"Station" ??

Archivist

I found the following comment on an old RPGNet thread talking about converting Werewolf the Apocalypse to HeroQuest. I'm pretty sure this person was talking about an earlier version. Here's the quote

Another way you could treat things is to make some rule where you have a "permanent" Rage rating, which is your default ability at the start of any given episode. This ability goes up as things happen that make your Werewolf angry - failing, humiliation, being shot, being hit with a rolled up newspaper, etc.

You use this pool in much the same way as completing a heroquest station (see HQ p202) - you roll a contest of your Rage vs. the amount of bonus you want to gain to relevant abilities for the rest of the scene. The difference from the normal heroquest station is that, whether you "win" the challenge or not, you always lose points from your temporary Rage ability, treating it as a "marginal defeat" if you actually won the contest.

What is/was a "station"? Is there some analogue for that in the current ruleset?

1 hour ago, Archivist said:

What is/was a "station"? Is there some analogue for that in the current ruleset?

In a HeroQuest it represents a specific episode or encounter or stage (i.e. the next 'station' on the quest).  In the Eringulf example (HQG p.197-8) they are equivalent to Obstacles 1-4 + the Climax.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jajagappa said:

In a HeroQuest it represents a specific episode or encounter or stage (i.e. the next 'station' on the quest).  In the Eringulf example (HQG p.197-8) they are equivalent to Obstacles 1-4 + the Climax.

Yeah, the idea is very similar to one you use in oral storytelling performances. You divide up the story into steps that should happen in order to complete the quest. The steps provide a plot augment on success to the completion of the final step. When you get magical support from your community it has to be pre-applied to a step.

The problem with steps is that because you know them before you set out, the story is solely pushed forward by 'conflict' (what stops you passing the step) and not revelation (what is going to happen).

Attempts were made to fix that, with steps varying in form when you do the quest, but structurally fulfill the same role, and the idea that you could mis-identify the step. and use your magic early, but whilst it was a great GM tool its bleeding out into character knowledge was a problem.

I would still work with the idea, as a GM, of pairing down the myth the players have into key points, and then rebuilding the adventure around those, perhaps in ways that differ from the 'myth' that the players have, to create drama through revelation.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 4:02 PM, Archivist said:

I found the following comment on an old RPGNet thread talking about converting Werewolf the Apocalypse to HeroQuest. I'm pretty sure this person was talking about an earlier version. Here's the quote

If I were looking to simulate the Rage Point mechanic, I'd actually look at the rules for how community resources fluctuate when drawn upon. Role your Rage as an augment and you risk depleting it, but things can also increase it over time. You'd need to work out the time intervals and amounts, but the basic framework is there.

2 hours ago, Archivist said:

Yes that's what I'm looking for John L

Great.  While you're at it, use that Rage like a Flaw if somebody wants to stay calm under provocation, avoid creeping out animals, date non-Kinfolk, etc.  :)

I suppose you could do the same for Gnosis as well, if you wanted to mechanize that side of things too. I might just roll that into hypothetical Auspice/Breed/Tribe keywords though,  and have Theurge, Philodox, Metis, Lupus, and the more mystical Tribes will face lower resistances for spiritual matters than their more worldly kin. 

Man, Werewolf: the HeroQuest would be really easy now that you've got me thinking about it.

Keywords for Breed, Tribe, and Auspice. Gifts as breakouts under each. Breed can also include your pre-change life/background. Rage and Renown as resource-type abilities. Septs are communities, though you could have an ability representing a strong tie to a tribal faction as well. Garnish to taste with a few more discretionary abilities and points and you've got yourself a Garou.

Follow the fiction WRT healing times/regeneration for physical consequences. You could maybe allow a Rage roll to self-Assist during an extended contest if you really want to get fiddly with regeneration. I'd probably just narrate it though, and set either set higher resistance for silver/fire/etc threats (if you're leading with credibility) or introduce those in-fiction elements to justify higher resistances and physical consequences (if you're leading with story-flow).

I'd make Renown rating thresholds requirement to challenge for next Rank, Cubs start with 10 (maybe more if they're Silver Fangs or something) maybe:

0:10

1:15

2:1M

3: 10M

4: 1M2

5: 1M3

You could roll your Renown to convince elders/spirits to teach you Gifts, augment social/political contests, etc.

You could treat a Pack Totem like a friendly community with resource abilities as well. Maybe tick its ratings up when pack members rise in Rank or otherwise do great deeds.

Edited by JonL
  • Thanks 1