The Company in print from DTRPG?

• 4 weeks later...

Its currently only in print from Lulu

http://www.lulu.com/shop/rik-kershaw-moore/the-company-soft-cover/paperback/product-20005425.html

I've no plans at the moment to release it via DriveThruRPG.com. Since the original author's disappearance from the Hobby, the game is in limbo. 

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

2 hours ago, chiisu81 said:

But you're the publisher of the game. And you've put in back for sale on DTRPG and Lulu, so it appears to prospective customers to have "active support"...

I suspect that, legally speaking, Lulu is providing a PDF-owner with a hardcopy they're legally-entitled to have.

But it sounds (from whet Newt's saying) that the publishing-rights may not be clear enough for him to simply re-issue it in a "published by d101" manner; or at least for him to feel like there's some legal or moral grey area where he'd rather not venture.

Shame that the author is unavailable!  That's also a title on my list...

C'es ne pas un .sig

LULU doesn't do pdf/print bundles by default. They want me to offer the pdf as a separate 'ebook' product :(  But I'm quite happy to provide a complimentary pdf to anyone who buys the print book from there, just send me your proof of purchase from lulu to newt@d101games.com and I'll sort you out.

To be clear on what is going on here.  The book was set up on Lulu before DriveThruRPG.com had a POD service. When  DriveThruRPG.com did start its POD service I was busy with other things. DriveThruRPG.com's POD is much more demanding and less forgiving than LULU's taking on average two weeks to get a proof through, and then its back to the start if you have issues with the proof. So it's a significant chunk of my time to put a POD book up on  DriveThruRPG.com.  

So fast forward a couple of months and then the author drops out of the hobby with very little warning, which was a quite a shock. So that put a spanner in the works for me as far as putting any more effort into the game.  I have the permission from the author to use the text, but it I was really counting on his help in going forward with it. Six months on and the sales have dwindled to almost nought so I decided to call it a day.  I told folk here and there was quite an outcry of support so I decided that keeping the book available in the formats that it was already available cost me nothing.   So as I said it's kinda in limbo ;) 

Ironically since I left it in this limbo sales have perked up slightly.  Maybe it deserves a refreshed version, fixing some of the issues that have raised their ugly head since its initial release (it's based on OpenQuest 1st edition - so there are a few kinks in the rules that need sorting out as well as another proofing pass ). I'd love to do a 2nd Editon, but I'm a bit daunted by the work involved (some serious research would have to be done on my part).

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

Thank you for keeping it available, Newt!  I got the pdf in a Bundle of Holding offering awhile back, if I recall correctly, but could not find the print version until recently.  I find Lulu to be a very difficult site on which to find things for which one does not already have a URL. 

I just bought a physical book. Though, I didn't notice the hard cover option until after I had placed the softcover order.  It would be nice of Lulu displayed all formats for the one book on the same screen.  I may buy another hardcover copy in the future.

Again, thank you for maintaining its availability and I understand why it may languish for some time longer before it receives the updates and tweeks that it deserves.

• Like 1