Multi-target Multimissile?

Simon Hallett

We have always played that MultiMissiles affect one target. However, we have a RuneSpell that allows MultiMissiles to be slit and affect multiple targets, only available to certain cults. I think I gave it to Saggitus.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

39 minutes ago, soltakss said:

It looks like a human female fighter to me.

Oh, stop looking at the breasts for a minute and check out the nasty with red eyes over on the right. ;)

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

One thing I miss from the projectile rules is the delay between releasing your missile and impact. If shooting your bow at maximum military range, a somewhat trained archer will at least have another arrow halfway to the target and a third one on the string by the time the first arrow impacts somewhere in the vicinity of the original target position, subject to your accuracy and small but cumulative unforeseeable interactions like erratic winds.

This is a good point, although my players rarely have the luxury of engaging at extended ranges. In my scenarios there always seems to be something on fire and billowing smoke, fog, driving rain, noxious fume from the neighbourhood chaos monster etc. so they normally don't see what they are fighting properly until it is about 10 metres away!

Definitely something to consider in those long range 'Agincourt' type engagements though. 

5 hours ago, Joerg said:

One thing I miss from the projectile rules is the delay between releasing your missile and impact. If shooting your bow at maximum military range, a somewhat trained archer will at least have another arrow halfway to the target and a third one on the string by the time the first arrow impacts somewhere in the vicinity of the original target position, subject to your accuracy and small but cumulative unforeseeable interactions like erratic winds.

Well a longbow arrow leave the bow at around 70m/second. So to get to maximum range in RQ would take 3-4 seconds, maybe 5 with deceleration. ? Can you really shoot two and a half arrows in 5 seconds? That's impressive. 

5 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

It's just that, in RQ3, there is a rule that if you shoot into melee your shot hits a random combatant in the melee. of targets is random. So if you had an ally facing off against three Broo, then you'd roll 1D4 to see who got hit. This reflected that combatants are not standing still and someone could step into the flight path of the arrow. Under those circumstances, it's possible for stray shots to hit different targets on the D4, because they are all close together. 

It never happened in our games, mostly because of the risk of skewering an ally .

I guess we must have houseruled that one, in that we let the archer have the shot at half skill; if they missed but otherwise would have hit due to the penalty, then it hit a random target in the melee.  We'd roll a second 'dummy' attack to see if that strike was a special or crit.

Happens fairly often in ours, as the main combatant is an Orlanthi Rune Lord with heavily-strengthening-enchanted armor and location hp's, such that he's not terribly afraid of anything but a crit.  So he tells his archer party members to go ahead and fire away, 

5 minutes ago, styopa said:

I guess we must have houseruled that one, in that we let the archer have the shot at half skill; if they missed but otherwise would have hit due to the penalty, then it hit a random target in the melee.  We'd roll a second 'dummy' attack to see if that strike was a special or crit.

Sounds like it. By RAW you divided you chance to hit by the number of targets. That was your chance to hit who you were aiming at. If you rolled higher than that, but under your skill, you hit a random target. And if you didn't care who you hit, you got a 5% bonus per body.

So, if a band of baddies was headed your way, you could just shoot into the mass. And it is a situation where I could see a multimissle getting split, or not. 

5 minutes ago, styopa said:

Happens fairly often in ours, as the main combatant is an Orlanthi Rune Lord with heavily-strengthening-enchanted armor and location hp's, such that he's not terribly afraid of anything but a crit.  So he tells his archer party members to go ahead and fire away, 

LOL! I have nightmares about a a player who I ran though the Rainbow Mounds. He was adventuring with two other characters-both elves. Naturally the elves hung back and relied on their bows. During the course of the adventure they kept shooting into melee, and did the lion's share of the damage,  and only once did one of their arrows strike the other player. It was a minor hit (2 points through armor) and the elf went up right after the battle and cast Heal 2 before the player even asked. Nevertheless he got upset about it and took a whack at the elf to chastise him, nearly killing him in the process. The other elf healed him, but things degenerated from there. When the angry PC fell into the water in the caves, one of the elves threw him a rope, both ends. 

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Well a longbow arrow leave the bow at around 70m/second. So to get to maximum range in RQ would take 3-4 seconds, maybe 5 with deceleration. ? Can you really shoot two and a half arrows in 5 seconds? That's impressive. 

Air drag is a factor, and the arrow is following the throw parable rather than doing a direct shot, with a release angle close to 45 degrees, which increases the distance traveled by the arrow. I tried this feat in the warm-up for a clout tournament, and did at least come close, but then I never was more than a somewhat competent amateur.

12 arrows in a minute are to be expected from an archer shooting "instinctively", and even a barebow archer using techniques like string-walking or varying anchor points can come close. Archers using olympic bows with all the counterweights and other aiming aids ánd ruled by the "clicker" for release can't approach that speed of course.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

56 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Air drag is a factor, and the arrow is following the throw parable rather than doing a direct shot, with a release angle close to 45 degrees, which increases the distance traveled by the arrow. I tried this feat in the warm-up for a clout tournament, and did at least come close, but then I never was more than a somewhat competent amateur.

True, you really have to arch it for a long range shot.  So maybe 8 seconds? 

56 minutes ago, Joerg said:

12 arrows in a minute are to be expected from an archer shooting "instinctively", and even a barebow archer using techniques like string-walking or varying anchor points can come close. Archers using olympic bows with all the counterweights and other aiming aids ánd ruled by the "clicker" for release can't approach that speed of course.

That's one every five seconds. In RQ with 2 arrows a MR you could get to 10. That's probably a bit closer to battle conditions.