[M-SPACE] 5-Star Review on RPG.net

clarence

And well deserved Clarence, I finally got my copy in the mail and have just yesterday started reading it. Fantastic job, you should be proud.

On a side note, can you describe an X-Fighter and a T-Fighter so I can better visualize them? And What's a Falcon? ;)

Love it. Well done.

Rod

• Like 2

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Yes, shameless infringement right?  : )

I'm thinking more and more that Star Wars is for sci-fi what Tolkien is for fantasy. It's such a widespread reference that you don't have to explain anything about it. Makes life a little easier for RPG players & writers...

• Like 2

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

Of course, SW in RPG'dom then more-or-less-inevitably becomes the infinintely-copied (and most-often, BADLY copied) or minimally-varied norm.  It becomes almost "fashionable" to despise all the derived works, and even the interesting & high-quality ones become tarred with the same "oh, another bad copy of..." brush.

I still remember a few years ago -- before the Peter Jackson movies -- when I was talking to a youngster who had read several LOTR-derived series and THEN they read LOTR... and they were complaining about how "Tolkien had copied soooo muuuuch"  :huh:

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, g33k said:

Of course, SW in RPG'dom then more-or-less-inevitably becomes the infinintely-copied (and most-often, BADLY copied) or minimally-varied norm.  It becomes almost "fashionable" to despise all the derived works, and even the interesting & high-quality ones become tarred with the same "oh, another bad copy of..." brush.

Yes, there's always that struggle in cultural production: finding the perfect mix between the all-new and the habitual. There's of course not one solution to this, as players are everything from casual consumers to prosumers to professionals. Perhaps RPGs need to go the "casual consumer" path quite a lot? They are after all completely dependent on the player's ability to envision a setting/world/scene, and falling back on common ideas makes that easier. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

5 hours ago, clarence said:

Yes, there's always that struggle in cultural production: finding the perfect mix between the all-new and the habitual. There's of course not one solution to this, as players are everything from casual consumers to prosumers to professionals. Perhaps RPGs need to go the "casual consumer" path quite a lot? They are after all completely dependent on the player's ability to envision a setting/world/scene, and falling back on common ideas makes that easier. 

My experience is that local variation is... kinda large.  Where I live, for example, Warhammer (the mini's game) seems to be dominant -- to judge from the nearest FLGS, and talking to them about what they stock / what sells / etc (WH rpg is... miniscule there).  The next-nearest FLGS has much more RPG's than WH stuff, but generally they too do a brisk trade in mini's / wargames...

Personally, I'm quite QUITE tired of D&D's semi-Tolkienesque pastiche, but prefer it to no gaming; so when that's what's available, that's what I play...

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig