When did the newtling breeding gounds move to the New Fens?

Joerg

When did the newtling breeding grounds (or perhaps better ponds) get moved to the Noshain River valley? Was this a consequence of the Goddess Switch?

At the Dawn, we find the main newtling population sheltering a bunch of Pelaskites and others at Serid Yarkassa, the city of Amphibos, the newtling Silver Age hero of Kethaela. Given the duration of the Silver Age (estimated the equivalent of 150 years) and the rather short life-span of newtlings in the bachelor stage, I have to assume that the newtlings were capable of breeding there if they survived until the Dawn. However, in the Third Age, after the Closing has struck, we find one of the companions of Dormal a bachelor newtling in dire need to return to the New Fens for breeding, and the Guide tells us that most newtlings of southern Genertela have their origin there.

How did this come to pass?

One earlier possible reason for migration might have been Palangio's establishment of the dragonewt colony of Ryzel near the Noshain River. One later possible reason for the newtlings no longer able to breed in Kethaela could have been Veskarthen's Devastation of the Vent destroying the conditions which allowed them to breed in the tidal pools of the Rightarm Isles, but at that time the Closing would have been as much a problem to the adult newtlings as at the time of Dormal's first voyage. The Goddess Switch predates the Closing, making a resettlement hard but not impossible, although the New Fens had not become fens then. On the other hand, the southern islands of the Wenelian peninsula may have offered suitable conditions for the amphibians prior to the Devastation.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Hasn't there always been breeding grounds in the New Fens? I seem to recall reading that many, many years ago.

No reason why there can't be more than one. In my recent Gloranthan game, I had a small breeding grounds in the Corflu Delta, for example. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The New Fens have that name because they came into being after the Devastation of the Vent (Guide p.352). If you look at the map of 2nd Age Slontos (p.351), you will see comparatively dry lowlands along the Noshain River north of the Mralot Hills.

Edited by Joerg

The destruction of Slontos sent a tsunami over the Rightarm Islands, so my guess is that would have devastated the breeding pools (assuming that Newtlings have low tolerance for salt) . Once the New Fens settled Newtling refugees would find is an ideal place to settle.

however in my own game Serid Yarassa was abandoned before this, after the collapse of the Unity Council which demoted the Newtlings from a proud Elder Race to what they are now - and they've been on the periphery ever since. 

So, I just googled a bit about this, and I came across a Talk page on the wiki, where someone was talking about Serid Yarkassa and a hero called Amphibos. They were unable to find a literary reference for the character, and then said it was more of an inference. This conversation was from 2011.

So, I guess I'm wondering, is there a reference for Amphibos anywhere? Sounds like a pretty interesting character.

7 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

So, I just googled a bit about this, and I came across a Talk page on the wiki, where someone was talking about Serid Yarkassa and a hero called Amphibos. They were unable to find a literary reference for the character, and then said it was more of an inference. This conversation was from 2011.

That someone was me.

7 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

So, I guess I'm wondering, is there a reference for Amphibos anywhere? Sounds like a pretty interesting character.

Try History of the Heortling Peoples p.9

Serid Yarkassa (City Of Amphobos)
• Magical town/port
• Rightarm Isles
• 300 people, 700 newtlings, many others
• fishing, gathering
• newtling (humans are Pelaskites)
• Choralinthor, Pelaskos

When I collected the index, the goal was to give myself, Greg and other developers a lookup table to find stuff that had been written. The data came up in a discussion of the Silver Age heroes, quite possibly wearing my hat as "expert" for the Holy Country.

• Like 1