New Campaign to be published: Children of Fear

Mankcam

I just stumbled across this today, and it looks hot of the press - wow, this looks absolutely great!

http://www.chaosium.com/blog/lynne-hardy-to-write-new-call-of-cthulhu-campaign-children-of-fear/

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Judging from the art, I would guess somewhere from northern India and the Himalayas over to central China and Cambodia. Although I usually think of Central Asia as the "stans"--Kazakhstan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan.

This might be useful:

http://omniatlas.com/maps/southasia/19241013/

http://omniatlas.com/maps/russia/19200103/

You can change the dates with the drop-down menu. 

Some interesting stuff:

1920: Soviet revolutionaries take over the Khanate of Khiva and the Emirate of Bukhara.

1921: Reza Khan stages a coup d'etat, becoming the effective ruler of Iran. In 1925 he officially deposes Ahmad Shah. 

1923: Nepal signs independence treaty with British Empire.

1928: Persia occupies Western Baluchistan with assistance from British. 

Yeah I'm speculating it'll be more the Orient of Central and Eastern Asia, from the Himalayas through to the Chinese and Vietnamese coastline, and down across the straits into the Javanese regions.

That's a fairly big region, but I doubt it is referring to the other side with India, Pakistan, or up to the Middle East and Near East. 

Kicking things off in a 1920s/1930s Shanghai or French Saigon could be very pulpy, and then moving things into the steaming jungles of the interior. I'm thinking this could easily lead the investigators into Thailand and down into Singapore and Malaysia. An exotic hot bed of culture clash and dark mysteries, I am looking forward to this!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 4 months later...

I have always hoped Chaosium would produce a supplement for the Plateau of Leng.  The C'thulhu Tibet suplement got me excited, but little Leng indeed.  If Children of Fear has the party going to Leng I will be very excited.  As it is Children of Fear sounds very promising.  Central Asia in the 1920s is a bad and wild place.

Indiana Jones territory :-). Lots of interesting things happening during that period, the British Empire reached its greatest extent in the 1920s, the post WW2 collapse was still in the future - though Britain was facing increasing challenges from imperial Japan and the United States, and rocked by rising independence movements. Russia and China were in poor shape, though who knows - the new Soviet government may have had some interest in British dominions. Germany was in chaos in the 1920s, mostly inward looking, Hitler didn't arrive until the 30s. Prior to the great Wall Street Crash of 1929, America and to a lesser extent other Western countries were in a state of economic exuberance, lots of cheap money sloshing around financing all manner of ill considered projects. 

Who knows what hideous survivals of the pre-human past took advantage of the raucous disorder, to feast on the vulnerable?

Edited by EricW
Mention Wall Street
  • Like 2