Do THese Rules Appear in the Upcoming BRP?

Mithras

I'm deciding what elements I need in a project that may well become a new Chaosium monograph. Unfortunately, I am still awaiting my Edition Zero, I wondered if a playtester or Jason himself, could tell me if these rules are catered for in the new book. I want to make each of these powerful tools for my game:

Cities as Characters - I touched on Kingdoms as Characters in 'Warlords'; I have a system for independant cities.

Sailing Rules - THose in RQ3 are fine for my purposes, will they be appearing in BRP?

Trade Rules - Other than pinch Bargain, I think I am writing these up from scratch, the economic system I'm using doesn't really match up with anything commonly used, anyway.

Caravan Rules - Loading donkeys, hiring guards, feeding everyone, etc. I also suspect that I will be free to write up these rules!

Mass Battle Rules - Anything will do, the more abstract the better. I suspect I can write these too.

Finally, the running of a company or small business - Again, Im pretty sure that I will have free reign (no pun intended!) to write up this aspect of the gameworld.

What do you think?

Paul Elliott

Warlords of Alexander - Roleplaying in the ruins of Alexander's Empire

Zenobia - Fantasy RPG in the Eastern Roman Empire

Zaibatsu - Fast-play Japanese cyberpunk - Gibson-style

www.geocities.com/mithrapolis/games.html

The good news is that you've got a lot of leeway in things you want to write!

Cities as Characters - I touched on Kingdoms as Characters in 'Warlords'; I have a system for independant cities.

No coverage of this in BRP.

Sailing Rules - THose in RQ3 are fine for my purposes, will they be appearing in BRP?

None here, other than default travel rules and the basic vehicle combat system.

Trade Rules - Other than pinch Bargain, I think I am writing these up from scratch, the economic system I'm using doesn't really match up with anything commonly used, anyway.

Nothing like in BRP.

Caravan Rules - Loading donkeys, hiring guards, feeding everyone, etc. I also suspect that I will be free to write up these rules!

Nothing like it in BRP.

Mass Battle Rules - Anything will do, the more abstract the better. I suspect I can write these too.

There is an abstract system, but a more detailed one would be a welcome addition to the BRP corpus.

Finally, the running of a company or small business - Again, Im pretty sure that I will have free reign (no pun intended!) to write up this aspect of the gameworld.

Completely outside the purview of BRP.

Makes me wonder what the heck I filled all of those pages with...

Don't wonder that! Its full of the essentials.

Its only recently, the last 4 or 5 years that I've developed an interest in developing systems for the control of 'bigger things'. In particular, the PCs representing something, and creating that something themselves.

I started with an Ice Age Tribe, the players actually created it as part of chargen. I can't shake it off.

I have something in mind for mass combat, which will be cool.

Sailing: I'm disappointed that the RQ3 rules are not in BRP, I'm going to have to start writing!!!!! I have lots of primary sources to use, though.

Trading and business rules, I think many GMs just run these things 'on the fly'; but my idea is to run games if not entire campaigns, as trader heroes, merchant adventurers etc. representing their House or City, and they need more substantial rules. Exploration, treasure hunting and monster killing will occur as an adjunct to these more important business affairs!

Still sketching out, creating my synopsis. Thank you, Jason, for that quick heads up.

Paul Elliott

Sailing: I'm disappointed that the RQ3 rules are not in BRP, I'm going to have to start writing!!!!! I have lots of primary sources to use, though.

Have you checked out the Elric supplement Sailing on the Seas of Fate? There are some pretty good ship/sailing rules in there, although my use of them has been limited. I'm not familiar with RQ3's sailing rules, but I thought maybe this would help...

Hmmm, you'll most likely get there before me. When I think of what I'd like to write for BRP, I can't get past a fullsome supplement covering the age of sail.

132/420

Finally, the running of a company or small business...

These are all things I for one would like to see. I've wanted to play a merchant type character for a long time, so these bits sound very interesting.

If you combined it with the Status rules in BRP you have a nice mix for a rags to riches style campaign.

Oh, nothing as elaborate as all that - I'm looking at bronze age sailing and trading. And maybe more trading than sailing, if I stay focussed on Babylonia....

Hmmm, you'll most likely get there before me. When I think of what I'd like to write for BRP, I can't get past a fullsome supplement covering the age of sail.

Paul Elliott

RQ3 Sailing is very similar to those from Sailing on the Seas of Fate (SSF), although SSF has more tables (Disasters and Fumbles). Mongoose RQ develops the RQ3 sailing rules very well and are an improvement, in my opinion, and Pirates has some good ship building rules additions.

You can use ship stats from all four sources pretty much as written and all should be compatible with each set of rules.

As for cities as characters, I liked your rules from Age of Alexander.

HeroQuest goes a step further where everything and anything can have stats and be played as a character, whether it is a city, town, clan, tribe or nation. I've got HeroQuest stats for cities and rivers in Mythic Russia, for instance.

I'd welcome BRP rules for playing cities, clans, tribes and nations. I'd prefer it if similar rules were used for armies as cities so that they could be interlinked. What I'd hate is for an army to besiege/attack a city and have no easy way of resolving the battle. If they had similar rules then resolution would be very simple.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Enlightening, Simon. Rivers as characters? I have Hero Wars - did not upgrade to Hero Quest.

There would an issue with me using RQ3 stats, wouldn't there - that's Avalon Hill territory, but Sailor on the Seas of Fate would be compatible. I'd like compatible, I think Chaosium would too. I'll try to snag that and use it.

RQ3 Sailing is very similar to those from Sailing on the Seas of Fate (SSF), although SSF has more tables (Disasters and Fumbles). Mongoose RQ develops the RQ3 sailing rules very well and are an improvement, in my opinion, and Pirates has some good ship building rules additions.

You can use ship stats from all four sources pretty much as written and all should be compatible with each set of rules.

As for cities as characters, I liked your rules from Age of Alexander.

HeroQuest goes a step further where everything and anything can have stats and be played as a character, whether it is a city, town, clan, tribe or nation. I've got HeroQuest stats for cities and rivers in Mythic Russia, for instance.

I'd welcome BRP rules for playing cities, clans, tribes and nations. I'd prefer it if similar rules were used for armies as cities so that they could be interlinked. What I'd hate is for an army to besiege/attack a city and have no easy way of resolving the battle. If they had similar rules then resolution would be very simple.

Paul Elliott

Seas of Fate, top book! And it really is compatible with RQ3, its all very familiar, and everything is in there with many examples. THanks for the recommendation! I can lift just the sailing and sinking rules, they will do just fine. I'll need new ship stats for bronze age vessels of the Persian Gulf and Mesopotamia.

Paul Elliott