Sartar Rising campaign

Mankcam

I know Sartar Rising is not in keeping with the current depiction of Glorantha. The artwork portraying the Orlanthi as 'Celtic-Vikings' is certainly a little wrong now, given the Thracian, Halstatt, Gallic, and Mycenaean influences on current Orlanthi in the more recent Sartar books and the G2G (which I greatly prefer)

However I'm wondering if the content still valid, and the plot able to be used to run a canon campaign?

I have the pdfs of the first two books, but not Gathering Thunder, and wondering if I should buy it to complete the campaign.

Having said that, does Gathering Thunder actually complete the Sartar Rising campaign, or is it left unresolved for subsequent volumes (which may not be ever completed)?

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Gathering Thunder does not complete the Sartar Rising campaign - a fourth book was intended to do this with the Dragon Rise.  What Gathering Thunder does have is a scenario about the raising of the Boat Planet, which isn't that great and has a number of issues with it (Issaries Inc was having problems at the time).  There are other scenarios but they do not seem to be intrinsic to the Sartar Rising campaign, ie they can be run as stand-alone.

Book 1: Barbarian Adventures is fairly basic intro to Orlanthi culture.  I think Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes + Sartar Companion do a much better job getting into a campaign.  The upcoming Red Cows set will also be a much better intro into day-to-day, year-to-year campaign in Sartar.  You can certainly work the scenarios: A Year of Chaos, Blood Feud, and These Women Need Help into any Sartar campaign.

Book 2: Orlanth is Dead marks a very specific event.  It certainly fits into a campaign that straddles 1621 ST.  I'd recommend getting HQ:G though for the outline there that plays out an example of running the Battle of Aurochs Hills. 

Book 3: Gathering Thunder, as Peter noted, is something of a mixed bag.  The New Breathers; Sheep, Clouds, & Thunder; Final Days at Skullpoint; and Orane's Spindle can generally be woven into any Sartarite campaign.  The Other Side of the Dragon fits as a prequel to the Sky Ship, or could be done standalone.  The Sky Ship is a very incomplete scenario/quest, in my mind.  You can get a sense of that reading Mike Dawson's recent discussion on the G+ Glorantha site.  There's a lot more that really should be done to beef it up.

So while Book 3 doesn't 'complete' the campaign, there's stuff you can cycle into a Sartar based campaign.

• Like 1

I have all the other products you have suggested, and I am certainly keeping my eye out for the upcoming Red Cow campaign. However I may end up getting the Gathering Thunder pdf  purely from a completest point of view, and see if there is anything to salvage.

Thank you both for your quick responses, greatly appreciated

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"