Knocking down in a door

Jarulf

I'm still working with the RQ3 rules, and really rusty GMering.

My players are likely to want to go through an interior reinforced heavy wooden door in a couple of days, and they will no doubt want to do it as violently as possible..

There's wooden beams around they could use as makeshift rams, but how much damage would they do? 2D8 plus DB perhaps. There's only room for one person to hold it unless they rig something (I'll let them if its fun).

Hey jarulf!

I would strongly encourage you to go here and pick up the BRP system. There is a lot to recommend to it.

On p.276 of the BRP rules you'd find information on objects from ballpoint pens to the Eiffel Tower. Ok, maybe not that detailed, but you get the point. :lol:

In you case, I imagine it's a large door (SIZ 4-8) with 6 points of AP. A simple guideline for destroying an object is that an average object has HP roughly equivalent to its SIZ. Once armor has bypassed and these HP are lost, the object is nonfunctional/destroyed.

If they don't have the right tools to chop down a down a door or the wrong kind of weapon (not an Axe or Hammer), I would say it just doesn't work and they damage their weapons somehow.

If the door is that tough and space permits, maybe they can use those beams, get some rope, and batter it down? For logic's sake, let me ask you, if they can barely fit two abreast in the passageway, how the heck did that door get there in the first place :P ? You need space to build and install a reinforced door. Let two or three of them work together.

For damage, I'd assign the same for Sledge Hammer (2D6+2+db of the characters working together).

Also, fire does wonders to weakening wood, but if they're underground or in an enclosed environment, that may not be such a great idea, though I imagine they could just stack the beams, set them on fire, and wait it out safely outside until the fire burns out.

Edited by FunGuyFromYuggoth

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

For logic's sake, let me ask you, if they can barely fit two abreast in the passageway, how the heck did that door get there in the first place :P ?
Clearly it was installed from the other side, where the dragon is sleeping in the huge cavern & there was plenty of room to work. ;)

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I'm still working with the RQ3 rules, and really rusty GMering.

My players are likely to want to go through an interior reinforced heavy wooden door in a couple of days, and they will no doubt want to do it as violently as possible..

There's wooden beams around they could use as makeshift rams, but how much damage would they do? 2D8 plus DB perhaps. There's only room for one person to hold it unless they rig something (I'll let them if its fun).

Hi Jarulf, I just sent you a private message, in case your like me and never notice them.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I will indeed get my grubby hands on BRP once I can find it here in Sweden. My FLGS is neither terribly Fine, Local (or Cheap) and the on-line place I often buy at lists it as out of stock.:(

P&P from the US is a bit steep for me, and I'm not enamoured of PDFs of this size. I want to curl up on couch and flip through the thing. I want the smell of New Book in the morning.

Thanks for the tips. As was suggested above, the door is indeed fitted from the other side (I'm working from a floorplan not of my own design here) where there is room enough. It is at the end of a corridor, your traditional D&D one square wide corridor at that, and I thought that would be a bit narrow for two persons to swing a thick beam or log between them.

No dragon though, not behind the door. One of the PCs has a pet dragon though, a small one (which I keep forgetting about). :P

There is a demon upstairs though, but that'd fit through most doors.

Yes, this is a dungeon crawl. I like dungeon crawls and my 10 year old player mainly wants to hit things. :thumb:

RQ 3 is fine for this sort of thing. IIRQ the structure and armour of an object are the same thing. For example;

Your door might have 30 points, which is a huge amount, the same as a castle gate.

If the players do 28 points to it nothing happens, the door is unmoved.

If the do 33 points then the door takes 3 points and its armour and structure become 27 and this becomes the new total they must overcome

So if they then did 31 points 27-31=23

and this becomes the new armour/structure etc.

There is a table on page 82 of the RQ3 players book (A heavy wooden door has 8 points).

Simple.

You might want to give axes and other weapons a damage bonus and spears and others a minus

A different system works like this;

The weapon does an amount of damage which is compared with the objects Armour Points.

If it is greater the excess is take from the Structure Points.

When the Structure Points = 0 the object is broken

Simple.