins, but, honestly, isn't it easier to use regular dice and count those with an even result ?

I mean, I also have FATE dice,  but they have three faces: plus, minus and blank. That would change the math. 

ROLAND VOLZ

On 8/13/2024 at 3:11 AM, Mugen said:

I'd just repurpose some real-world coins.
If your daily pocket-change feels too "mundane" or "anachronistic" then foreign & "exotic" coins can be had for not too much money ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

17 hours ago, g33k said:

I'd just repurpose some real-world coins.
If your daily pocket-change feels too "mundane" or "anachronistic" then foreign & "exotic" coins can be had for not too much money ...

Basically, I prefer dice over coins, because I don't need to toss them in the air.

3 hours ago, Mugen said:

Basically, I prefer dice over coins, because I don't need to toss them in the air.

You could use D2s. They do make them. Just make sure to get the D shaped ones, not to coin shaped ones. The math is one coin = 1D2-1.

Or  if you don't want to toss coins in the air, you could use one of those cups they use for Yahtzee, or even just cup the coins in your hands.

Back when I last played Prince Valiant, some of us would use SOLO cups. For some inexplicable reason we had quite a few defective SOLO cups that smelled of beer and couldn't hold a beverage for very long.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

4 hours ago, Mugen said:

Fair enough!
I find coins charming -- & PV-evocative -- and rather like them.

(also, as @atgxtg points out:  there's other ways to randomize your coins, than tossing them into the air)

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 hours ago, g33k said:

(also, as @atgxtg points out:  there's other ways to randomize your coins, than tossing them into the air)

None of which prevents them from ending up on the floor underneath the couch, stove, dog, priceless ming vase, etc. But then dice are just as bad. Still, you almost never see a coin get stuck between two sides, and when you do it's more impressive.

Greg's initial reason for using coins instead of dice was because Prince Valiant was designed as something you could play on the spur of the moment with non gamers. And most people wouldn't have dice on hand, but almost everybody had some change in their pockets back then, especially pennies, and any impromptu group could get together enough pennies to play. Even today you can buy a roll of pennies and get enough coins for a typical group for less than one set of dice.

You could change the game to dice, but you might have to adjust the difficult scale. Something like the demon abilities ladder (1D2/1D4/1D6/1D8/1D10/1D10+1D2) could work, dropping a step per point of difference, although it would alter the odds somewhat. 1D8 vs 1D6 isn't quite the same as 4 coins vs. 3. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Its just a success system where one half of the dice are successes. Roll whatever you like, odds is a failure Even is a success and that is it. You can roll a d6 and 4-6 is a success, a d12 and 7-12 is a success and that is it. The odds of success will be the same no roll something - something required or anything like that. It is a very simple system you could play with 2 different colored beads and it would still work the same. So if coins is not your thing take dice and you can just play it straight no questions asked.

Oh, the beads idea might be cool. Put like 10 and 10 different colored beads in a big dice bag, stir well, and then you pick X number of beads out, equal to the coin amount. Then count successes (color 1) and failures (color 2).

On 8/17/2024 at 6:08 PM, Morien said:

Oh, the beads idea might be cool. Put like 10 and 10 different colored beads in a big dice bag, stir well, and then you pick X number of beads out, equal to the coin amount. Then count successes (color 1) and failures (color 2).

But you won't have 50% chance that each bead is either black or white. 😄

2 hours ago, Mugen said:

But you won't have 50% chance that each bead is either black or white. 😄

You can, if you return each bead back after drawing it and stirring the bag a bit. 🙂

But you are right, my original thought had the problem.