Back To Balazar - Live on Jonstown Compendium

Back to Balazar - A Griffin Mountain Companion for 1625

Is now Live on Jonstown Compendium at an introductory price of $20.00 going up to $25.00 later

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/484904/back-to-balazar?affiliate_id=1427871

Feel free to turn this into a discussion thread as well happy to answer questions on why certain choices were made and not.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Jon Hunter said:

I'm going to be dropping some bits and bobs that didn't make it into the final version on here.

Remember that you can include as additional pdf files with the title on DriveThruRPG. I've often added such when I've reached particular medal levels or X number of ratings/reviews.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Remember that you can include as additional pdf files with the title on DriveThruRPG. I've often added such when I've reached particular medal levels or X number of ratings/reviews.

I think 210 pages is enough for now, especially as we are hoping for POD.

Some of these bits fill in gaps, and some will be brought into potential future supplements

• 2 weeks later...

I have just posted this on the Jonstown Compendium. I thought I'd add it here as well.

I have just finished reading this excellent supplement/complement to the classic Runequest book Griffin Mountain. 

Written by Jon Hunter, whose Back to Balazar website has over recent years hosted a lot of the information brought together in a more developed form here, it presents his version of Balazar in 1625. Some things have changed, some are the same or similar. A lot of the original characters are there, although Rigtaina is called Rigitania throughout for some reason. 

For those familiar with the original work, reading this gives you the same feeling that reading Griffin Mountain did all those years ago. The setting, the kings and notable people, the encounters, all make you want to play in Balazar. Highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JDM said:

I have just posted this on the Jonstown Compendium. I thought I'd add it here as well.

I have just finished reading this excellent supplement/complement to the classic Runequest book Griffin Mountain. 

Written by Jon Hunter, whose Back to Balazar website has over recent years hosted a lot of the information brought together in a more developed form here, it presents his version of Balazar in 1625. Some things have changed, some are the same or similar. A lot of the original characters are there, although Rigtaina is called Rigitania throughout for some reason. 

For those familiar with the original work, reading this gives you the same feeling that reading Griffin Mountain did all those years ago. The setting, the kings and notable people, the encounters, all make you want to play in Balazar. Highly recommended.

The reason is simple im dyslexic and the wonderful Frank didnt pick it up... sorry.

No more reason than that.

Thanks for the kind words, im glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by Jon Hunter

Posted (edited)

I’m delighted by ‘Back to Balazar’. Being transported back to Balazar has surfaced memories of long, heady school summer holidays in the 80s when my mates wandered around Balazar and the Elder Wilds. What fun we had.  

My PC’s are currently mustering for the Battle of the Queens. I now need to hurry them through that event so I can railroad them into a journey north.

The layout and presentation of the supplement is really good, the maps and internal art are excellent.

Once I have fully digested B2B, I shall post a review on DriveThru.  Thank you @Jon Hunter

Edited by RandomNumber
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

I’m delighted by ‘Back to Balazar’. Being transported back to Balazar has surfaced memories of long, heady school summer holidays in the 80s when my mates wandered around Balazar and the Elder Wilds. What fun we had.  

My PC’s are currently mustering for the Battle of the Queens. I now need to hurry them through that event so I can railroad them into a journey north.

The layout and presentation of the supplement is really good, the maps and internal art are excellent.

Once I have fully digested B2B, I shall post a review on DriveThru.  Thank you @Jon Hunter

Again thankyou for the kind words. much appreciated.

Let me know which bits really work for you.

On 7/4/2024 at 1:06 PM, Jon Hunter said:

Let me know which bits really work for you.

I liked many things, arts, layout, overall the heart put into it, and the respect of the original material. I liked the way family background is presented in there. I liked the new shamanism things. I liked those new spirit magic spells, well prepared NPCs with most having a great visual portrait. All the ideas given in the Encounter Tables... and it being a book about adventuring in Balazar.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Goldennose said:

I liked many things, arts, layout, overall the heart put into it, and the respect of the original material. I liked the way family background is presented in there. I liked the new shamanism things. I liked those new spirit magic spells, well prepared NPCs with most having a great visual portrait. All the ideas given in the Encounter Tables... and it being a book about adventuring in Balazar.

Well thankyou the kind words mean alot, particualry about respect and the heart.

Many thanks also go to Frank whoes proof reading and editing were more than invaluable. Dario for much fo the inner and character artwork and Neil for an awesome job of the layout.

Edited by Jon Hunter

Why do I have a feeling like the Elder Wilds will get thier own boom.

So only scanned through it, and felt a tug to rally my players back into the Neolithic role-playing experience that is Balazaar.

One thing that got me and this might be a YGWV, but I always envisioned the Votanki actually having semi permanent structures at their Dark/Storm/Sacred Time hearth.  Most of the year the from Sea Season to Earth Season, the tribes aside thier elders and young children travel following the herds and waterways, with tents and such retreating to thier more fixed sites during the harsher months.  What with the Guide to Glorantha showing earthen mound huts with what look like defensive berms for the Hearths. Or are these in your eyes built during the end of Earth Season.

On 7/13/2024 at 4:03 PM, Videopete said:

Why do I have a feeling like the Elder Wilds will get thier own boom.

So only scanned through it, and felt a tug to rally my players back into the Neolithic role-playing experience that is Balazaar.

One thing that got me and this might be a YGWV, but I always envisioned the Votanki actually having semi permanent structures at their Dark/Storm/Sacred Time hearth.  Most of the year the from Sea Season to Earth Season, the tribes aside thier elders and young children travel following the herds and waterways, with tents and such retreating to thier more fixed sites during the harsher months.  What with the Guide to Glorantha showing earthen mound huts with what look like defensive berms for the Hearths. Or are these in your eyes built during the end of Earth Season.

First yes , I cut this down to mainly Balazar material to keep the book size down, a chunk of troll material is being compiled into the trolls of the elder wilds which wll be smaller.

Read the example clans descriptions, some have permanent settlement,s some are completeley nomadic it depends on the clans cirumstances, history and ethos. The sacred sites are permanent settlements shared between clans as well.  For me the nomadic, distribted and shamanic nature of the culture leads to many variations along broad themes

• Like 1

• 1 month later...