Augments and combat

Ian_W

Rules as written allow one Augment to be used once.

"Where appropriate, one ability—whether skill, Passion, or Rune—may be combined to augment another ability of the same or a different type. " p143

"The abilities being combined should be clearly relevant to the task at hand. It is the gamemaster’s sole discretion whether a combination of abilities is allowed. Only one augment may be attempted per ability, and an ability can only be used once per session to augment a task being attempted. "

"At the gamemaster’s discretion, an adventurer can use one ability to augment another adventurer’s ability, such as using one skill to bolster another, working cooperatively or in support of another. " p144

Note that - with rules as written - it is only one augment per attempt.

On the other hand, +20% is really important, if it pushes the skill being used over 100%, and thereby reduces the active defences of the enemy, as per

" . If the opponent is trying to parry, block, Dodge, or otherwise oppose the adventurer’s ability, then 100%+ ability gives a greater chance of preventing that opposition. If the highest rated participant in an opposed roll has an ability rating above 100%, the difference between 100 and their ability rating is subtracted from the ability of everyone in the contest (including themselves)." p143.

What does this mean ? The first thing is the GM needs to think about what they think about., say, Jump as an Augment. I'd argue - strongly - that an Orlanthi leaping behind his enemy to stab him better is a very Orlanthi thing to do - indeed, when dealing with windbags I would allow Orate or Sing as an augment as well (cf p270 'I challenged the priest of Thed that had slain Nathan and smiled as it replied in a howl of rage').

The second thing they need to think about is how generous they want to be with "in support of another" - will you let Eurmal get away with 'I do interpretive dance to look like I'm summoning a spirit, to allow my friend Orlanth to shank them'.

Finally, if this makes for Maximum Game Fun, whether they want to rule that "once per session" to mean something shorter, so Our Heroes use more of their character sheet.

Edited by Ian_W

56 minutes ago, Ian_W said:

'I do interpretive dance to look like I'm summoning a spirit, to allow my friend Orlanth to shank them'.

Now I got to wipe Coca-Cola off the monitor again.

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I think it means final say is in the hands of the GM, and as a result different groups will quite legitimately interpret the rules differently and use them in ways that suit their preferences and style of play.

I agree leaping into battle is very Orlanthi, and we have historical accounts of warriors doing exactly that.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

On 6/19/2018 at 2:54 AM, Ian_W said:

The second thing they need to think about is how generous they want to be with "in support of another" - will you let Eurmal get away with 'I do interpretive dance to look like I'm summoning a spirit, to allow my friend Orlanth to shank them'.

Oh, absolutely. I would definitely allow that.

We have used Distracting Puppies in HeroQuest, an ability of a well-endowed female PC to distract opponents with her charms. Mello Yello has Harmonius Dance, in our current campaign, which he uses to devastating effect as a distraction and also to seal Harmony Rune stuff.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here