What happens if both combatants in spirit combat drop to zero mps on the same round?

Brootse

I tested the spirit combat rules yesterday, and both the character and the ghost succeeded in their Spirit Combat rolls at the end and both dropped to 0 mps. Did I play it right, can that happen? And what would the result be? Is the ghost banished to the Spirit Dimension and does the character drop unconscious?

Edited by Brootse

That can only happen under extremely rare circumstances.  Spirit Combat is an opposed roll.  As it says on page 368:

An opposed roll may thus result in a winner and a loser, a tie, or two losers:

. .Winner and a Loser: The winner succeeds and
the loser fails. The winner does spirit combat
damage to the loser.
. . Tie: A tie (where both participants succeed but
achieve the same quality of result) means the situation
is temporarily unresolved. If both participants
rolled a critical success, the result is a tie. Both
parties do spirit combat damage to the other.

. . Two Losers: Both participants fail their roll.
Nothing happens unless one of the rolls is a
fumble (in which case, roll on the Spirit Combat
Fumble table).

So unless both crit at the same time, it's not possible for both sides to reach zero mps simultaneously.  In all other cases, either one side or the other loses mps or neither do. 

• Like 2

I don’t know if it’s that rare (statistically yes), its happened twice in my game with an assistant shaman versus a spirit both times. As the crit bypasses any spiritual armour and the damage is rolled twice, along with physical damage this can be a serious attack.  Crits aren’t that rare and in the same spirit combat, it depends how much you are doing in your game. The assistant shaman In my game always inspires themself at the very least with their death rune (high as they are in Waha’s cult), The only thing to add is that @Brootse they did crit, right. 

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

11 hours ago, Pentallion said:

That can only happen under extremely rare circumstances.  Spirit Combat is an opposed roll.  As it says on page 368:

So unless both crit at the same time, it's not possible for both sides to reach zero mps simultaneously.  In all other cases, either one side or the other loses mps or neither do. 

Ah, looks like that I misread it, and thought that you cause damage on all ties. Thanks!