Older quotation appearing in new post?

g33k

Hi!

I'm seeing a weird effect, where if I quote someone to reply, then don't actually submit that reply... I cannot later escape from that quote.

For example:  suppose I'm mid-reply but gotta run, & cannot get back to BRPCentral for a day or two; the discussion has completely moved on in ways that make my old point irrelevant... but that quote I had originally made shows up -- un-deleteably! -- every time I try to re-join the conversation.

Similarly if I just do a "stop to think" before posting, and decide NOT to post... then later come to say something ELSE:  there's my old decision staring me in the face, and I can edit within the quoted-post but not actually delete it.

Edit:  also -- when the above is happening, if I edit down a large post to highlight the one bit I wanted to address, I often then cannot "select" (click to place cursor) outside the "inside quotation" box), so my text appears as PART OF the quotation; there APPEARS (from onscreen placement of elements) to be a place to put the cursor, but that space won't accept click-to-higlight.  I find that -- so long as I BEGIN writing, so I have a place to return to -- I can then edit-down the quote, and continue writing my reply; that's a workaround for THIS part of the problem, but not for the larger issue.

Edit 2 : lest it seem like litany-of-complaints... I'm trying for a full description, so those who who have Forum Illumination might better guide me out of the darkness...

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

OK, I have a solution; it works for my own keyboard/OS (currently a chromebook -- my new computer is still mid-config, and I'm not going online with it til I finish AV & FW configs, and make sure all the open ports into the OS are closed down (tho I'm wondering if there's actually a point, as it's F'ing Win10 and forced-updates + associated reconfig's are now A Thing ) ) .

But on to my solution:  CTRL+ALT+click brings up a menu, that allows removing the undesired quotation(s).

Can you find the same on yours, Mankcam?

C'es ne pas un .sig

I found that this happened when I starting to quote something in a thread, then closed the thread without posting, BRP central seems to remember the quoted post and I didn't know how to stop it. Hopefully the CTRL-ALT-Click solution works.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 20.9.2016 at 2:38 AM, g33k said:

Hi!

I'm seeing a weird effect, where if I quote someone to reply, then don't actually submit that reply... I cannot later escape from that quote.

For example:  suppose I'm mid-reply but gotta run, & cannot get back to BRPCentral for a day or two; the discussion has completely moved on in ways that make my old point irrelevant... but that quote I had originally made shows up -- un-deleteably! -- every time I try to re-join the conversation.

Similarly if I just do a "stop to think" before posting, and decide NOT to post... then later come to say something ELSE:  there's my old decision staring me in the face, and I can edit within the quoted-post but not actually delete it.

Edit:  also -- when the above is happening, if I edit down a large post to highlight the one bit I wanted to address, I often then cannot "select" (click to place cursor) outside the "inside quotation" box), so my text appears as PART OF the quotation; there APPEARS (from onscreen placement of elements) to be a place to put the cursor, but that space won't accept click-to-higlight.  I find that -- so long as I BEGIN writing, so I have a place to return to -- I can then edit-down the quote, and continue writing my reply; that's a workaround for THIS part of the problem, but not for the larger issue.

Hmm... I've tried to reproduce the problems. The quotes reappear for me too, but can easily be deleted. The second problem I'm not able to reproduce at all. What browser did you use when you encounter this?

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

1 hour ago, Trifletraxor said:

Hmm... I've tried to reproduce the problems. The quotes reappear for me too, but can easily be deleted. The second problem I'm not able to reproduce at all. What browser did you use when you encounter this?

As I report downthread, I've found the delete-mechanism.  It appears to be the "correct" one, it just wasn't (at all!) clear how to get there:  I expected to be able to highlight-and-delete, so the custom mouse-menu was unexpected (and inobvious)!

The other issue appears when using a "Chromebook" running ChromeOS, but I am not seeing it -- I just tested on my new computer -- running Chrome (browser) under Win10.  I will attempt a side-by-side test later, and report the results...

C'es ne pas un .sig

21 hours ago, g33k said:

As I report downthread, I've found the delete-mechanism.  It appears to be the "correct" one, it just wasn't (at all!) clear how to get there:  I expected to be able to highlight-and-delete, so the custom mouse-menu was unexpected (and inobvious)!

The other issue appears when using a "Chromebook" running ChromeOS, but I am not seeing it -- I just tested on my new computer -- running Chrome (browser) under Win10.  I will attempt a side-by-side test later, and report the results...

The Ctrl+Alt-click is certainly inobvious, wasn't aware of it myself. I've been deleting quotes by clicking the top gray border or the "click and drag to move"-symbol that appears in the upper left corner, and then pressing delete. Marking it and then trying to delete doesn't work as you say.

Second point might seem to be a problem with ChromeOS and the forum software then. Later software update will hopefully fix it.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 2 weeks later...

Happens to me more when I'm using a mobile device to access the forum.

My main mobile device for net surfing is my tablet, an iPad Mini, although I also occasionally use my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy Mini.

Drives me crazy at times

I haven't noticed too many issues when using my desktop PC (which uses MIcrosoft Windows 10), but I don't turn on my desktop more than once or twice a week these days.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"