Dragondaze con, Newport, South Wales, 30th September 2017

Dimbyd

This coming Saturday- 30th November, the Newport Centre is hosting Dragondaze, a convention celebrating gaming, comics and other bits of geek culture for local charities. My friend John, a fine GM, is running the "Caves of Circind" Mythic Britain scenario. The convention runs from 10-5 and the session will run from 1 to 5 .

So, if you're in the area, feel free to join the game. 

Andrew

• Sad 1

I understand it was a bit of frustrating affair, after an hour 4 of the players decided to walk out on the other player & GM- both of whom I know. Shabby behaviour to a fine GM. If folks are going to Spaghetti Conjunction later this month in Birmingham, John will be running a homebrew Mythic Britain scenario, which I helped playtest this evening. Well worth your time.

Andrew 

Dragondaze sounds like one of those cons (like Wyntercon over in Eastbourne) that cater to families and boardgamers with a mix of anime, cosplay, boardgames. These congoers tend to go for 1 hour taster style sessions and often people do not understand that they have to  stay for the whole slot. Wyntercon had this issue for at least Its first two runs before they worked out that short taster sessions was all that most people would go for as there was so much to do and generally GMs don't want to act as a child sitting service while the rest of the family does other stuff (and presumably the other family member doesn't wish to be left out either).

If you are lucky the best way if to rustle up your own group and just use the con as a host for table space which is how our Southampton group approached Stabcon South this past weekend.

Nigel

RPGs are a bit of an afterthought, although the new home is better- So I understand, ironically I was in London for the day and couldn’t make it. Last year, everybody playing that I saw were adults, or at least older teenagers.

I suspect the group were hungry and were not signed up to any social contract- like respecting the work put in by the GM or the other player. The GMs are mainly from the same Newport gaming group, so doing the con as an extended club night isn’t really the point. One sad thing, the Cardiff University Gaming Society had its first event of the year on the same day, rather than taking part in a wider gaming community. Students, eh? 

Finally, John the GM did a playtest of a Mythic Britain homebrew scenario last night- he will likely run the session at Spaghetti Conjunction. First melee combat- a fumble by the attacker vs a critical by the defender (100% v 01%). Joyous. 

Andrew

On 10/8/2017 at 11:33 PM, Dimbyd said:

If folks are going to Spaghetti Conjunction later this month in Birmingham, John will be running a homebrew Mythic Britain scenario, which I helped playtest this evening. Well worth your time.

Any idea where/when Spaghetti Conjunction is going to be?

I am free to go at the end of October, so I do hope it is in the last week.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here