Site info

Welcome to BRP Central!

The first page of this thread will cover almost everything you need to know to get the most out of this website.

The rest of the thread is for site news, questions and feedback.

Scroll down to the appropriate post:

Profile - News

Edited by Trifletraxor

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

The first thing you should to after joining, is to get familiar with the User Control Panel, which you will find by clicking User CP on the right side of the blue navigation bar on top. You will then be taken to your User Control Panel, which sort of act as your control hub here on BRP Central. There's a lot of stuff you can do in the User CP, but let's start with the most important parts:

1. Setting an Avatar: Everyone should have their own custom avatar! Under the "Settings and Options" heading; click "Edit Avatar" and then mark "Use Custom Avatar". Either enter the URL to an image from another website, or browse your computer and upload an image from there, and then click "Save Changes". The avatar is limited to 100x100 pixels, and the forum software will automatically downscale it to that size if you use an image bigger than that. Great! You got an avatar. What's next?
  2. Editing your details: Click "Edit your details" under the "Your Profile" heading. In the "Optional Information"-block you'll be able to set a custom user title, and add your homepage to your profile if you have one, plus some other stuff. In the block below -"Additional Information", you can (and should!) fill in some stuff about yourself that will appear on your profile, so people can get to know you better by looking at your profile.
  3. Upload a profile picture: In addition to your avatar, you can upload a picture that will only appear in your profile - your profile picture. This one can be a bit larger - 150x200 pixels (again, the software will automatically downscale it to the right size if too large). A profile picture adds color to your profile, so go ahead and get one!
  4. Setting a Signature? If you'd like, you can add a signature that will appear with all your posts. To do this, click "Edit Signature" under the "Settings and Options" heading. You can add any type of BBC code found in the WYSIWYG editor, except no images.
Well that was the most basic stuff, but you can still improve your profile further if you want! Go to your profile, either by clicking the "Your Profile" heading in the User CP, or clicking your nick where ever you might see it blue and underlined (it's a link to your profile). You can create photo albums you can upload pictures to, and you can find or create a social group you would like to join. You can add friends to your profile, by going to your friends profiles and click "befriend X" in their "Friends"-block. You can also start a blog if you'd like, by clicking "Blogs" in the navbar above, and then clicking "Post to your Blog". Your new blog will be connected to your profile. For the real advanced ones of you, you can pimp your profile with your own color-choices, by clicking "Customize Profile", either in your User CP or in your profile. Edited by Trifletraxor

BRP Central's index page is where all the new supplements for Basic Roleplaying are announced. At least, all those we are aware of. Each of the supplements have their own news-blurb with an image linked to a discussion thread on the forum. We pride ourselves to be up-to-date on all the latest news, so if you happen to know something we don't, please do tell!

Only supplements written for Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying system are featured on the index page. The news blurbs will continously change their order so that the supplement with the latest news update will be on top. News about fan works and news for other systems should be announced in the forum.

Edited by Trifletraxor

The first page of this thread will slowly be edited to contain complete instructions for new (and old) members to get the most out of BRP Central. Just finished the Profile post, which include some info on how to pimp your profile. ;)

For those who haven't noticed it yet, we now have blogs software added. Just click "Blogs" in the navbar, and start up your own!

The downloads section was reorganized yesterday. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Any questions or suggestions, please post them in this thread! :)

Cheers,

Sverre.

I like the new organisation in the dl-section, although I would have prefered if all character sheets are sorted under game aids/character sheets. If necessary, you could insert subsubsections for each setting there.

The way it is now, all the "real" background content is overpowered by all the sheets.

I like the new organisation in the dl-section, although I would have prefered if all character sheets are sorted under game aids/character sheets. If necessary, you could insert subsubsections for each setting there.

The way it is now, all the "real" background content is overpowered by all the sheets.

Okay, I see your point. But with all the character sheets in the game aids/character sheet category, it would just become a mass of character sheets, and some of them are quite setting specific. Subcategories in the individual settings categories is a possibility. I've now pinned the more important documents in the setting categories so they appear on top, with sheets below. Did that help, or do you still think we should have subsections or move it somewhere else?

SGL.

It depends, for most of the categories it's ok. If you take a category like Fire & Sword - where 75% of the files are character sheets - it's still confusing (and making something sticky is not really an organisational tool I like).

I would prefer all sheets in one category with subcategories for settings, but maybe that's just me...

I would prefer all sheets in one category with subcategories for settings, but maybe that's just me...

Hmm... I can't make subcategories of subcategories without it looking very messy on the main page, as they all would appear under the supercategory (just found out). That would mean making a another supercategory called character sheets, and then put new setting categories there. Anyone else with opinions on this matter?

SGL.

• 3 weeks later...

Changed the way the news bits circulate on the news page. Before they where ordered according to when they where submitted. Now I'll put the one with the latest news / update on top. Hopefully, that will help making the new news more visible (and encourage the authors to update us on their progress! ;)).

SGL.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to subscribe to a thread that you've already responded to (but forgot to subscribe to)?

By the way, thanks for putting this together!

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So Triff,

What happened to the site over the weekend? Was it just an upgrade, or did the site get hacked, and you had to install new anti-hacker protection?

No hacking yet fortunately! :cool:

It was just the latest security patch which I had to install. Which means upgrading the entire forum software. It's allways quite tricky, which is why it was down for some hours.

Cheers,

:beetle:

No hacking yet fortunately! :cool:

It was just the latest security patch which I had to install. Which means upgrading the entire forum software. It's allways quite tricky, which is why it was down for some hours.

Cheers,

:beetle:

Yay! Whenever I see a "installing latest security upgrade" notice I tend to get paranoid and assume to worse. Glad it was just routine.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.