Intro to Nephilim

Nakana

So I bought the Nephilim bundle from Chaosium. (the sale is still going on)

I'm thinking about running something akin to the Prophecy series using it. 

Would anyone care to share their thoughts or anecdotes about the game? I have a vague idea of what the game is like from reading reviews, other than that I'm Jon Snow. 

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Personally, I'd do one of two approaches should I run a Nephilim game these days: 

1. Nephilim-focused: Start at the beginning. Begin with all of the Nephilim in their primeval guises way back in prehistory, and then each session, run a one-shot or limited campaign where the players portray one of their Nephilims' incarnations during that era. If the player isn't present for a session, their Nephilim didn't incarnate during that section. This way, when you reach the modern world, the Nephilim are fully fleshed out, are well in command of their abilities, and have longstanding connections to one another, as well as a variety of dangling plot threads that have followed them throughout time. 
  2. Human-focused: Start at the present, with the human incarnations first and foremost. Let the players roleplay their lives, as they experience strange phenomena and inexplicable events, hinting that they have powers and experiences they do not understand, and memories that they cannot explain... events from history they witnessed firsthand, with astonishing clarity. The humans are all brought together in a support group for people who claim to have experienced past life events. While talking to one another, they begin to slowly realize that they know each other, and that some hidden memory links to a danger... an ancient mystery that threatens them all. After moving things forward, play the prior era incarnations as flashback episodes, with the same rules. If a player is present for the session, they incarnated in that era. 

I'd also ditch many of the Nephilim organizations (the Tarot), and make each Nephilim unique, the last of its kind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I really like #1. Don't have an opinion on the Tarot as I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure exactly how it works. Although, I may end up ditching a fair amount. Seems like many of the reviews sang the tune of "great concept - muddled down by complication". 

Thanks! I really like #1. Don't have an opinion on the Tarot as I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure exactly how it works. Although, I may end up ditching a fair amount. Seems like many of the reviews sang the tune of "great concept - muddled down by complication". 

My bad... they're called the Arcana, and are based on the cards of the major Tarot.

Some folks love the Arcana, but to me they always felt very gimmicky and tacked-on to the setting. In a world of occult conspiracies, it seemed to me that being a Nephilim in and of itself was enough of a distinguishing characteristic, and further sorting them into Tarot-based factions diminished the cohesion of the world and put barriers between the PCs, rather than unifying them. 

• Like 1

I knew what you meant. I just meant I don't know enough about how the factions work to decide if I want to ignore them or not. 

Seems to me that 22 different factions is a bit much. (On top of secret societies for antagonists as well) 

If I were to "group" them into factions, using their dominant Ka seems more logical... And with only 5 a lot more manageable. 

The package came in today so in a day or so I'll be better informed. 

FYI I'm really digging the idea of #1

Edited by Nakana
  • Like 1

I saw the pack on drivethru. Didn't realize it was the PDF. I have the physical copy. Was just being lazy and didn't want to take them apart and scan them. 

The software tool looks promising though... Thanks!

I'm playing in a Nephilim campaign set in Victorian London and we are having a lot of fun. I bought all the books before they went out of print and I have to say that the feel of the game once you have the Gamemasters Companion and The Chronicle of Awakenings is very different to just having the main book. The main book felt like an unfinished game, you could made characters and it gave a bit of background, but no real idea of what kind of game it was. If you decide to play it, make sure you get all the pdfs.

We are using the Arcana in the game. They're not organised groups as such, more just a loose group of Nephilim who have the same ideas about the right way to reach Agartha. So we thought of it like twenty two different approaches (there is also a lot of overlap between some of the Arcana) rather than distinct gangs as such. Also there are not a lot of Nephilim around, you may only meet a few in the course of your game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sacred sentence of science: "I might be wrong: let's find out." - David Brin

My Blog: http://grevsspace.wordpress.com/

I'm not too crazy about the rule of only being able to use one stasis object. Ever. 

What at if you could create another stasis object but only after a very intricate/ elaborate ritual? 

Is there anything like that out there ruleswise?

I'd just make up something where you infuse any object you wish with Solar Ka or something, and become attuned to it.

• Like 1

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

They're physical beings, a person could have Nephilim blood, that needs to be "awakened". You would have the blood of one of the original Nephilim, which are fallen angels that bred with humans. Closer to their biblical origins. I haven't used them this way in game yet, but I will.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just picked up Vul-du-loup and it has it's own, different take on Nephilim.

I just Val-du-Loup actually and it is one the better BRP books in my opinion. With Incorporeal elder gods etc etc. 

They're physical beings, a person could have Nephilim blood, that needs to be "awakened". You would have the blood of one of the original Nephilim, which are fallen angels that bred with humans. Closer to their biblical origins. I haven't used them this way in game yet, but I will.

I'd have them as Kaim that bred with humans passing on a magical virus which causes an instability in their DNA causing mutations or some such.

Edited by rogerd
  • Like 2