BRP/d100 as a level-based game

auyl

Guest Vile Traveller

I've converted plenty of level-based games to D100, never been tempted to do so the other way around. I have someone's AD&D2 to RQ3 conversion notes in the downloads section: 

IIRC there was an article on introducing character classes to RuneQuest in an old White Dwarf. 

Probably just develop Archetype/Classes. Then ignore Skill Checks based on use, and work out how you want to do Levelling - either EXP based or milestone based.

Then at each Level Up grant a number of Improvement Rolls (like the MRQ line of BRP), and these are made like normal Skill Checks, however rank skill preferences according to archetype/class. Perhaps rank them as Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary/Other skills, and if the PCs make a successful skill check then they get to roll a different dice for skill % gain: Primary (1d8%), Secondary (1d6%), Tertiary (1D4%). Perhaps grant a Feat/Talent or Characteristic Gain every 3rd level.

It's a bit of an unusual query, as most people choose to translate from Level Based games rather than the other way around. If it was the later, I'ld just recommend getting the Basic Fantasy book.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I'd actually raise the core/primary skills -- not just give a "check" -- every level-up.  Secondary Skills would get a bump every other level; tertiary skills every third level.  'Cos if you're gonna go level-based, might as well go all-in!  It would eliminate the oddities of successive bad-luck rolls (vs someone in the same campaign who'd had a bunch of good rolls) on skill-checks.

I would probably allow some extra bumps, too, for people to customize a bit.

Note that this mechanic is ENTIRELY separate from a "class" system!  You COULD define "classes" (and skills for each class), but you could instead retain the free-form "I have the exact skill-mix that suits my character / concept / background / etc" that RQ / BRP has, if you permitted each player to define their own suite of (for example) 2Primary / 3Secondary / 5Tertiary skills..

FWIW, I haven't looked at "Classic Fantasy" but it's probably worth looking at, for your question!  My sense is that it implements "classes" but does NOT implement "levels," so (if I'm correct) it's exactly the opposite of what I advocate for your question!  But by all accounts it's well worth getting, and will probably have content relevant to your question...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Classic Fantasy has both classes and levels (ranks). Rod Leary, the author, will, no doubt, drop by to discuss, but Classic Fantasy is very much a way of emulating the class/level system alongside d100 mechanics.

I got the download of Mythras Classic Fantasy and have only skimmed it (I love pdfs for novels or quick-reference, but my brain only remembers rules from print copies for some reason). If I'd remembered Rod had also put in Ranks/Levels I would have just referred Auyl to Classic Fantasy and be done with it!

Ok Auyl, disregard my previous post and check out Rod's rules

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

One thing I was thinking when reading Classic Fantasy, is you could probably, without using Classic Fantasy, just use the basic and professional skills listed for careers as your "class" skill sets which either go up automatically, or, as Mankam mentioned, increase with a higher die roll when you spend experience rolls on those skills versus the non-class skills.