Wild dice rules

aknaton

What does these wild dice do?:confused:

Check the download to learn more. Maybe?

Or read the almost not shorter version here:

Wild dice

At the start of each session each player gets 5 wild dice (preferably black colored). These dice are percentile dice.

Any percentile roll that the player has made may be augmented by a wild die. If the player wants to use the wild die he rolls it and may substitutes any one of his rolled dice with the wild die. This usually means that he substitutes the rolled tens dice if the wild die is lower. That wild die is then used up and should be returned to the referee. If the player isn't satisfied with the result of his first wild die he may roll another one until he is satisfied or has used up all his dice. These following wild dice is used against the best result the player got after the previous rolled wild dice.

Example: Jehebakk must desperately kill a grumpy troll in a fight. He rolls 42 and it is above his measly skill with his sword of 38. He rolls his first wild die and gets a 3. He substitutes his tens number with this result and now has 32. He now returns the wild die to the referee. His roll is now a hit but he feels that this isn't enough. He rolls another wild die and gets a 0. This means that he now has 02. A critical hit (at least according to RQIII)! Jehebakk kills the troll with his mighty blow. Jehebakks player now returns the second used wild die and sighs with relief as his character lives to fight another day.

When a player has used up all his wild dice for that session he doesn't get any new until the next session. Unspent wild dice may be traded for skill check marks at the end of the session.

Monsters and NPC's don't get wild dice.

I like this idea. It depends on the game though, as it would seem out of place in a CoC game, but right at home in a Superworld campaign.

It might even be more fun to limit the players to one 'wild die' each, as the agonizing over WHEN to use it would be... amusing. :D

I like the idea, a lot. These wild dice could be used as a control for the "power level" of a game, similar to the Fuzion...

For 0 dice, it will be a very street level game, to 3 dice for a cinematic, to 5 for a superworld campaign.

Very nice.

I tried to download the file, but XML files aren't working to well for me lately, so this is just based on what you wrote in the thread.

-STS

I tried to download the file, but XML files aren't working to well for me lately, so this is just based on what you wrote in the thread.

The only other thing in the document is a probability table. Which says something like you have the probability of 19% to roll 10 or lower with one wild die and roughly 75% chance to roll 50 or lower.

Well, nice idea and very useful.

But I think I would prefer "the expenditure of POW for narrative control", as Harshax wrote, and as sladethesniper wrote it could be a way to level an adventure/campaign or the players chanses. The only way I would use it in my campaign, would be to have the amusment as ORtrail wrote..."WHEN to use it".

Thx again for the clearification Aknaton.;)

I'll have to check it out, seems very interesting at first glance to me. Thanks for adding it to the file section aknaton!:thumb:

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

The idea's intriguing. I'll have to give it shot in my next gaming session.

The one thing I'd end up dropping in my game, though, is the the fact that unused dice can be traded for skill checks at the end of the session. I'd see Wild Dice as forcing the players into more of a 'use it or lose it' situation. This of course, may come from 15 years of running Call of Cthulhu games where it's my job to make the investigators fight for every little bit of survival they can...