Wiki on the way!

Trifletraxor

I have finally got around to the wiki, and is starting to understand how it works now. I will use approximately one week to organize it, and then it will be opened.

As wikis are favoured places for spam & sabotage, and such vile acts are more difficult to notice on a wiki, only does with a 100 posts under their belt in the forum will have editing rights. Those below that can post their suggestions and contributions in the discussion thread following the article, but cannot edit the article themselves.

So, Basic Roleplaying Wiki soon to come! :D

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

As wikis are favoured places for spam & sabotage, and such vile acts are more difficult to notice on a wiki, only does with a 100 posts under their belt in the forum will have editing rights.

100 posts, hmmm, I'm only on 48, so I need another 52 posts .....

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

As wikis are favoured places for spam & sabotage, and such vile acts are more difficult to notice on a wiki, only does with a 100 posts under their belt in the forum will have editing rights.

100 posts, hmmm, I'm only on 49, so I need another 51 posts .....

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

100 posts, hmmm, I'm only on 50, so I need another 50 posts .....

Can you spot the flaw, yet?

The edit restriction should be lowered to 50 post? ;)

Within the time the wiki is opened, all the regular posters will be over that (it goes fast). People spamming the forum is very easy to spot & ban though, compared to the wiki.

I also doubt someone would bother to post that much in the forum just to spam our wiki.

SGL.

No it should be limited to registered users, which is what we are doing with the new MRQ wiki, and have not had an issue yet.

But the old one was also limited to registered users weren't it?

The thing is that I've heard that users of this wiki-forum software have been troubled with spam, maybe even more so than mediawikis. By setting some sort of posting requirement first, bots can't get at it, and most "hackers" wouldn't bother.

SGL.

Sure, but that would also be extremely easy to spot, ban and restore. And then you would have to be very determined to access this special wiki, and not just spamming wikis in general. A problem with a wiki is that somebody can go in and redirect a link redirecting (to f.ex. a D&D site!! :eek:), and it would be pretty hard to spot. I would have to go through the logs every day to search out stuff like that.

With both registration and a post count requirement, I think we'll practically weed out all spammers, making the wiki quite easy to maintain.

Of course, granting access on an individual basis would also work, but I'm not sure if that's easier than just having a post requirement.

SGL.

But the old one was also limited to registered users weren't it?

The thing is that I've heard that users of this wiki-forum software have been troubled with spam, maybe even more so than mediawikis. By setting some sort of posting requirement first, bots can't get at it, and most "hackers" wouldn't bother.

SGL.

No it wasn't anyway could post without having an account, that was what all the spam was from.

Hey, I have a hundred posts and the door won't open for me! What's up?:)

Only I have access so far. I'll open it next weekend, just gotta structurize it a bit and write a "how to" in the introduction. ;)

I'll lower the post requirement to 50 posts, then everyone active on BRP Central will have access quick. Everyone will be able to read, all registered members will be able to post replies in the discussion, and all those with more than 50 posts will be able to edit. I think that's a valid compromise. :)

SGL.

Hey, I have a hundred posts and the door won't open for me! What's up?:)

You've got 100 posts?

I'll have to post more on the really interesting minutiae of guns and spears, then. :)

I'll lower the post requirement to 50 posts, then everyone active on BRP Central will have access quick.

Just when I'd organised my non-spamming spamming schedule :mad:

You've got 100 posts?

I'll have to post more on the really interesting minutiae of guns and spears, then. :)

Well there is plenty of minutiae to go around.:D And those aren't my only interests. I have bothered Jason with questions, looked at the settings problem, and dropped various comments here and there. So broaden your horizons and comment on everything. Or do what Badcat does and just tell everyone that things are fine the way they are.:D

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek: