Runemasters - Gloranthan Gaming at Continuum this weekend

MOB

cha4012runemasters-86357.1494881693.500.

Runemasters is a new Chaosium sponsored GM collective, formed to bring Gaming in Glorantha back to the Continuum Convention in Leicester. Ten GMs will be running 16 Gloranthan games between opening and closing ceremony.

Initially formed in response to the perceived lack of Gloranthan Gaming at the Continuum 2016 Convention, it is hoped, if successful, to expand the programme to other conventions.

More details at the link: https://www.chaosium.com/blogrunemasters-gloranthan-gaming-at-continuum-this-weekend/

banner-keary.jpg?t=1531887464

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can I ask what does this collective mean in practice? Are you providing them with scenarios? Dice? Something else?

I am asking because Finland is strong Glorantha country and our Ropecon convention will this year have nine Glorantha events (8 games, 1 talk). Okay, we are not short about providing the events but could it be more "organized" with this? Also having Glorantha stuff in other cons in Finland, too. Hopefully, we hear how it went in Continuum.

22 minutes ago, jrutila said:

Can I ask what does this collective mean in practice? Are you providing them with scenarios? Dice? Something else?

From the blog entry, this looks like a private initiative by these fans, with scenarios of their own, and not (yet) an Organized Play initiative. 

22 minutes ago, jrutila said:

I am asking because Finland is strong Glorantha country and our Ropecon convention will this year have nine Glorantha events (8 games, 1 talk). Okay, we are not short about providing the events but could it be more "organized" with this? Also having Glorantha stuff in other cons in Finland, too. Hopefully, we hear how it went in Continuum.

Finland has the Kalikos Society, possibly the biggest registered organized group of Glorantha fans right now (the German RuneQuest Gesellschaft e.V. aka Chaos Society remains active, but has shrunk in the number of members), other groups who organize conventions may be friendly towards Glorantha, but don't necessarily have it as a core activity.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

There is a prize draw, or so I am led to believe. All players (Except for players who are Rune Masters) will be entered into a draw, which will be drawn at the Closing Ceremony. Darren did tell me what the prize was, but I can't remember what it was. 

Chaosium have been very supportive of the RuneMasters.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 7/18/2018 at 10:32 PM, jrutila said:

I am all for these kind of initiatives rising from the fans. I think my question is boiling to: How can I, too, become a RuneMaster? It is interesting to hear from Continuum.

This all came from a conversation in the car when returning from Continuum 2016. We agreed that it was good, but there were virtually no Gloranthan games being run. So, rather than just moaning about it, Darren set up an informal group of Gloranthan GMs who could commit to running a Gloranthan game at Continuum 2018. He then set up a facebook Page, got more people involved, got a lot of help from Chaosium and snagged some space just for the RuneMasters. Dan Barker got some T-Shirts printed and Chaosium supplied something for the prize draw.

So, it has grown from just an idea to get more Gloranthan games at Continuum 2018.

Now, of course, it is semi-official and it might be possible to have RuneMasters at Dragonmeet, UK Games Expo or EternalCon, assuming that curfrent RuneMasters go there, or new ones can be recruited.

RuneMasters for Ropecon? Why not, sounds like a great idea. PM me your email address and I'll pass it on to Darren, so he can pass on his words of wisdom about how he set it up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

RuneMasters went down very well at Continuum 2018. We had something like 14 games running over 7 sessions, but might have been more games. Everyone looked smart in their T-Shirts and the sign-up sheets stood out on the sign-up baords. I think everyone had a good time playing and GMing the games.

Now, all we need to do is to work out how to export the RuneMasters experience to other countries and other cons. It is just a GM Collective, so we can have members from all across the globe.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 3