BRP Mecha for fantasy mechs? Kaiju?

Simlasa

So my homebrew scifi fantasy setting has long had giant monsters as well as enormous constructs (war golems) to keep them at bay. They're pretty much powered by magic.

Up until now they've mostly been set dressing... they're too powerful for a small group of PCs, it would take a small army to put one down... maybe. They're the stuff of legends, more often talked about than seen.

As such I don't have a lot of hard and fast rules for them.

But I'm wondering, would the newish BRP Mecha book have much in the way ideas for me getting them on the table (not that they'd fit)?

I've got setting 'fluff' that would allow for a PC to upload its mind into one of these behemoths for a while... so going to battle with some mountainous outre monstrosity might make for an epic finale.

Also, some of them are odd compared to traditional mecha, only a few are humanoid at all... instead, they're a giant floating head, a clouds of swords, a trio of huge spinning pillars covered in weighted chains, a temple fortress on spidery legs.

I'm fine with them as vague legends that turn up occasionally as scenario mcguffins... but maybe I should do more with them?

Does BRP Mecha have anything to offer me? Would I be trying to fit a square peg into round hole?

I have BRP Mecha but haven't read it yet. However, since it's meant to allow transformable mechas, and these often have one or more non-humanoid shapes, I think you shouldn't have any problem, besides having to come up with the hit locations peculiar to each shape.

Yes, you can absolutely use BRP Mecha to portray such giant creatures. Many weapons and devices described in Mecha will not be useful to you, but if you want to stage a battle where these giant entities beat up dragons, pick up trees and use them as clubs, smash foes into castle walls to bury them under a pile of rocks and plaster etc. etc. then BRP Mecha has rules for THAT.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Cool! Thanks for the info.

I've wanted to have fantasy mechs battling in my setting ever since I saw an ad for Ware's Blade in an old Hobby Japan.

I'll go ahead and order it then... not as if I wasn't going to anyway, but that's an extra layer of justifieds.

Now... if only Interplanetary would come out...

Edited by Simlasa

So my homebrew scifi fantasy setting has long had giant monsters as well as enormous constructs (war golems) to keep them at bay. <snip>

Also, some of them are odd compared to traditional mecha, only a few are humanoid at all... instead, they're a giant floating head, a clouds of swords, a trio of huge spinning pillars covered in weighted chains, a temple fortress on spidery legs.

I just wanted to pop in here and say this is really cool. I used to really dig the Iron Kingdoms/Warmachine stuff, but this is far more intriguing.