Playing a Summoner character

Whisker89

Hi everybody! it's been a while since the last time I've bothered you with my questions, but seems like it's time to start again :D

I'm currently GMing another 100% rpg-newbies party, 14-15 years old players (felt like it was time to pass the torch!). After a brief but very satisfying run with the AD&D starter set (the first thing I had ready to play that was not Call of Cthulhu... eheheh) they wish to get rid of the pre-made character and make their own. But some of the yungster aren't satisfied (especially the wizard) with the rules, so I proposed to switch to another game... and OpenQuest enters the arena ;)

Now, one of the players wants to play a magic user, especially a summoner. A wizard who calls creatures from other worlds to help him overcome his adventuring problems (mainly of physical nature). And here's where my troubles (or my exagerated worries) start.

There are four summoning spells in the whole manual: the common magic Call Spirit to summon the whole variety of spirits, the divine spells Call Elemental and Call Undead... and then there's the sorcery spell Summon (Otherwordly creature) that I honestly can't really get how it works.

Call Spirit is very useful but it's not what I'm looking for (a spirit can't punch an enemy, or maybe he can if it's a guardian spirit); Call Elemental and Call Undead looks useful but Divine Magic needs you to attend mess everytime you need to regain your spell; Summon (Otherwordly creature) could be the spell I'm looking for, but how does it really works? Do you get to summon anything you want? "one otherworld creature per casting" limits the number of creatures you can summon, but do I have to take a different Summon () spell for every type of creature? what is it's magnitude cost?

Ok, guess I wrote enough to let you understand what my concern is :D

In old RQ, you had to have a different Summon spell for each creature summoned, so Summon Shade, Summon Wraith, Summon Demon were different spells. The reason was that each deity had its own class of beings that it could summon. So, the Archangel Gabriel might grant Summon (Angel) and Beelzebub might grant Summon (Demon), but not vice versa.

I suppose worshipping a deity of Hell might allow Summon (Infernal Creature) which could be used to summon more than one type of being. It's your call as a GM, I suppose, or how hard the player argues for it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 minutes ago, soltakss said:

In old RQ, you had to have a different Summon spell for each creature summoned, so Summon Shade, Summon Wraith, Summon Demon were different spells. The reason was that each deity had its own class of beings that it could summon. So, the Archangel Gabriel might grant Summon (Angel) and Beelzebub might grant Summon (Demon), but not vice versa.

Yep, seems like the proper thing to me... but the spell that really buzzes me is the sorcery one, the one not concerning the gods ;)

Just remembered a couple of things:

• in the OpenQuest 2 manual (that I've got on the other pc and right now I cannot check) there are two more divine spells, Summon Holy Warrior and Summon Holy Steed which works like you just said
  • a discussion similar to this one already happened on the OpenQuest forum hosted by Newt just past the OQ2 crowdfunding, but I can't recall what has been said

The sorcery spells of "Summon", "Contact" or "Call" are all headings which have many other spells that fall under those. Summon Carp, Contact Second Cousin of King Hottentot or Call Ubermensh would be the spells your sorcerer would know not the title names. Hope that helps.

F.Y.I - I love coming up with weird stuff. :-)

If it takes more than 5 minutes to understand, it's not basic.

11 hours ago, charlesvajr said:

Contact Second Cousin of King Hottentot

Seems somewhat limited in use.  Especially if the Second Cousin of King Hottentot were to die.

Which reminds me of an old April Fools issue of Dragon magazine which included the spell, "Drawmij's Instant Death: When this spell is cast, Drawmij, whoever and wherever he may be, instantly dies."

• Like 1

My reading of the Summon OWC in OQ2 is basically this:

You have to know what kind of creatures are available to be summoned; you might want to assign them a magnitude depending on how powerful such a creature might be in your world. Using the OQ2 monsters as an example: Elementals for instant might be rated at Magnitude = (.5)Size. I really just eye ball the Demons, as some appear more powerful than others. So maybe rate them in order of perceived power. 3, 6, 9, 12.

Then the Demon or Elemental or whatever has to make a Persistence roll. If it fails, it will do the bidding of the sorcerer. If not, it won't and might either go home or punch the sorcerer (and his - her friends) in their stupid face! :)  In any case, teaching a new gamer the intricacies of Magnitude, Distance, and Duration might be a lot to take in, unless that is all they player is really doing. Duration and Magnitude are probably the two that would be manipulated the most in regards to Summoning. 

What I might suggest to make this system a lil streamlined:

-Instead of using MP to increase one category (MAG, DUR, DIS) use them to increase them all at the same time

-Instead of a Persistence roll for weaker creatures, just rule that if the Sorcerer has a POW greater than the summoned creature, he or she automatically dominates it. Only if POW is equal or the OWC's POW is greater should you ask for a roll.

If I were building an OQ2 Summoner, I would suggest:

Create Familiar

Dominate (Species) - In case the Persistence roll is needed and succeeds.  Its a second chance to dominate the creature. 

Protective Sphere - Modify this if need to keep out summoned creatures as well as Spirits

Summon Other Worldly Creature, maybe even break this down into specific spells for Demons, Elementals, etc.. 

EDIT: Maybe also Other World Portal. That way you can send the creature back or allow it to leave.

You could also use this is as a RP moment, allowing the sorcerer to negotiate with a summoned creaure

Edited by ReignDragonSMH
  • Like 2

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

9 minutes ago, ReignDragonSMH said:

-Instead of using MP to increase one category (MAG, DUR, DIS) use them to increase them all at the same time

-Instead of a Persistence roll for weaker creatures, just rule that if the Sorcerer has a POW greater than the summoned creature, he or she automatically dominates it. Only if POW is equal or the OWC's POW is greater should you ask for a roll.

If I were building an OQ2 Summoner, I would suggest:

Create Familiar

Dominate (Species) - In case the Persistence roll is needed and succeeds.  Its a second chance to dominate the creature. 

Protective Sphere - Modify this if need to keep out summoned creatures as well as Spirits

Summon Other Worldly Creature, maybe even break this down into specific spells for Demons, Elementals, etc.. 

I really like your idea, and I'm trying to make something similar (=build some kind of templates for different magnitudes). Let's see what I can make in the meantime, or I'll try to get my hand on Crucible of the Dragons (something that I really should do sooner or later). I agree that a generic Summon Otherwordly Creatures would be way too powerful, something that works with categories (demons, elemental beasts, nasty magical animals) would be better suited :)

If anyone has different ideas, keep the posts coming ;)

• Like 1