Movement

Trifletraxor

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think SIZ because it does factor Mass, at least in part, does need to be part of the equation. A large Size is not always good. Does a longer stride offset the ambient mass and the strength needed to move it?

Right now the only notable negative for a large Size is if you use the optional skill categories... and then only for "Physical" skills.

SDLeary

I've been tempted for some time to work out STR in a fashion similar to Swordbearer. In that game a person's STR is based off of their SIZ and varies a few points. In BRP terms something like STR-4+2d3.

On a related note, while working on a alien creature generator, I ended up basing creature STR dice in relation to SIZ. For instance humans worked out as having a 4D6 SIZ (adjusted to 2D6+6 by trading some dice for a fixed bonus), and having STR dice 3/4 of their SIZ [3/4*4D6=3D6].

Most of the animals in BRP work out along similar lines with STR dice of 1/2, 3/4, 1x, or 5/4 SIZ.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 8 months later...

My move rate system based on Str+dex is based on comparing max human speed to max animal speeds obviously it will never be 100% accurate . Also i just figured out a good system for Chaosiums Runequest 2 rpg it allow characters to have different move rates, based on DEX,STR i dont base it on size cause i think size can be decieving as not all large sized people are tall and have long legs. but one could make it size if they prefer. the new move system for chaosiums RQ2 rpg can even give monsters random move rates and still keep true to the average of that creature type i will try to post it up soon

I would probably base MOV/speed on STR and DEX, modified negatively by SIZ (as mass).

Basically, creatures of identical STR and DEX but differing SIZ, the one with less SIZ "should" be faster. Creatures of identical DEX and SIZ, but differing in STR, the one with less STR "should" be slower. And, finally, creatures of identical STR and SIZ, but differing in DEX, the one with less DEX "should" be slower (though, this would be less of an effect than the other two scenarios).

I'll be playing with some formulas and present some ideas later.

Also, I think basing STR of SIZ can work in either direction. Sure, larger creatures can be stronger (though not always the case), so it is also true that stronger creatures would have more mass (again, not always the case). If SIZ were to solely be mass, I would base SIZ off of STR to represent greater muscle mass. But, that would not take into account body fat. Similarly, while a larger creature (both length/height and mass) would have to be stronger on average to move its bulk around, it is very possible that there would exist smaller but stronger creatures. Again, something I may have to consider as well ...

Ian

Edited by vagabond

Quick cobble together - for humans (and human sized) PCs:

SIZ = 2d6 + 6

STR = SIZ + 2d6 - 6

That would give a nice range of 8 - 18 for SIZ, and corresponding (and larger range) of 4 - 24 for STR. Averages would be 13 for SIZ, and 14 for STR.

I suppose that a similar formula could be extended for other SIZ ranges as well ... using the same xd6 + y for SIZ, and xd6 - y for STR. I'll have to examine other creature SIZ and STR rolls to see how well it would work out.

Ian

I would probably base MOV/speed on STR and DEX, modified negatively by SIZ (as mass).

Basically, creatures of identical STR and DEX but differing SIZ, the one with less SIZ "should" be faster. Creatures of identical DEX and SIZ, but differing in STR, the one with less STR "should" be slower. And, finally, creatures of identical STR and SIZ, but differing in DEX, the one with less DEX "should" be slower (though, this would be less of an effect than the other two scenarios).

After looking through the BGB and Elric! for some example MOV values (as well as the primary definition of what MOV means), I have decided to rethink this.

Since MOV is primarily defined as the number of units something can move in a combat round (emphasis mine), MOV should be primarily based upon DEX, then modified by STR (the stronger, the better) and SIZ (small is bad, average to large is good, but beyond a certain point, large is very bad).

My reasoning - given how short a combat round is, the amount of distance one can move is based upon explosiveness, reaction and agility. So, a quick reaction rules, and a high STR and low SIZ can augment the distance due to acceleration (strength to weight/mass ratio), but very high SIZ hampers (mass increases exponentially as SIZ gets higher, while strength increases in a more linear fashion, so the strength to weight/mass ration gets worse as a creature gets bigger), and very small SIZ hampers due to a smaller stride.

So, I would base MOV on DEX, and modify based upon a STR/SIZ ratio. This makes sense for most of the creatures given - dragons, while immensely strong and huge have a low DEX. Minotaurs, while strong and dexterous, have a lot of mass for their strength to move. I would also give a bonus to quadrupeds, hexapods, octopods, etc.

Also, I noted that while many of the creatures in BGB and Elric! have the same MOV, human sized creatures have a base MOV of 10 in BGB, but only a base MOV of 8 in Elric!. The latter makes more sense given some of the other values presented - wolves have a MOV of 10, but I would say that given a combat round, a wolf would be able to cover more ground than a person.

Ian