Riposte in Magic World

thefub

I have searched for riposte rules and only found the rules from the BRP rulebook. The Magic World book has rules on when you can riposte but has no mention of what % of the skill is used. 

Here is an example of a character with sword and shield: Sword 82% Shield 55%

Would the riposte be at the full 55% of the shield? If you switch those numbers to Sword 55% and Shield 82%; would the sword be at 55% even if you attacked once in a round?

The Riposte uses the weapon or shield that did not parry.  In the example you give, if the character parried with their shield, they would riposte with the sword. Based on the wording, which makes it clear (ish) that this attack does not in any way affect or is affected by DEX SR etc.. I would suggest there is no reason to think that there is any penalty to the riposte attack. It is the reward for that critical parry. 

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

13 hours ago, thefub said:

I have searched for riposte rules and only found the rules from the BRP rulebook. The Magic World book has rules on when you can riposte but has no mention of what % of the skill is used. 

Here is an example of a character with sword and shield: Sword 82% Shield 55%

Would the riposte be at the full 55% of the shield? If you switch those numbers to Sword 55% and Shield 82%; would the sword be at 55% even if you attacked once in a round?

No - assuming the the shield was the weapon parried with, the riposte attack HAS to be with the OTHER weapon:

Not more than once in a round per combatant, a critical parry al- lows a riposte to made with the weapon (or shield) that didn’t parry.

So, assuming no attack this round with the Sword, at 82%. If the character has ALREADY attacked this round, I would rule the riposte would be at 52% personally, but that's because I largely default to Jason's version of the rule he intended for the BRP BGB - see here:

Nick

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NickMiddleton said:

So, assuming no attack this round with the Sword, at 82%. If the character has ALREADY attacked this round, I would rule the riposte would be at 52% personally, but that's because I largely default to Jason's version of the rule he intended for the BRP BGB - see here:

That seems to make sense, even though in my mind that is a lot of penalties to keep track of. Still if you are using the system like that, then definitely the riposte (or a subsequent attack) should be reduced in effectiveness. 

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I read people discussing dodge and when and why it might be of benefit, such as for elves, to use over parry. People seemed to have issues with it in comparison to parry.

To help, I'd allow a special or critical dodge to create a riposte opportunity...only, naturally, you can now use the primary weapon. Therefore, even if armed with just a sword, a special dodge would allow a riposte. No more does the shield or two-handed weapon user have sole enjoyment of the counterattack!

Another issue on dodges (in the realm of ripostes and defence!), is that Magic World seems vague as to whether a parry followed by a dodge results in the dodge having a minus 30% to its roll. I was initially going to split them as independent, each with their own reductions on multiple use, when I read some of the issues people had around dodge being somewhat neglected. But then I felt there was maybe a workaround. I think, that as a parry can't be used twice against a single attack, naturally, and to make dodge of more importance, a dodge (full percentile) followed by a parry (- 30%) could be used on a single attack. So, two lines of defence. But, importantly, NOT a parry followed by a dodge. The reason is you can move and then interpose, if moving wasn't enough, but if you fail to interpose, you get hit. 

So in brief, dodge can allow a single-weapon user to riposte/counterattack AND can be used prior to parry against a single attack, but the following parry suffers the -30. This makes dodge of importance in the combat economy along with parry as, I think, it should be. A persom of 40% dodge and 70% parry could parry for 70%, or they could both dodge and then parry at 40%. Dodge, too, can suffer armour penalties, I believe, so now no armour warriors can get some benefit from the 'fast and natural' style. 

Any thoughts? This is mainly around the whole issue of defence, including ripostes. I'm sure about my own use of dodging allowing a riposte as good for my game, but I'm less certain, without testing, of the two lines of defence idea.

Nikoli

Edit: If the attacker gets a special and the defender gets a normal successful dodge, there are maybe two options: allow the subsequent parry to futher reduce the attack value to a normal failure. I.e., if a critical attack was rolled, a successful dodge would make it special and then a successful parry would make it a normal success. Or, secondly, and maybe better as it's less powerful, do an independant dodge and parry and take the best of the two, assuming the player doesn't accept the first dodge roll as sufficient. So if the dodge reduced an attack to special, but the parry was a special and reduced it to a normal success, the player can take the parry result as it was better. That seems much better than the first option, which is too powerful in combination.

Edited by Nikoli

I don't allow more than one defence against a single attack (so you have to pick whether to Dodge or Parry, no second chances); but I allow multiple defences in a round and simply apply the -30 cumulative penalty to each subsequent defence (Parry once and then dodge, then parry again and the second parry is at -60 etc). I also allow a "counter strike" for special or critical Dodge.

Generally, I try to go for simplicity of book keeping and fluidity in play.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 4