Must all Polls Have a Useful Point?

Sorloc

Must all Polls be Topically Relevant and Useful?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Must all Polls be Topically Relevant and Useful?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't Know
    • Don't Care
    • I like pie.

Or can you have a poll just to have a poll?

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

Well, my vote is a pretty safe bet.

People like polls. Voters always way outnumber posters in polls, so it seems something about them attracts people to come on in and click on something, even if they don't post.

Silly polls (and threads for that matter) appeal to some people, and not to others - which is really no different than other topics really - some people want to read about certain settings and others don't. If you don't like them ignore them and move on to topics that interest you.

I find them (silly/light hearted threads and polls) entertaining, and think some others do too. And in the end, being entertained is why I got into gaming in the first place.

And seriously, there ain't that much to talk about until we have more on the game. Covers been done. Schedules been done.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

What I want to know is what kind of pie is it?

That is important information.

Trollkin Pie

Start with 1/2 dz trollkin.

Gut and debone saving heart,lungs, and liver, then chop coarsely.

Reserve intestines for fried lip smackers (cf).

Brown trollkin parts in hot grease. Cool.

Prepare dough, roll out and line 30 liter pan with it.

Mix trollkin with a dz ostrich eggs, and slug cheese. Season with herbs, ground Aldryami are recommended.

Transfer to pie shell, cover, bake.

Serves 6

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

Oh no! I never got to play RQ enough for that. The recipe was done on the fly as it were. Hmmm... does that bring me afoul of anyones IP as it was derivitive or am I covered under parody or humor exemptions?:confused:

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

Oh no! I never got to play RQ enough for that. The recipe was done on the fly as it were. Hmmm... does that bring me afoul of anyones IP as it was derivitive or am I covered under parody or humor exemptions?:confused:

Joseph Paul

You never know with the Issaire's License Policy. We haven't posted all the disclaimers and legal statements on this site, so Greg might just come home to your... :eek:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I think all polls should have a useful point. Just what IS considered a "useful point", however, is open to debate.

Too many meaningless polls tend to stop people from looking at any polls, and then the really important stuff doesn't get a proper or accurate response.

BTW, I believe that the number of votes outnumber posters in a poll can be attributed to the fact that it is faster and easier to click a button then to think up something to type. Polls are the "shooters" of the forums.I wonder if Rurik could do a poll with the same layout as the control pad for the PS2? :rolleyes:

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Atgxtg- "Too many meaningless polls tend to stop people from looking at any polls, and then the really important stuff doesn't get a proper or accurate response."

Unless the pollster is trained in how to frame the questions I am afraid that an accurate response is the only one you won't get. With that in mind I would advise that we just enjoy things for a while, let Rurik have his fun, jump in or ignore as we please, and wait for Triff to post a poll. That will be the important one.

BTW what does atgxtg stand for anyway?

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

Unless the pollster is trained in how to frame the questions I am afraid that an accurate response is the only one you won't get. With that in mind I would advise that we just enjoy things for a while, let Rurik have his fun, jump in or ignore as we please, and wait for Triff to post a poll. That will be the important one.

BTW what does atgxtg stand for anyway?

Joseph Paul

Well, "accurate response" and "poll" is probably an oxymoron. I should have said "enough answers to be statistically significant".

:o atgxtg stands for nothing, or I guess you could say it stands for my frustrration with reginesting internet IDs and remembering passwords. To make a fairly boring story short, years ago I used to use ATG (my intitals) as a log on handle to bulletin boards, Compuserve, etc. XYZ was my password. You can get an idea of how far back it was since 3 character IDs and passwords were still allowed.

Fast forward a few years, and suddenly I needed a net ID with a minimum of SIX characters. I tried various ideas, but they were all taken, and I7d wind up with stuff like Tony4966, or Anthony722. Not easy to remember, not very appealing. I catch enough flack for what I write, I don't want to suffer for what Tony4669 or Tony4696 or some such types. :confused:

Finally, I just got ticked off and used my old handle, ATG, with my old password. But ATGXYZ looked like something the kids would say if my zipper was down. ATGATG somehow looked even dumber. So I went with ATGXTG, and managed to get a unique ID. :)

Of course, then I had to come up with a six character password...:eek:

I kept the weird moniker over the years. People remember it, even if they can't spell it. :D

I suppose I should make up an an acronym, or claim it is the name of an obscure Mayan deity of numbered polyhedrals or some other story. Supposedly the name got used for a character in the Clacking City book, so I could claim that at the source, and see if anyone wonders how I predated the character. :D

I said it was a boring story.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

That has been my reaction to most polls on all forums I have ever been on.

Except this one, because it's about pie. :D

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)