Beautiful Books

jimofpeace

I live in Pittsburg, California and just bought my copies of the Keeper Screen, Keeper Rulebook, and Investigator Handbook.  These are very amazing and beautiful books!  My friendly, local game store had copies in on August, 23.  Please keep up the great work, Chaosium.  You guys rock!!!

• Like 3

Nothing against beautiful books but they seem to be a bit of a fetish in some gaming circles... with people turning up their noses as games with less elaborate art and layout. It's great for the readers/collectors... but is seldom applicable in play. I suspect that sometimes the praise for a new game has more to do with its appearance than how it actually plays.
It seems odd to me that, in some circles, games now seem to require full color hardbacks to be taken seriously.

Not saying that the new COC books fall into this trap... but a lot of the 'squeee!' energy I've seen over them seems primarily over how they look (and I'd agree that COC 6e was a mess visually).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Simlasa said:

people turning up their noses as games with less elaborate art and layout

fwiw: I am overjoyed with my faux-leather book covers, which are very minimalistic. Also, the "A Time to Harvest" organized-play adventures have un-elaborate art and layout, but have been well received. Same with the D&D organized play adventures.

Still, art (and production values) are things. People acknowledge and appreciate effort put into them. I personally appreciate more pragmatic aspects, like the usability of the layout and artwork.

Edited by mvincent
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, if you want to really compete on Game Store shelves you have to go with full color layout and hardcover format.

Yes, the writing/content is most important, but art, editing, and layout all have an important part to play in the book appealing to the buying public. Which would you think you would be more likely to buy? The color book is $5 more.  This is "Doors to Darkness". The written content is the same.

2016-06-09 13.01.03.jpg

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

1 hour ago, Simlasa said:

Nothing against beautiful books but they seem to be a bit of a fetish in some gaming circles... with people turning up their noses as games with less elaborate art and layout. It's great for the readers/collectors... but is seldom applicable in play. I suspect that sometimes the praise for a new game has more to do with its appearance than how it actually plays.
It seems odd to me that, in some circles, games now seem to require full color hardbacks to be taken seriously.

Not saying that the new COC books fall into this trap... but a lot of the 'squeee!' energy I've seen over them seems primarily over how they look (and I'd agree that COC 6e was a mess visually).

I've noticed that some gamers purchase two copies of books they are really interested in - one for the bookshelf and one for the gaming table.

59 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Which would you think you would be more likely to buy? The color book is $5 more.  This is "Doors to Darkness". The written content is the same.

Truthfully, the B&W appeals to me more in that instance. I'm not saying I don't like game art, or sturdy rulebooks, but if I want to look at atmospheric pictures for inspiration I'm more likely to go hunting on Pinterest.

I know they're what sells... but I think it edges out creative folks without the means to produce stuff at that level... no matter how brilliant their actual content might be. I guess I see it as a regrettable trend.

1 hour ago, Prime Evil said:

I've noticed that some gamers purchase two copies of books they are really interested in - one for the bookshelf and one for the gaming table.

This is what I usually do.  Sometimes three of four copies so I have some I can loan out to friends to get an idea on how to make characters and the rules system.

1 minute ago, jimofpeace said:

This is what I usually do.  Sometimes three of four copies so I have some I can loan out to friends to get an idea on how to make characters and the rules system.

I'd love to have three or four copies of the Guide to Glorantha. Now...about that second mortgage.... :P