Question about New BRP (Zero Edition and 1st)

Tywyll

Hey,

New poster here.

I am really excited by the prospect of the new BRP book and am tempted to buy the Zero edition (even though I will probably simply wait till the edited version comes out). I've been a big fan of BRP since I got 2nd or 3rd (I forget which) ed Stormbringer, and then CoC, Nephilim, Elric!, and Runequest.

While I think that the basic engine of BRP is a good basis for a 'universal' system, I have questions about some specifics.

1) How much 'fiddle' room is there? If you want to use BRP for a more cinematic style game rather than a 'realistic' one, do they give rules/advice on doing it?

2) Race creation... is there any guidelines on such? Does the book contain some generic races for play (elf, dwarf, dragons, etc)?

3) Magic/Psionics/etc. How malleable are these systems? Every magic system I've seen for BRP is very world specific. Do they limit their example to a single style of magic, or do they have various systems you pick from, or rules to build your own system?

4) Total HP or Location HP? Do the power systems change dependent on which you use (1 Mp per d6 damage is one thing in a 'total HP' system, its something else entirely when targeting a location based hp)?

5) Skill/Attribute advancement... which of the many systems that BRP has used gets use this time or do they give you multiple choices?

Thanks for your time!

1) How much 'fiddle' room is there? If you want to use BRP for a more cinematic style game rather than a 'realistic' one, do they give rules/advice on doing it?

There are some guidelines for this, including alternate means of character creations (for more competent characters), some combat rules that defy realism, a drama/fate point system, an alternate means of determining hit points for heroic characters (heroes and major villains get CON+SIZ, everyone else uses (CON+SIZ)/2), etc.

2) Race creation... is there any guidelines on such? Does the book contain some generic races for play (elf, dwarf, dragons, etc)?

No guidelines on race creation, but RQ/SB/CoC-style stat blocks (with dice rolled) for all three of those, plus centaurs, halflings, minotaurs, and orcs, as far as fantasy critters go. Lots of other monsters, and a couple of dozen sample NPCs from a variety of settings.

3) Magic/Psionics/etc. How malleable are these systems? Every magic system I've seen for BRP is very world specific. Do they limit their example to a single style of magic, or do they have various systems you pick from, or rules to build your own system?

There are five power systems. Magic (a simple %-based classic magic system), Mutations, Psychic Powers, Sorcery, and Super Powers. Each works its own way, none are setting-specific, and they are pretty malleable.

4) Total HP or Location HP? Do the power systems change dependent on which you use (1 Mp per d6 damage is one thing in a 'total HP' system, its something else entirely when targeting a location based hp)?

Total HP is the default system. Hit locations are optional.

5) Skill/Attribute advancement... which of the many systems that BRP has used gets use this time or do they give you multiple choices?

The standard experience model is presented, though the GM may adjust the die used for a standard experience gain.

Thanks for your time!

Happy to be of help!

First off, thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. It certainly makes me more excited about the new BRP. A few follow ups however...

There are some guidelines for this, including alternate means of character creations (for more competent characters), some combat rules that defy realism, a drama/fate point system, an alternate means of determining hit points for heroic characters (heroes and major villains get CON+SIZ, everyone else uses (CON+SIZ)/2), etc.

That's cool. Are there any rules for 'special abilities' outside of standard skills (like the old Ki Abilities, or anything similar)?

Oh, is there a 'point buy' system for attributes?

No guidelines on race creation, but RQ/SB/CoC-style stat blocks (with dice rolled) for all three of those, plus centaurs, halflings, minotaurs, and orcs, as far as fantasy critters go. Lots of other monsters, and a couple of dozen sample NPCs from a variety of settings.

That's a bit disappointing, but at least we have a basis to work with.

There are five power systems. Magic (a simple %-based classic magic system), Mutations, Psychic Powers, Sorcery, and Super Powers. Each works its own way, none are setting-specific, and they are pretty malleable.

When you say they are malleable, do you mean that there are rules and options for 'making them your own'? For example, if the base magic requires every spell to be a skill, and you couldn't wear armor while casting (just as an example) but someone wanted a 'high magic' world where-in all casting was tied to a single (or small number) of skills, and armor could be worn while casting, could these kind of changes be made without the system choking?

How is Sorcery different from Magic?

I noticed there is nothing that seems to include 'divine' magic. Can this sort of magic be handled by 'magic' or 'sorcery'? Would their fx change the mechanics at all?

Total HP is the default system. Hit locations are optional.

Cool. while I like HL systems, I always find they tend to slow down combat (as well as the dissatisfaction of high skill characters not being able to alter hits after the fact).

Speaking of which-how are multiple attacks handled? Is it dex based, or do they come at certain levels of skill?

The standard experience model is presented, though the GM may adjust the die used for a standard experience gain.

Cool. Which attribute experience model is used? Are there rules for training att/skills?

Happy to be of help!

Thank you so much! I'm really eager to get my hands on this book.

Another Couple of questions:

1) How is armor handled (set value, or rolled)?

2) Are there rules for aimed shots or attempting to avoid armor or anything like that?

3) Could a campaign work with the different power systems combined (a super next to a mutant or Wizard, for example) or are they too different in power?

4) Difficulty of tasks (something that bugged me about older BRP rules... no modifiers to skills based on the difficulty of the roll being attempted). Is this issue addressed at all?

Cheers!

1) Both fixed-AP and rolled options are given.

2) Yes, both aiming for general accuracy and aiming for specific hit locations (if you're going to use that option after all) are catered for. So you can use that to avoid armour - but there's no silly "-40% to auto-critical" rule like MRQ has).

3) Could probably be made to work by a crafty GM, but it's not recommended.

4) Yes, Easy and Difficult have x2 and x1/2 multipliers respectively (so much better than absolute penalties/bonuses like +20% or whatever, which were messy and arbitrary, although I think RQ3 etc did have them).

Soz - got to run, work calls... bleuch!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I noticed there is nothing that seems to include 'divine' magic. Can this sort of magic be handled by 'magic' or 'sorcery'? Would their fx change the mechanics at all?

The main point of the system that I like is the optional allegiance system. Characters can align themselves to deities or organizations, which is then measure by an Allegiance stat. This has given me the idea of creating a way for the various class abilities from DnD to be used in BRP.

While I’m still working out a system to handle this for my campaign, the general idea will be that players will align themselves with one of the deities in my campaign world and the more allegiance they gain with that deity, the more divine abilities they will have access to, this will include such things as the ability to cast divine spells to being able to turn undead.

Of course the PCs will have to decide if they will be a priest or warrior for their god, which will change the way they receive divine powers, but beyond that, I think it’s a very good system to use.

As far as the magic, mutations, psionic, super-powers system is concerned, if handled properly, I think you’ll be able to integrate them all into the same setting. Personally, I won’t be integrating all of them, but I can see how you could do that if that was the style of game you were interested in running.

I was going to hold off on buying the rules until the edited edition came out, but when they put Zero edition on sale on April 1st, I just had to buy it. I’m glad I did because it’s allowed me to go ahead and begin making the necessary rules I’ll need for my next campaign. Also, when the final edition does come out, I’ll basically have 2 rule books that I can use while my players are making characters/playing the game.

Sure the two won’t be exactly alike, but I don’t see them making to many changes between the two versions as they’re editing the book.

Oh and sorcery spells just work, no skill roll required, but they can be resisted.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

1) Both fixed-AP and rolled options are given.

2) Yes, both aiming for general accuracy and aiming for specific hit locations (if you're going to use that option after all) are catered for. So you can use that to avoid armour - but there's no silly "-40% to auto-critical" rule like MRQ has).

3) Could probably be made to work by a crafty GM, but it's not recommended.

4) Yes, Easy and Difficult have x2 and x1/2 multipliers respectively (so much better than absolute penalties/bonuses like +20% or whatever, which were messy and arbitrary, although I think RQ3 etc did have them).

Soz - got to run, work calls... bleuch!

Cool. Thanks for the update.

Hum, I'm disappointed with the lack of difficulty modifiers. I disagree that they are arbitrary or messy, and find such much more easy to use (and providing a greater breadth of scope) than simply having 3 categories for all levels of complexity. That seems arbitrary to me personally. I think the environment and circumstances (not to mention equipment) should have more impact on the success and failure of a task. Ah well, easy enough to add in I suppose.

The main point of the system that I like is the optional allegiance system. Characters can align themselves to deities or organizations, which is then measure by an Allegiance stat. This has given me the idea of creating a way for the various class abilities from DnD to be used in BRP.

While I’m still working out a system to handle this for my campaign, the general idea will be that players will align themselves with one of the deities in my campaign world and the more allegiance they gain with that deity, the more divine abilities they will have access to, this will include such things as the ability to cast divine spells to being able to turn undead.

Of course the PCs will have to decide if they will be a priest or warrior for their god, which will change the way they receive divine powers, but beyond that, I think it’s a very good system to use.

As far as the magic, mutations, psionic, super-powers system is concerned, if handled properly, I think you’ll be able to integrate them all into the same setting. Personally, I won’t be integrating all of them, but I can see how you could do that if that was the style of game you were interested in running.

I was going to hold off on buying the rules until the edited edition came out, but when they put Zero edition on sale on April 1st, I just had to buy it. I’m glad I did because it’s allowed me to go ahead and begin making the necessary rules I’ll need for my next campaign. Also, when the final edition does come out, I’ll basically have 2 rule books that I can use while my players are making characters/playing the game.

Sure the two won’t be exactly alike, but I don’t see them making to many changes between the two versions as they’re editing the book.

Oh and sorcery spells just work, no skill roll required, but they can be resisted.

Oh, they have an allegiance system in the base book? That's sweet! I love your idea of providing abilities based on allegiance. I hope you post it somewhere when you are finished with it. I'd love to see it.

Had I even known that BRP Zero existed, and that sale was on, I would have picked one up as well. But as I live in Scotland and won't be back to the states until summer, I figure I might as well wait and pick up one of the 'finished' books when they are out. Which is frustrating as I really want this book... :(

If Sorcery and Wizardry both have spells.... which handles summoning magic? Is Sorcery in BRP have anything in common with Sorcery from RQ3 or is more like the magic from Elric!?

Cheers!

Cool. Thanks for the update.

Hum, I'm disappointed with the lack of difficulty modifiers. I disagree that they are arbitrary or messy, and find such much more easy to use (and providing a greater breadth of scope) than simply having 3 categories for all levels of complexity. That seems arbitrary to me personally. I think the environment and circumstances (not to mention equipment) should have more impact on the success and failure of a task. Ah well, easy enough to add in I suppose.

Actually, Easy and Difficult while the most common modifiers are not the only ones. I'm at work but if I recall there are -10%, +20% etc all over the place. Range modifiers and equipment quality for instance. If I remember correctly it even states something like "beyond +30% modifiers become Easy and beyond -30% they become Hard.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

If Sorcery and Wizardry both have spells.... which handles summoning magic? Is Sorcery in BRP have anything in common with Sorcery from RQ3 or is more like the magic from Elric!?

The Sorcery summoning is basically the summoning rules from Stormbringer 5 (which I believe are more or less the same as Elric!). The Sorcery rules are extremely easy to use, the summoning is tightly integrated, and to be honest from a D&D perspective could just as easily model divine magic as sorcery. If you wanted to, for example, you could have the Magic rules for Wizards, the Sorcery rules for divine magic, and the psychic rules for psionics... and probably the Mutations rules for Chaotic Features if you wanted. The Super Powers rules in a fantasy campaign for me work best as a list of special abilities different monsters or races have (ie for describing infravision, cold resistance, etc).

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Are there any rules for 'special abilities' outside of standard skills (like the old Ki Abilities, or anything similar)?

No, as those are more setting-specific. I'm hoping that any setting books include these.

Oh, is there a 'point buy' system for attributes?

As an optional rule, yes.

When you say they are malleable, do you mean that there are rules and options for 'making them your own'? For example, if the base magic requires every spell to be a skill, and you couldn't wear armor while casting (just as an example) but someone wanted a 'high magic' world where-in all casting was tied to a single (or small number) of skills, and armor could be worn while casting, could these kind of changes be made without the system choking?

Yes. A GM can easily come up with modifiers to make these systems idiosyncratic to a setting. How much "choking" would occur is mostly a matter of opinion and how severe the changes are.

How is Sorcery different from Magic?

Magic is percentile based. Spend the power points and roll to see if the spell works. Sorcery always works (unless it calls for a resistance roll) once points are spent.

You could call either one of them divine if you'd like. You could add an Allegiance requirement to spellcasting. Similarly, the psychic powers could be handled in the same fashion. If I recall correctly, an example of play for psychic powers spotlights a priest.

Speaking of which-how are multiple attacks handled? Is it dex based, or do they come at certain levels of skill?

Skill-based, with DEX as a modifier.

You can also use the strike rank optional system, which allows more multiple attacks.

Which attribute experience model is used? Are there rules for training att/skills?

If you test a characteristic successfully in a resistance roll in a challenging situation where your chance of success is less than 50%, you can check to see if it improves. Or you could train it up.

Full rules for study and training.

Hum, I'm disappointed with the lack of difficulty modifiers. I disagree that they are arbitrary or messy, and find such much more easy to use (and providing a greater breadth of scope) than simply having 3 categories for all levels of complexity. That seems arbitrary to me personally. I think the environment and circumstances (not to mention equipment) should have more impact on the success and failure of a task.

They're there.

Difficulty modifiers are applied after the the skill rating is modified (x2 for Easy, x.5 if Difficult).

So, for example, if a doctor is in the hospital with all of his medical paraphernalia, handling a routine task will be Easy (x2 skill), and at +20% for the gear. Treating a rare condition might be a normal roll with some (but not ideal) gear might be a normal roll, with no modifier. If he's treating a rare condition on a muddy, rainy battlefield with no gear, it would be Difficult (x.5 skill) and -20% for no gear.

1) How is armor handled (set value, or rolled)?

To be specific, fixed armor value is the default, and rolled is an option.

3) Could a campaign work with the different power systems combined (a super next to a mutant or Wizard, for example) or are they too different in power?

It could work, but the GM should proceed cautiously. The powers are (as stated in the rules) not balanced against one another.

They can be made to play nicely with one another in many regards, but you're also running the risk of ending up with many arguments and conundrums of the "Do Superman's invulnerable skin and vulnerability to magic cancel each other out against Thor's enchanted hammer and super-strength?*" variety.

And that way lies madness...

* Even though the answer is obviously that Thor kills Superman in one hit.

It could work, but the GM should proceed cautiously. The powers are (as stated in the rules) not balanced against one another.

They can be made to play nicely with one another in many regards, but you're also running the risk of ending up with many arguments and conundrums of the "Do Superman's invulnerable skin and vulnerability to magic cancel each other out against Thor's enchanted hammer and super-strength?*" variety.

And that way lies madness...

But as GM, you can always make a ruling for the sake of the story!:D

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Jason (et al)

Thanks for all the information! I really appreciate it! It just makes me want the book all that much more. I have a few more questions, but its quite late. My main one is about the Allegiance rules, they are optional rules in the book, correct? Are these like the rules in Elric!?

Again, thanks everyone!

Are these like the rules in Elric!?

Yes, but devoid of the setting connotations.

They're generic enough so that you could use "Ǽsir/Christ" (for a Norse historical game), "God/Lucifer" (for a Christianity-based historical game), "The Light Side/The Dark Side" (Star Wars), "Windows/Mac" (the ultimate cyberpunk dystopia), or even "Flying Spaghetti Monster/Cthulhu" (the real world, of course).

Yes, but devoid of the setting connotations.

They're generic enough so that you could use "Ǽsir/Christ" (for a Norse historical game), "God/Lucifer" (for a Christianity-based historical game), "The Light Side/The Dark Side" (Star Wars), "Windows/Mac" (the ultimate cyberpunk dystopia), or even "Flying Spaghetti Monster/Cthulhu" (the real world, of course).

LOL!

Thanks for the details, your responses are both enlightening and very entertaining :D . Do they work similar to Elric! as far as the bonuses they provide are concerned(hp, mp, or skills)? Or do they have other options?

They're there.

Difficulty modifiers are applied after the the skill rating is modified (x2 for Easy, x.5 if Difficult).

So, for example, if a doctor is in the hospital with all of his medical paraphernalia, handling a routine task will be Easy (x2 skill), and at +20% for the gear. Treating a rare condition might be a normal roll with some (but not ideal) gear might be a normal roll, with no modifier. If he's treating a rare condition on a muddy, rainy battlefield with no gear, it would be Difficult (x.5 skill) and -20% for no gear.

Ok, that sounds really good. Glad to hear it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question. Are there rules for adjusting the level of lethality for weapons? If the default weapon damages are as Stormbringer 5 (my understanding right now) is there any allowance for adjusting the missile weapon damages to be more in line with Stormbringer 1, for instance?

Another question. Are there rules for adjusting the level of lethality for weapons? If the default weapon damages are as Stormbringer 5 (my understanding right now) is there any allowance for adjusting the missile weapon damages to be more in line with Stormbringer 1, for instance?

The damage values are from SB5/Elric!, Call of Cthulhu, and RQ3 where needed to fill in the gaps. Some damage values were made generic, rather than for specific weapons (such as with firearms).

I didn't include any damage modification or "lethality" adjustment.

OK, that's what I thought. I was hoping the 'heavier' missile damages from SB1 had made the cut, plus some of the interesting options from that version of BRP such as using bucklers and target shields as missile weapons. It would make it easier to sell to a new group if they can be shown an 'official' rule. Perhaps in a future version/edition of the book? I'm guessing you are probably keeping a list of possible things to add or modify.

Hey,

One thing I've not heard much about is Superpowers. How are they handled? Are they effects based like HERO (Blast, Armor, Flight, etc) or specific (fire bolt, skin of stone, wings)?

Are there modifiers to powers (advantages or disadvantages) that modify the cost?

What 'comic level' do the characters default to (gritty street vigilantes, X-men, Avengers, Superman)?

Cheers!

From a quick look it's: HERO-style; Yes, modifiers; and Your Choice (various points options given). Not really my area, though.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

One thing I've not heard much about is Superpowers. How are they handled? Are they effects based like HERO (Blast, Armor, Flight, etc) or specific (fire bolt, skin of stone, wings)?

Somewhere between the two styles.

Here's a list of the superpowers:

Absorption

Adaptation

Alternate Form

Armor

Barrier

Defense

Density Control

Diminish/Enhance Characteristic

Drain

Energy Control

Energy Projection

Extra Energy

Extra Hit Points

Flight

Force Field

Intangibility

Invisibility

Leap

Protection

Regeneration

Sidekick

Size Change

Snare Projection

Stretching

Super Characteristic

Super Movement

Super Sense

Super Skill

Super Speed

Teleport

Transfer

Unarmed Combat

Weather Control

Many of these are broken into sub-powers.

Are there modifiers to powers (advantages or disadvantages) that modify the cost?

Yes.

What 'comic level' do the characters default to (gritty street vigilantes, X-men, Avengers, Superman)?

There are four power levels, ranging from "normal", heroic, epic, and superhuman. My feeling is that the system works best at the the normal or heroic spectrum, though the other two are playable.