Glowing Blue Snakes

Grimmshade

The picture of the pregen Yanioth Vareena's Daughter has glowing blue snakes on her arms. Is that just fluff roleplaying set dressing, or is it a more meaningful spell effect?

One of my players was inspired by the picture to ask if she could have some simple "cantrips" that do things like make her eyes glow and have spirit-like dragon wings appear from her back when she casts a spell. 

Is it normally cool to allow PC's some free roleplay "cantrips"? Can this stuff be done with a Rune roll?

I'd go a step further. Don't just "let your players", encourage your players to have visual and auditory effects to their spells. Magic in Glorantha is not subtle or quiet. Some spirit magic might be, but all Rune and Sorcery magic definitely has very real, very obvious effects.

As for cantrips - I'd say there's no point in rolling anything if a player just wants to add a visual descriptor to what their character is doing. If they want that visual effect to have a meaningful impact (say, impress the tribal king), then I'd say this counts as using an augment, specifically a rune augmenting a skill. And in those cases, I'd always ask the players in what way their augment manifests itself. You are channelling the power of one of the runes, after all!

• Like 4

Non-canonical suggestions.

Rune

Effects

Darkness

Sight: black shadows.

Sensation: cold, apprehension and fear.

Sound: echoing, unsettling subsonic effects.

Smell: rot.

Physical: shifting shadows, light fades to twilight, frost, ice.

Water

Sight: rippling blue light.

Sensation: dampness.

Sound: water dripping or running.

Smell: wetness.

Physical: fog; rain, water welling up from the earth, disturbances in bodies of water.

Earth

Sight: glowing green light.

Sensation: vibration.

Sound: rumbling in the earth.

Smell: moist soil.

Physical: plants grow, flowers bud and open, earth tremors. Dark Earth magic causes fissures and cracks to appear.

Fire/Sky

Sight: yellow or golden light.

Sensation: warmth, heat, thirst.

Sound: crackling of flames.

Smell: burning, smoke.

Physical: warmth, spontaneous combustion, sunlight brightens.

Air

Sight: blue or orange light.

Sensation: breeze or wind.

Sound: thunder.

Smell: ozone.

Physical: electrical discharges, clouds, thunder, lightning, haze.

Moon

Red Moon:

Sight: roiling red light, sometimes silver at night; strobing red and black when the Red Moon is not Full; completely black when the moon is Dying or Black.

Sensation: calm/unease; rarely psychosis.

Sound: faint ringing.

Smell: exotic perfume/repellant aroma.

Physical: sunlight reddens.

Blue Moon:

Sight: shimmering faint blue light.

Sensation: nausea, phantom presence, psychosis.

Sound: faint whispering.

Smell: unidentifiable scent.

Physical: brief tidal tugging.

Chaos

Sight: eerie glowing lights, shifting in color and brightness.

Sensation: dread, panic, mass insanity.

Sound: uncanny sounds, howling, screaming, silence.

Smell: peculiar sweet-sour stench.

Physical: unnatural changes in the environment, crackling or wailing holes open leading to the Void.

Magical Effects

• Like 7

On 9/26/2018 at 7:20 PM, Grimmshade said:

The picture of the pregen Yanioth Vareena's Daughter has glowing blue snakes on her arms. Is that just fluff roleplaying set dressing, or is it a more meaningful spell effect?

One of my players was inspired by the picture to ask if she could have some simple "cantrips" that do things like make her eyes glow and have spirit-like dragon wings appear from her back when she casts a spell. 

Is it normally cool to allow PC's some free roleplay "cantrips"? Can this stuff be done with a Rune roll?

Rune tattoos are common, as foci & other spell linkages, or just as a loud&proud statement of allegiance.  I would presume that when casting they would glow, shimmer, float off the body, seem to be (or reallly be) the origin of the magic, etc etc etc.  Not that any of this would make a difference to the spell-effect, or have any game-mechanical impact (other than the "oh shit" moment when the ENTIRE group of foes suddenly pegs ONE caster as a bigger threat than the rest of the party ... )

Dragonwing tattoos might we'll have a similar occurrence for a character with Draconic links/affiliations/aspirations/etc.

Edited by g33k
Double-Damned autocorrect
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig