Gwenthia

Trifletraxor

Ultimately, whatever your feelings about Chaosium, Mongoose, BRP or MRQ, Gwenthia is a setting first and foremost, developed as a place for great gaming (and it is. I've run games in many areas of Gwenthia and had a comnplete blast). MRQ will support the system as well as BRP, but the Gwenthia variant will have the following additions:

Magic: several completely new magic systems that are unlike any of the MRQ magic systems. Or BRP's, for that matter.

Combat: Pete Nash's brilliant combat rules will be the system used here.

Religion: These are the main areas we need to develop before going to publication. It'll be very different to MRQ's cult structures.

Creatures: A brand new bestiary, with creatures that fit ecological niches and have sound, believable rationales. If you've seen what we've done with the Iqari and She'eth, you'll see what sort of design approach we're taking.

I like that the Magic system will be a new one, so there's no conversion problems there. Hit locations and general hit points, how are that handled? Will the publication contain full rules for playing the system, or will it refer to the Mongoose RunQuest rulebooks? Will you be using the RuneQuest trademark, or just use the OGL and shape it as you want?

Enough thread-jacking from me, but I wanted to just outline why Gwenthia's going the way it is, and just make clear that Chaosium hasn't 'lost' it just because comms was lacking; there are other reasons outweighing that.

Good to hear. From what I heard earlier it sounded like the Design Mechanism just didn't hear back about the license. :P

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

There's actually several magic systems. Orb Magic, Mysticism, Shard Magic, Spirit Magic (very different to RQ SM) and Communal magic. All share similar elements, but all work very differently from each other and tie closely to the way Gwenthia works as a world.

On hit points - it'll be general hit points rather than hit locations.

On RQ logo or just OGL, we're going for the former. It means we can cross refer to the SRDs and RQ rulebooks, thereby saving space and not having to reinvent the wheel (save where it needs some reinvention, like the magic systems).

Y'know, just yakking about Gwenthia again s gettng me itching to get back to work on it. If only there were 30 hours in a day and 10 days in a week. :)

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

You are going to have your own magic systems and your own combat systems. What's left? Skills? Equipment?

Are you sure you don't want to just include everything in one book? That is what Mongoose did with Conan (If memory serves me right). Of course I would just end up using BRP anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter for me. ;)

Anyway, this is starting to sound pretty interesting, despite my anti-MRQ bias.

Any hint on page count and price range?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

You are going to have your own magic systems and your own combat systems. What's left? Skills? Equipment?

I'm working on the Religions chapter at the moment, in parallel with the continuing efforts on BRP Rome. As Loz said, Magic and Combat are done, though creatures are yet to be decided upon. Save for a few culturally specific skills and equipment, I'd imagine we'll run with what's available in the default MRQ rules.

It will be a fairly comprehensive book, since there is no knowing if it'll be a popular enough setting to support further supplements - and I loath the marketing concept of publishing multiple books to cover what should be core material.

Of course I would just end up using BRP anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter for me. ;)

That wouldn't be a problem. You could substitute your favourite combat rules, BRP skills and rolling mechanics as desired with no impact. The only area which cannot easily be substituted are the magic rules, which work differently from MRQ and BRP. They were specifically designed to be unique and have their own distinct flavour.

Its a fascinating blend of the favourite science, fantasy and imagination's of a group of die hard roleplayers, from a variety of different backgrounds.

Any hint on page count and price range?

No idea on either at the moment.

Estimated time of Arrival?

Loz and I are having a progress meeting in March to review Religions, before it goes to the Design Mechanism for a final critique. After that comes the Bestiary, editing, sourcing for artwork, and layout. Work on my side will progress much faster once BRP Rome is finished. So the only thing I can say for sure is not until the autumn at the earliest.

Well, Gwenthia isn't MRQ.

It's not produced by MOngoose, for a start.

It may use the Mongoose SRD as its basis, but that doesn't really tie it into RQM as the SRD is very customisable.

So, please people, don't turn your backs on the supplements produced for RQ by non-Mongoose companies just because people don't like Mongoose.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

• 1 month later...

So, please people, don't turn your backs on the supplements produced for RQ by non-Mongoose companies just because people don't like Mongoose.

Thanks. I applaud you. :)

People should not "tarnish" Gwenthia with the same brush, just because it uses the MRQ SRD. I happen to like MRQ. I'm also using it for Athennia, my own fantasy setting. I would use BRP, but I feel the license is just too costly. If it was OGL, however, I would use it in an instant. There is only a handful of non-Mongoose products being written for MRQ, and vast majority of it is of an excellent standard. I feel that there is a lot of anger aimed at MRQ for no good reason. People should take a step back for a moment, and see the potential of the system, rather than seeing it as the arch-rival to BRP.

Nathan Baron