Anyone taken a group thru Magic World Quick Start?

Jae

My intent is to set up a campaign using RQ6 (once I've re-read the rules), but I keep being drawn to Magic World.

I was thinking of taking a non-gaming group through the quick start to get a feel for the system and to expose some interested muggles to the world of table top rpging. So, whadaya think? Am I being too ambitious and better off aiming it at some D&D mates that need to see the light or what?

• Like 1

Magic World is such a simple system to play if the chronicler is ready. I've run some noobs(never tabletop gamed B4) through my Magic World campaign and it was a roaring success. We laughed. We cried. We threw dice at each other. Most importantly, they came back for round 2 a couple weeks later.

As Long as you are prepared I don't think you'll have any problems introducing "muggles " and thanks for introducing new players to the goodness that is BRP! If we don't grow the player/customer base...the terrorists (woTC) wins! :)

• Like 3

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Magic World is such a simple system to play if the chronicler is ready. I've run some noobs(never tabletop gamed B4) through my Magic World campaign and it was a roaring success. We laughed. We cried. We threw dice at each other. Most importantly, they came back for round 2 a couple weeks later.

As Long as you are prepared I don't think you'll have any problems introducing "muggles " and thanks for introducing new players to the goodness that is BRP! If we don't grow the player/customer base...the terrorists (woTC) wins! :)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

You can go the Quick Start route, but honestly, MW RAW is a pretty easy to understand, so if it was me, I'd go with the full rules set rather than the QR.

Cheers, mate! And good luck :-)

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

There is a beginning adventure in the quick start rules set in the Southern Reaches, I'd use the full rulebook and go ahead and play the scenario. I remember we started it but I don't think we ever finished it, so I can't really make any points about the mission itself. It's set in the Southern Reaches (which is the default setting of the main book) so that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

If the adventure is the Fishsinger's Daughter, it's a fun one. Should only take you an evening to play through, if that, so you've got time to make the PCs at the table as well. It's a great intro to the game.

You might also check out the adventure "In Search of the Trollslayer". It's for BRP Core, so needs a little bit of tweaking to play it with Magic World (not much, really). But you could easily use it as a follow-on to Fishsinger's Daughter.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

How would you convert the characters from "In Search of the Trollslayer" to the recommended heroic level? Add 12 points onto their chracteristics or soften the encounters a little?

I ran In Search of the Trollslayer with newly created Magic World characters when MW first came out. I didn't need to change any aspects of the characters for them to survive.