Somewhere to store nuggets of gold

peterb

From time to time a post or a thread on this forum (and lately on the RQ mailing list) contains nuggets of gold. It would be nice to have some organized way of storing those nuggets, otherwise it's a real risk that the same good ideas are rehashed over and over because the older posts get lost in the ever growing pile of information.

One way would of course be to create a sticky thread where people could list the best posts and threads or (if such a plugin exists) one could allow readers to rank a posts utility and ideally all posts with a high utility rank would be accessible or searchable because of it.

Another way would be to create a sub-forum for spot rules. It would be good to standardize the layout of such posts and one would ideally want to be able to categorize the rules.

What do you think? Would it be useful? Is it doable?

Peter Brink

From time to time a post or a thread on this forum (and lately on the RQ mailing list) contains nuggets of gold. It would be nice to have some organized way of storing those nuggets, otherwise it's a real risk that the same good ideas are rehashed over and over because the older posts get lost in the ever growing pile of information.

Absolutely. It's difficult to search through the forums if you misremember a keyword, as I have found.

One way would of course be to create a sticky thread where people could list the best posts and threads or (if such a plugin exists) one could allow readers to rank a posts utility and ideally all posts with a high utility rank would be accessible or searchable because of it.

A sticky with a number of links to other threads would be perfect for book-marking interesting nuggets.

Another way would be to create a sub-forum for spot rules. It would be good to standardize the layout of such posts and one would ideally want to be able to categorize the rules.

A standardised layout, updateable, easy to organise, full of spot rules. Isn't that a Wiki? Where would be find a BRP Wiki?

What do you think? Would it be useful? Is it doable?

A sticky thread is doable. The Wiki is very doable. All it needs is for someone to trawl through the forums and pull out what they see as useful ideas.

Alternatively, people could bookmark ideas as they go along.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Isn't that what the Wiki is for? I think you can just add stuff already... if not, I'm sure Sverre will sort it out... :-)

Good idea, though. Gather them nuggets!

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

:) Well, sometimes it's just in front of you, and yet you can't see it...

The wiki would of course be a perfect place to store new spot rules.

As it happens the producers of the NuWiki plugin (that Sverrer already has in place) also produces a "digg" plugin (nuHIT.com - NuRatings Features) that enables posters to rate other posts and threads... It's not free however...

Peter Brink

:) Well, sometimes it's just in front of you, and yet you can't see it...

The wiki would of course be a perfect place to store new spot rules.

The wiki has suffered from some neglect on my part. I have week 25 off and will work on the site then. I'll update the vBulletin version, but will also try to get around to organize the wiki.

As it happens the producers of the NuWiki plugin (that Sverrer already has in place) also produces a "digg" plugin nuHIT.com - NuRatings Features) that enables posters to rate other posts and threads... It's not free however...

It's also no longer supported as the developer have dropped from the site and doesn't answer any messages. I'm curious if the wiki will survive the update to the new vBulletin version. :confused:

SGL.

I did a quick search for alternatives to NuWiki but none sems to have so good integration with vbulletin as NuWiki does.

Unfortunately NuWiki does not support templates in the same way as many other wikis do. In NuWiki a template is a way of inserting fixed pieces of text in a page, in other wikis a template is used to pre-format a page. In the later case when a page is created in, for example, the "Spot Rules" category the new page is based on a template, it's a bit like a form.

There is however a forms plugin available for vbulletin. One could set up a subforum for all Spot Rules and then people could post their rules there modifying the original post based on whatever comments they get.

Peter Brink

Hmm... I will see how the wiki fares after we upgrade to vBulletin 3.7. With some better organization it could work well for houserules. We'll see. basicroleplaying.net is an alternative, but progress there have been slow lately.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.