Introducing a New Player

d10tavern

When it comes to tabletop role-playing he tends to like fantasy. The thing that made me think of BRP is right now he's playing Oblivion, and he keeps mentioning how much he likes that character advancement is based on skill usage. That added to the fact that Oblivion uses stats in the 100s range reminded me of when I played some old RuneQuest and its skill advancement system, and I think he would probably really enjoy the BRP system.

The d10 Tavern - Role-playing and other games.

Free games: Odd Story | Smeg!

Well I like the BRP book and Call of Cthulhu at present, but RuneQuest remains a favourite of mine, and I often refer to my old RQ3 book when I play fantasy. Given that it is now 2012 and not 1986 then I would advise you to get the latest incarnation of RuneQuest, RQ6. It plays very well and is designed for the fantasy setting, and would be a great fit for porting a setting like Elder Scrolls into the PNP arena. You certainty can't go wrong with RQ6, although if money is an issue then LEGEND is also a great buy, as it is essentially a repackaged version of the previous RQ rules, which was developed by the same authors as the current RQ6. Its also in a handy digest format making it inexpensive, although you need the additional Monsters Of LEGEND book to have some foes (and buying Arms of LEGEND is also a good purchase). However if you buy RQ6 you get most of that under one cover, with some updated rules.

So I reckon go for RQ6 or LEGEND.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

However, keep in mind that Legend and RuneQuest do not have the "improvement by usage" system of old RQ3. They use GM-assigned improvement points that you distribute among your favoured skills. If that system is what you really wish in your game, then you should stick to BRP.

However, the magic system of Elder Scrolls is better emulated by Legend Sorcery, as it allows you to group magic skills by "schools" (grimoires in Legend) and to personalize spells. You may wish to pick the magic from Legend and adapt it to BRP in order to obtain a decent Elder Scrolls simulator.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

You may wish to pick the magic from Legend and adapt it to BRP in order to obtain a decent Elder Scrolls simulator.
This is sound advice, esp if you prefer the BRP Skill Check system (my favourite) to Improvement Rolls in regards to character experience.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

However, keep in mind that Legend and RuneQuest do not have the "improvement by usage" system of old RQ3. They use GM-assigned improvement points that you distribute among your favoured skills. If that system is what you really wish in your game, then you should stick to BRP.

However, the magic system of Elder Scrolls is better emulated by Legend Sorcery, as it allows you to group magic skills by "schools" (grimoires in Legend) and to personalize spells. You may wish to pick the magic from Legend and adapt it to BRP in order to obtain a decent Elder Scrolls simulator.

This is sound advice, esp if you prefer the BRP Skill Check system (my favourite) to Improvement Rolls in regards to character experience.

Improving skills through usage is a must, as that's one of the things he really likes about the Elder Scrolls system, so thank you both very much for the advice.

When it comes to tabletop role-playing he tends to like fantasy. The thing that made me think of BRP is right now he's playing Oblivion, and he keeps mentioning how much he likes that character advancement is based on skill usage. That added to the fact that Oblivion uses stats in the 100s range reminded me of when I played some old RuneQuest and its skill advancement system, and I think he would probably really enjoy the BRP system.

The Elder Scrolls series was created by Ken Rolston. Ken Rolston was the developer of RuneQuest III while at Avalon Hill for many years in the 90s. So, yeah, BRP is a good choice for him.

Man, I'd love to point you toward "Magic World", but it's not out yet.

Failing that, maybe you can get your hands on the old Elric! game. It's pretty much my favorite version of BRP fantasy from the Chaosium games, and formed the core of Magic World. So, if you got him started on Elric!, he'd be able to convert his game over to MW with little work when MW finally comes out.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I actually have the Avalon Hill boxed-set version of RuneQuest, though I haven't pulled it out in a really long time, and I have a copy of Stormbringer. I think overall though, especially based on some of the things that have been said in this thread, BRP is the most attractive option to me because not only can it do fantasy just fine, but if for some reason he wants to start playing in another genre then we can do that while still keeping the same set of rules.

That's really interesting information about Ken Rolston. I had no idea the creator of The Elder Scrolls also worked on a BRP system. That's really cool.

I'll have to keep a look out for Magic World. Right now I'm wanting to buy BRP and Iron Kingdoms, and when Magic World comes out, I'll be adding that to my list too.

Thanks for all the great information!

• 1 month later...

Might want to try an actual elder scrolls campaign taking place between two of the games but that'd be a LOT of work.

You'd have to create a TON of races, and that includes over 5 varieties of Khajiit.

Then you'd have to create a vampire template

Then you'd have to create a were-creature template or several.

Follow that up with a lich template.

Then on top of that, you'd have to come up with a balanced way to implement spell crafting- The GM Review method seems best here, as it means you can just assign skills to schools of magic and then spells to those, new spells being assigned an appropriate skill and school.

A lot of work, but if you can get him in on BRP for that, it might be worth it all.