New to brp systems and looking for a "module" to fit my next campaign

sharky

Let me start by saying im not entirely sure if this is where I should post this. 

Been dming for about 2 years and currently running a pathfinder campaign. Im wanting to use the brp system for my next campaign but im not sure where to start. It is a homebrew.

Setting: In short were on a "desert" planet very dry very sandy lots of western themes here. There will be alot of Coal powered things almost a steampunky vibe. Airships will be a thing or something close to them probably blimps. Low tech guns like revolvers, lever action rifles etc.  Now where its going to get a little complicated probably is I want to throw in a very small amount of magic. I thinking in the form of gems that can power scifi like weapons and vehicles. Rifles that can have fire or lightning effects, or faster ships. maybe power cities or have the ability to create water and such.

Just looking for some resources to use here. Anything would help. :)

In mongoose RQ1 they had spells tied to a physical rune stone. What spells you had access to depended on what rune your stone was tied to. You could just change the runes to match a type of crystal and your good to go. I think you can download the mrq1 SRD on this site. You can also make the crystals the only source for magic points. The size and quality can determine the amount of magic points. At this point I would call them power points. Spells and machines can be powered by them. An air crystal could power an airship and it's lightning cannon, but it would be massive and rare. 

Sounds like a cool campaign, let us know how it pans out.

Miles

36 minutes ago, Vexthug said:

In mongoose RQ1 they had spells tied to a physical rune stone. What spells you had access to depended on what rune your stone was tied to. You could just change the runes to match a type of crystal and your good to go. I think you can download the mrq1 SRD on this site. You can also make the crystals the only source for magic points. The size and quality can determine the amount of magic points. At this point I would call them power points. Spells and machines can be powered by them. An air crystal could power an airship and it's lightning cannon, but it would be massive and rare. 

Sounds like a cool campaign, let us know how it pans out.

Miles

Sweet yes thats the kinda idea I was going for! Crystals of different types would have different uses and different sized to power bigger and better things! I'll look into that as well as Devils gultch.

On 12/09/2016 at 0:17 AM, sharky said:

Sweet yes thats the kinda idea I was going for! Crystals of different types would have different uses and different sized to power bigger and better things! I'll look into that as well as Devils gultch.

Rules for such cristals already exist for Chaosium's RuneQuest 1, 2 and 3 (which all precede Mongoose's RuneQuest 1) without the need to tinker with MRQ1 rules.

RQ1 and 2 can be found on drivethrurpg. RQ3 rules for crystals only exist in the "Elder Secrets" supplement.

From my memory, crystals has a POW value, and can be of one of 3 types:

-Storage crystals hold extra magic points.

-Spell crystals grant their users use of spells.

-Enhancement crystals double the effect of the MP spent to cast a spell, up to their POW. So, if a caster casts a Sharpblade 2 spell and has a Sharpblade 3 enhancement crystal, his spell will be treated as a Sharpblade 4 spell (2, doubled by the crystal). If he now casts a Sharpblade 5 spell, the crystal will only add 3 (its POW) to the spell's.

Good POW values are between 4 and 8 for storage crystals, and 1 to 6 for the others.

I'd also use OpenQuest 2 SRD rather than MRQ1, and use Battle Magic as a base. MRQ1 uses 1 skill for each rune, which is rather cumbersome.

http://openquest.d101games.com/openquest-srd/

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mugen said:

Rules for such cristals already exist for Chaosium's RuneQuest 1, 2 and 3 (which all precede Mongoose's RuneQuest 1) without the need to tinker with MRQ1 rules.

RQ1 and 2 can be found on drivethrurpg. RQ3 rules for crystals only exist in the "Elder Secrets" supplement.

-Enhancement crystals double the effect of the MP spent to cast a spell, up to their POW. So, if a caster casts a Sharpblade 2 spell and has a Sharpblade 3 enhancement crystal, his spell will be treated as a Sharpblade 4 spell (2, doubled by the crystal). If he now casts a Sharpblade 5 spell, the crystal will only add 3 (its POW) to the spell's.

Good POW values are between 4 and 8 for storage crystals, and 1 to 6 for the others.

I'd also use OpenQuest 2 SRD rather than MRQ1, and use Battle Magic as a base. MRQ1 uses 1 skill for each rune, which is rather cumbersome.

What MRQ1 does is tie the spells physically to a rune stone and you can't use a spell not connected to the rune. Which seems closer to the power crystal concept that the op was thinking. You can't use powers without crystals, if I understanding him correctly. My suggestion was for inspiration not crunch. Using the BGB will be more than sufficient for doing what he wants with his game. How much power points a crystal would have will depend on the power level of his game. For a low power game 2-6 PP for an epic power game 20-60 PP. So I might apply the power crystal concept with the super powers rules , then maybe make a power crystal skill to use them. 

I think Jim Butchers new steam punk novel uses a similar concept for his tech. I vaguely remember a book by R.A. Salvatore that did the same thing.

But to the OP everything you need to make this game happen crunch wise is in the BGB , you just have to reflavor some of the powers to suit your campaign.

Miles

On 9/17/2016 at 4:56 AM, Mugen said:

Appreciate the replies on all this, checking all this stuff out as soon as I get the time. When I have more of a solid idea/system in place ill come back and share it with everyone!