Books of spells?

seanhess

We finally gave the magic/wizard rules in the core book a full shot and were surprised by how well thought-out and balanced they were.

Are there other books with extra spells that use the same system?

Where is the "Grimoire" mentioned in this thread? http://basicroleplaying.com/basic-roleplaying/grimoire-monograph-finished-2307/2/

I added another 150 spells in Classic Fantasy for the Magic system used in the BRP core rules.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Great, thanks! Why can't I find classic fantasy in the catalog? - Chaosium Inc.

Are there other books that aren't listed?

PDF only. They are out of stock of the hard copy.

Classic Fantasy Chaosium Inc.

Mrhemlocks is selling a copy on this forum

http://basicroleplaying.com/basic-roleplaying/selling-lords-tarsa-classic-fantasy-new-3225/

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I've been thinking that maybe instead of all the different spells is to make magic more of a toolbox.

So it is easy to work out how many PP are needed depending on AoE, Range, Magnitude / Intensity etc. It would make things a lot easier in my opinion.

I've been thinking that maybe instead of all the different spells is to make magic more of a toolbox.

So it is easy to work out how many PP are needed depending on AoE, Range, Magnitude / Intensity etc. It would make things a lot easier in my opinion.

Yes, that is more the sort of thing I'd find useful... particularly if it had options/guidelines for creating spells with particular flavors... magical, scientific, fairy-tale, dangerous, whimsical.

Here's an article I read last night that got my thoughts churning: Breaking Out of Scientific Magic Systems

Yes, that is more the sort of thing I'd find useful... particularly if it had options/guidelines for creating spells with particular flavors... magical, scientific, fairy-tale, dangerous, whimsical.

Here's an article I read last night that got my thoughts churning: Breaking Out of Scientific Magic Systems

Just had a skip read of that....good article.

I see no reason not to share my idea.

Alchemy

This is the type of magic that requires the forging of the Philosopher’s Stone.

Hedge Magic

Is the simplest kind and by far the easiest and consists of spells such as detect magic, farsee and other such things.

Mysticism

This is for those are push their bodies beyond what normal humans are capable of, many term it chi, and is generally split into augmentation and manipulation - the latter of which are more 'magical' in nature than the former. Many will also supplement their knowledge with hedge magic.

Ritual Magic

The kind that require complex preparation and cannot be done on the 'fly,' and must be prepared in advance in the form of materials, sacred spaces etc.

Sorcery

This is by far the most powerful variety allowing the user to use internal reserves and channel natural ambient magic and to shape the magic to add extra power far beyond that of other types. As a result it is split into various fields of study; elemental, nature (need some ides for others)

Witchcraft

This is a halfway house between ritual magic and hedge magic, even including some principles of sorcery, but it does require ingredients.

Magnitude / Intensity: Each increment above one means another MP / PP or whatever

Area of Effect: At Mag 1 it is touch only, after that it is Pow x metres up to magnitude 10, after that it is Pow x kilometres. This would cover some of the other spells such as deluge and such-like that have a starting AoE of km x Magnitude.

Duration: Still working on

Range: Not sure whether to use the Magic Book one, or the RQ one, which has vastly different ranges. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Been using Bard's games Arcanum to add to our games system, it has great ideas on nagic ingredents. With some stuff from Chivalry and sorcery. And smidge from Bonewits' Real Magic. bRPs strength and for some its weakness is that it is highlybadpatable. From my dnd zombies, they have problems with its open nature.

I love those ideas, but they really need a system to be built from the ground up. BRP already models a magic-free world, so overcoming point #2 is going to be very difficult.

That said, my own issue with how magic is usually portrayed is that there's nothing that truly separates it from science. You perform a certain ritual and it produces a certain effect, reliably and repeatably. This is kind of point #1, I guess, but the article's proposed solutions just take the knowledge of how the system works away from the players (and their characters). There are still specific rules that govern how magic works that can be scientifically determined. If you repeat the same spell under the same circumstances (including circumstances that might be hidden from you) you will produce the same effect every time, and so will anyone else who tries it. I want to see magic as more of an art than a science, where each magician has his own unique style that can possibly be imitated (imperfectly) but never truly replicated, and where magic isn't just about going through a checklist of ritual steps to cast whatever spell. I don't know how this would be represented in an RPG, and it is admittedly more fluff than crunch, but that's what I'd like to see.

Guest Vile Traveller

I actually don't mind the fact that magic in most games works like science. Apart from the obvious advantage in terms of game play, I always go back to Mr Clarke's famous quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."