Sedalpist sorcery

Manu

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

My next question is what cast are merchants? Merchant-prince ones are Noble, but shop keepers are likely Dronar.

I would organize the merchants into Houses, each with it's own preferred style of magics.  Looking at RQG, learning spirit magic is taught by people who know the spell (as opposed to the rules in Gods of Glorantha where you had to do spirit combat) but the person has to be a Rune Master and the person required about a week.  So I suggest that a benefit of successfully completing Sedalpist meditation (as opposed to practising it) would be to confer the ability to teach spirit spells.

A feature of the Sedalpists is that they split themselves into subcastes (Guide p623).  My understanding of such societies in the RW is that these subcastes are actually clans labelled as subcastes to make them look more impressive in certain circles (We Sedalpists are so civilised we have no clans!).    Likewise the sentence "Caste Distinctions are maintained [...]" suggests a less than fundamental acceptance of Caste is in play here.

Hence I would have the House as being a collection of Commoner Caste clans, each with a firmly defined demarcation of duties.  In practice,  the demarcation is ignored until somebody gets caught and it goes to court - then a fine is handed out and a required period of absolution.  Heading the House is the Noble clan, whose members are legally adopted as adults from the best and brightest of the lower clans.  

I imagined (but my ideas change) that he would be from a noble house of merchand, with a great fleet of vessels, lots of slaves and employees.

He could have a wizard tutor (hence knowing some sorcery) but destined to be the next 'Man of the House' (or woman of the house...), therefore he needs to be from the noble class (or can they be both?)

3 hours ago, Manu said:

I imagined (but my ideas change) that he would be from a noble house of merchand, with a great fleet of vessels, lots of slaves and employees.

He could have a wizard tutor (hence knowing some sorcery) but destined to be the next 'Man of the House' (or woman of the house...), therefore he needs to be from the noble class (or can they be both?)

The Sedalpists are undefined in many matters so what you are thinking is perfectly compatible.