Kangharl

Soccercalle

I am trying to figure out what is best for my campaign where Kangharl Blackmoor is a major enemy of the PC. Is he just an opportunist who abandoned the Orlanthi way to get power? Or would it be more fun to have him as an illuminated and being a member of both Orlanth and the Seven Mothers? Or maybe Storm Bull and Seven Mothers? (I have different sources making him both an Orlanth initiate and a Storm Bull initiate).

1 hour ago, Soccercalle said:

I am trying to figure out what is best for my campaign where Kangharl Blackmoor is a major enemy of the PC. Is he just an opportunist who abandoned the Orlanthi way to get power? Or would it be more fun to have him as an illuminated and being a member of both Orlanth and the Seven Mothers? Or maybe Storm Bull and Seven Mothers? (I have different sources making him both an Orlanth initiate and a Storm Bull initiate).

IIRC he was a character in the Sartar game, but no character stats were ever published.

As a king of the Colymar (if he ever became one, the Colymar royal lineage and family tree in the GM Screen adventure book is rather obscure) he would have become an initiate of Orlanth Rex at least.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I think Kangharl had come to the realization that continued resistance to the Empire is hopeless and all his decisions flowed from that.  Embracing opportunism or becoming illuminated came afterwards.

Edited by metcalph
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

He also may have siblings/relations held hostage at Furthest who he is trying to protect. 
And there is clearly a rivalry with Leika (perhaps even hostility, though whether based on personality clash, feelings towards the Lunars, etc. is unknown).

It feels like Kangharl has complexities to his personality or it has evolved from original opposition to the Lunars to acceptance. 

• Like 1

I follow @Joerg on Orlanth Rex, now that doesn't require any illumination. All Orlanthi are not "good" orlanthi (and what is good ? a thief who  steals for is own interest may be good ? but that's not fine for the Orlanthi chief who will condamn it) If he leads his people as a Rex must lead.

I follow @jajagappa and to add complexity

I believe that's Kangharl was hostage himself. So (in addition) :

1) he may have some resentiment against his people who did not suffer what it did. "What, you want me to resist, you want me to help you ? but where were you when you sent me to the empire ? Was your life more difficult than me ? So, now I'm the king, be a good orlanthi, follow my instructions"

2) he may have been convinced by the lunar way (maybe illuminated, maybe not, for me not, I dislike to use illumination as the wild card explaining everything) that Orlanth must be cleansed. So he may be a fervent Orlanthi but in the Lunar way. "If you knew the lunars as I know them, you would understand that the red moon wants to welcome Orlanth, wants to make an eternal peace between our people, wants to breathe and... maybe.... to breed. So, now I'm here, be a good orlanthi, follow my advices"

Grey is better than black or white (for me)

• Like 2