Children born and Marriages

Oracle

During the creation of an extended Family History for a new RuneQuest Adventurer, I've realised the following:

The Family History tables in the RuneQuest: Adventuring in Glorantha rule book seem to imply, that (at least in many cases) marriages happen after a child has been born from the relationship between the people to be married.

• Adventurer characters are born in the year 1604 (last section on p. 31)
  • The parents of the adventurer, if married, would have been married by the year 1605 (boxed text on the top of p. 33).

This was kind of a surprise to me, because I do not think, that this is the normal custom.

But I may be wrong here, so I would like to know, if I'm missing something here ...

17 minutes ago, Oracle said:

During the creation of an extended Family History for a new RuneQuest Adventurer, I've realised the following:

The Family History tables in the RuneQuest: Adventuring in Glorantha rule book seem to imply, that (at least in many cases) marriages happen after a child has been born from the relationship between the people to be married.

• The parents of the adventurer, if married, would have been married by the year 1605 (boxed text on the top of p. 33).

This was kind of a surprise to me, because I do not think, that this is the normal custom.

But I may be wrong here, so I would like to know, if I'm missing something here ...

English is not my native language and I thus may be mistaken, but if I remember, "would have been married by the year 1605" means "have probably been married in 1605 or before".

Kloster

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Often a year marriage (not a full one) results in a child, and if the parents choose, they then make an open-ended, formal marriage. Some year marriages are created to see if the pair is fertile, because child-bearing is necessary to be a full initiate of Ernalda. If the match doesn't produce a child, it is automatically dissolved.

• Like 1

I do not recall hearing that this applied to Glorantha in general, or Sartar in particular, but I do recall from anthro in college where in some cultures, children were an important-enough critereon that many prospective grooms insisted their bride-to-be be pregnant or even give birth, before they'd get married; and largely NOT insist on any certainty of paternity.  They just wanted to be sure the woman was fertile...

C'es ne pas un .sig